What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 Beta is available for select models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are using a mix of filtered, Quad9, and unfiltered, Cloudflare DNS resolvers which is not giving you the best protection from malware and other bad actors.
I recommend you use Cloudflare Security with Quad9. It is a manual entry with anycast addresses of 1.1.1.2 and 1.0.0.2 and TLS Hostname of security.cloudflare-dns.com
IPV6 for Cloudflare Security would end in 1112 and 1002
For better performance I would alternate IPV4 and IPV6 addresses.
Better yet just stick with Quad9!

Thats quite a few bad blocks. The nand device on most any router will have some bad blocks. But, as long as the mtd driver is doing it's job, it would mark them as bad and unusable.
You will have less available storage on the partition(s) that those blocks are on - but as you said - everything seems normal.
Just curious why they came with 388. No bad blocks before.

You are using a mix of filtered, Quad9, and unfiltered, Cloudflare DNS resolvers which is not giving you the best protection from malware and other bad actors.
I recommend you use Cloudflare Security with Quad9. It is a manual entry with anycast addresses of 1.1.1.2 and 1.0.0.2 and TLS Hostname of security.cloudflare-dns.com
Plus one!

Just curious why they came with 388. No bad blocks before
Not sure when Asus scans and maps them out. Maybe every boot. Just not sure.
Bad block management is "dynamic" in that as writes are occurring to nand/mtd devices if it finds a problem with a block it marks it as "bad" and uses another block. Thats the concern - over time if bad blocks start happening more and more - at some point the partition become unusable...

If you have Entware installed, I had worked on an application (mtd_check) a few months back that will scan an mtd partition and show information. I was based on an old nand_check program written by Chris Simmonds. I updated and added many options. I was/am working on an Addon (mtdmon) that would run mtd_check nightly and check for new bad blocks on a partition. Its almost done but a cross country move got in the way ;-)

The application is called mtd_check and runs on arm based Asus routers. There are 2 different binaries (a 32 and 64 bit). The installer checks and install the correct binary in /opt/bin.

It never writes to the mtd device so it's pretty safe.

Here is a link to my github page. Follow the Readme to install.

I have the same issue with two AX86U nodes with Beta2 (or Beta1). Putting them back to Stock firmware then all ok. Nodes of AX56U & AXE11000 with Beta2 (or Beta1) no issues. The uplink device is a AX6000.
Reflashed my AX86u node back to stock 388.20566 and link is green, then back to 388.1 b2 and link shows broken again, but the mesh is working fine and all devices on the node are connecting to Internet. Annoying but seems to be moslty a cosmetic problem.

Can you post yours, please? Did I get closer?
1668373492228.png

I think I found my issue. HBO max is horrible with IPv6. Disney+ 2nd bad. Netflix is ok. Had to disable IPv6 and everything was back to normal.

Any known changes to AX88U between 2 Beta?
Zero change to wifi. Your issue is most likely you are using DFS channels, which requires the router to spend at least a minute listening for the presence of radar traffic before allowing the router to use the DFS channel.

Passthrough, if your Asus is behind ISP modem/router. Native, if your Asus is connected to modem only. Disabled, if you don't need IPv6.
I have Verizon 5g home(ARC-XCI55AX) setup as a passthrough. I used IPv6 with passthrough but makes HBO max and sometimes Disney+ unusable. I don't know if it is ARC-XCI55AX causing the issues. I have searched and it seems IPv6 is a known issue with HOB max.

Not familiar with your 5g device and Internet service, sorry. If everything works properly with IPv6 disabled, keep it this way.

Can you post yours, please? Did I get closer?
View attachment 45460
Not for Cloudflare Secure. The IP Addresses need to end in 2 and the TLS Hostname needs to be security.cloudflare-dns.com

These are manual entries and not in Merlin's list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!