What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.8 Beta is out for specific models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello

I download the file for my GT-AX11000.

However the file have this name "GT-AX11000_PRO_386.8_beta1.zip". Could you please confirm if the PRO in the name is normal ?

Thanks in advance

Looks fine, do a hash check against this value to be sure.

SHA256:
4ce1f58c2fac196fc93ff124f8c7ba115efe6379c387ad12d8af5a27e1d25e0c

BetaAsus.png

Yep. Only loaded the beta a couple of hours ago but so far everything is stable, no issues noticed.

I have installed beta over alpha on my AXE16000, which is the master of an AiMesh with two other AXE11000 as nodes. Have noticed two things:
1. I cannot find the RGB control for the nodes anymore under AiMesh>Management. Did it move someplace else or is it missing? BTW I also cannot find the option to assign the Boost button the ability to turn on/off the RGB. The AXE16000 doesn't have such a button, but the nodes do have it.

1659890142653.png

2. In the Network Map>System Status I see 7 ports, LAN1-6 and WAN. I am using 10G Ethernet 1 as the WAN port and the 2.5G port is disconnected. However, it seems the WAN and LAN 5 are the same thing in the output and there is no room for the 2.5G port if used as a LAN. Shouldn't the number be LAN 1-7 so we count the 4x1G, the 1x2.5G and the 2x10G ports individually and then maybe the WAN mirror whichever port is configured as so? Is it even possible to use the 2.5G port as LAN if it is not used for WAN?

1659890350531.png

Wireless mode.... To change from auto to AX mode or AC/N/AX mode. It simply will not make the change. Keeps being stuck on Auto on 5ghz-1 and AX mode on 5ghz-2....
It does properly change it (wl0_nmode_x does reflect the new value if I change it), however the webui dropdown doesn't reflect the currently selected option.

Note that there are a few other visual issues left to fix with that page, like the 5 GHz-2 band showing the 6 GHz band options instead of the 5 GHz-1 options. I already fixed it on my end, but I'm waiting on confirmation by Asus that the intended fix is correct.

1. I cannot find the RGB control for the nodes anymore under AiMesh>Management. Did it move someplace else or is it missing? BTW I also cannot find the option to assign the Boost button the ability to turn on/off the RGB. The AXE16000 doesn't have such a button, but the nodes do have it.
Everything related to AiMesh is closed source and outside of my control.

The main boost button option was moved to the Administration -> System page (since it was only visible on the ROG UI).

As I see other AX88U users report all good, I think I miss something.
My ASUS system is AX88U router- Wireless backhaul- AX88U AP node- Wired backhaul AX56u AP node

All nodes in the network are synced to 386_5.2.
For day and half the network is stable and performing well.

What would be most ideal procedure to update, if any?
If I have tried to update Both Alpha& Beta, and just Alpha with Factory reset, is there any point to try again?

Thank you!

As I see other AX88U users report all good, I think I miss something.
My ASUS system is AX88U router- Wireless backhaul- AX88U AP node- Wired backhaul AX56u AP node

All nodes in the network are synced to 386_5.2.
For day and half the network is stable and performing well.

What would be most ideal procedure to update, if any?
If I have tried to update Both Alpha& Beta, and just Alpha with Factory reset, is there any point to try again?

Thank you!
Start by disabling options that are well known to cause compatibility issues with IoT devices. If they connect to the 2.4 GHz band, then disable the following on the 2.4 GHz band:

802.11ax
Multiuser MIMO
Airtime Fairness (should be disabled by default with my firmware)
Both implicit and explicit beamforming
Set max modulation mode to max 7 instead of max 11

AX88U dirty upgrade from 386.7_2. No manual restart of AX88U after upgrade.
Everything works 100%, all my 26 devices/IoT's, my Ring-system and my old AC68 as media-bridge.

What about the 2.5G interface missing from the Ethernet Ports? Is it even possible to use the 2.5G as a LAN port?
I have installed beta over alpha on my AXE16000, which is the master of an AiMesh with two other AXE11000 as nodes. Have noticed two things:
2. In the Network Map>System Status I see 7 ports, LAN1-6 and WAN. I am using 10G Ethernet 1 as the WAN port and the 2.5G port is disconnected. However, it seems the WAN and LAN 5 are the same thing in the output and there is no room for the 2.5G port if used as a LAN. Shouldn't the number be LAN 1-7 so we count the 4x1G, the 1x2.5G and the 2x10G ports individually and then maybe the WAN mirror whichever port is configured as so? Is it even possible to use the 2.5G port as LAN if it is not used for WAN?

View attachment 43357

What about the 2.5G interface missing from the Ethernet Ports? Is it even possible to use the 2.5G as a LAN port?
I don't know, and I can't test this at the moment.

Ok. A Re-test done now.
386 5 2 to 386 8 B1.

WiFi optimization is still not working, it just says reconnect to same unit. Though- most of devices connected- some have not. (22 out of 30 managed to reconnect on their own)

I see Chrome Cast having most difficulty to re connect after a dissconect.

Edit: now I see. The roaming assistant thats enabled is being ignored.
Roaming assistant is set to roam end devices in -70dBm, and it is not work.
That is the whole WIfi issue...
Tried disable and re enable manually- just not work.

My AX56U up and down. Like AX88U is having hard time to "see him" as a Wired backhaul.

IPv6 takes 7 mins to obtain here instead of 1.5m.
That thing happened in 386 7 as well, I do not know what changed there.
In 386 5 2 it takes 1.5 minutes.

At least now it works. Maybe not flawless but works.
Hope the SDK would have more changes that will solve these little things.

Last edited:
It does properly change it (wl0_nmode_x does reflect the new value if I change it), however the webui dropdown doesn't reflect the currently selected option.

Note that there are a few other visual issues left to fix with that page, like the 5 GHz-2 band showing the 6 GHz band options instead of the 5 GHz-1 options. I already fixed it on my end, but I'm waiting on confirmation by Asus that the intended fix is correct.
Awesome thanks for checking!

Updated to the latest beta for GT-AXE16000 and my external Samsung T7 disconnected on my Time Machine (MacOS Ventura beta 2). GT-AXE16000 could see the disk no problem but when I tried to setup the backup disk in MacOS I received an error statement basically saying the disk is not supported. Reverted to latest stock ASUS firmware and MacOS setup the USB disk no problem. FYI

Updated to the latest beta for GT-AXE16000 and my external Samsung T7 disconnected on my Time Machine (MacOS Ventura beta 2). GT-AXE16000 could see the disk no problem but when I tried to setup the backup disk in MacOS I received an error statement basically saying the disk is not supported. Reverted to latest stock ASUS firmware and MacOS setup the USB disk no problem. FYI
Sorry not developed by @RMerlin you would have to take this up with Asus.

Try switching from afp: to smb: or vice versa when connecting. macOS devices can be finicky.

Is this the one with the Wireguard support (new beta firmware on AX88U firmware on Asus site)?

Last edited:
Is this the one with the Wireguard support (new beta firmware on AX88U firmware on Asus site)?
No
This Asuswrt-Merlin beta is based on 386.49674
And the one with wireguard is Asus own beta-388.20477

Another bug worth mention.
Ch control switching on its own to AUTO, when I want to manually sign my Ch, it do not appear in the list (appear 64 max).
Under AUTO it automatically choose 161/80Mhz.
If I reboot the router, ch 161 is appear on Ch comtrol, and then switch to AUTO on its own.
5Ghz band I mean

For your check @RMerlin

Last edited:
In addition, Ookla starts to prioritize IPv6 servers, so IPv6 got to obtain perfectly soon with the new FW soon, so they could prioritize IPv6 speedtest as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!