What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 Beta is available for select models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
HBO max has issues

This entire page is unrelated to 388 beta release. If you have general configuration questions, you shouldn't be running this beta firmware. Revert to stable firmware and open separate threads for DNS and IPv6 configurations instead.

Upgraded GT-AXE16000 to Beta 2 and it works fine. Previously had issues in Alpha with constant rebooting and couldn't get it to work. Good now.

I have both Wireguard and Cake running on my AX88U. Have we found out why the GUI reports both of these enabled?
View attachment 45449
Shouldn't Flow Cache be disabled?
The scenario I was able to reproduce is if you disable QoS (after running either Cake or T.QoS), then FC gets re-enabled without realizing that WG still needs it to stay disabled.

I'm discussing a long-term solution with Asus, but in the mean time I have a solution that should at least take care of this specific scenario (still need to be tested). A long term solution would ensure that other potential scenarios I might have missed would also be handled properly.

Upgraded GT-AXE16000 to Beta 2 and it works fine. Previously had issues in Alpha with constant rebooting and couldn't get it to work. Good now.
It was possibly related to the AIProtection + 2.5 or 10 Gbps WAN link conflict that was resolved in beta 2.

This entire page is unrelated to 388 beta release. If you have general configuration questions, you shouldn't be running this beta firmware. Revert to stable firmware and open separate threads for DNS and IPv6 configurations instead.
That is what I figured that it is not a firmware issue. HBO Max and Disney+ have their own issues with IPv6. I don't want people to think that there is an issue with Mernil's fw.

Last edited:
Not sure if I stumbled on a bug or some errant process or what, but bringing it up in case anyone else runs into this. 388 beta1, on AX88 for a few days now. Kicking myself for not saving the log before the reboot. Was getting ready to go to 388 beta 2 when I noticed the memory on the router up at 97%. I have a script that is scheduled via cron that clears out the cache every morning, keeping RAM around 60% (containing
echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches). I then jumped over to spdMerlin and saw the last scheduled Speedtest ran two days ago. So I got to the command line and ran "crontab -l" and saw a lot of items removed. So I rebooted (still under 388 beta1 and again kicking myself for not saving the log) and it all came back. Note: I've been running that memory clearing command/script since the begining of 384.15 release with no issues...

ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AX88U 388.1_beta1 Sat Nov 5 23:19:03 UTC 2022

** Before Reboot **

Master@AX88-Office:/tmp/home/root# crontab -l
0 * * * * sh /jffs/scripts/firewall save #Skynet_save#
38 */12 * * * sh /jffs/scripts/firewall debug genstats #Skynet_genstats#

** After Reboot **

Master@AX88-Office:/tmp/home/root# crontab -l
45 4 * * * sh /jffs/addons/channelhog/channelhog.sh check #ChannelHog#
34 6 * * * /jffs/addons/amtm/ledcontrol -on #amtm_LEDcontrol_on#
35 17 * * * /jffs/addons/amtm/ledcontrol -off #amtm_LEDcontrol_off#
15 3 * * SAT,TUE /jffs/addons/amtm/ledcontrol -upd #amtm_LEDcontrol_update#
5 0 * * * /opt/sbin/logrotate /opt/etc/logrotate.conf >> /opt/tmp/logrotate.daily 2>&1 #logrotate#
*/2 * * * * /etc/openvpn/server1/vpn-watchdog1.sh #CheckVPNServer1#
24 23 */7 * * service restart_letsencrypt #LetsEncrypt#
*/5 * * * * /jffs/scripts/dn-vnstat generate #dn-vnstat_generate#
59 23 * * * /jffs/scripts/dn-vnstat summary #dn-vnstat_summary#
*/3 * * * * /jffs/scripts/connmon generate #connmon#
*/10 * * * * /jffs/scripts/ntpmerlin generate #ntpMerlin#
25 11 * * * sh /jffs/scripts/firewall banmalware #Skynet_banmalware#
15 1 * * Mon sh /jffs/scripts/firewall update #Skynet_autoupdate#
0 * * * * sh /jffs/scripts/firewall save #Skynet_save#
12,42 * * * * /jffs/scripts/spdmerlin generate #spdMerlin#
0 0 * * * /jffs/scripts/vpnmgr refreshcacheddata #vpnmgr_cacheddata#
31 */12 * * * sh /jffs/scripts/firewall debug genstats #Skynet_genstats#

Starting the move to 388 beta 2 on the AX88 and AX86 mesh nodes. Not sure what the root cause of this was, but will be looking out for this occurring going forward. Except this time I'll save the log before the reboot...

*Edit/Update* on 388 beta 2 on the AX88 and both AX86 - dirty upgrade and no issues, other than the Aimesh showing disconnected, but working 100% so far.

Last edited:
That is what I figured that it is not a firmware issue. HBO Max and Disney+ have their own issues with IPv6. I don't want people to think that there is an issue with Mernil's fw.
No issues here with HBO Max and Disney+ on IPv6. I have been running this configuration for over a year. My ISP is Comcast.

I had 2.4 WiFi issues with the first alpha GT-AXE16000. I couldn’t get anything other than my iPhone to connect on 2.4 so rolled back.

Everything is fine but I’ve not since been able to flash any 388.1 versions - it fails constantly.

HB
Thanks for this.

I have now rolled back my GT-AX6000 to 386 and 2.4 is working fine, even after using the toggle switch to turn WiFi off and then on.

In hindsight, it might have been a warning that Asus has not yet released a 388 firmware for the GT-AX6000.

Could someone with a AX-86U please do a "df -h" and post the output? I'm interested in how much capacity is missing because of my tons of bad blocks... Thank you in advance!

Code:
ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AX86U 388.1_beta2 Fri Nov 11 21:33:13 UTC 2022
admin@router:/tmp/home/root# df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
ubi:rootfs_ubifs         77.7M     67.7M     10.1M  87% /
devtmpfs                455.9M         0    455.9M   0% /dev
tmpfs                   456.0M    220.0K    455.8M   0% /var
tmpfs                   456.0M      2.0M    454.0M   0% /tmp/mnt
ubi1:data                 4.5M     72.0K      4.1M   2% /data
tmpfs                   456.0M      2.0M    454.0M   0% /tmp/mnt
tmpfs                   456.0M      2.0M    454.0M   0% /tmp
/dev/mtdblock9           47.0M      8.9M     38.1M  19% /jffs
tmpfs                   456.0M      2.0M    454.0M   0% /www/require/modules/menuTree.js

Heres mine mate

asus1.jpg

Note: I've been running that memory clearing command/script since the begining of 384.15 release with no issues...

Which memory cleaning script? Where do I find it? How do I install it? And why would you say it's important? Where does it help? Thank you for the response.

The following logs are flooding syslog (mac address changes), weren't there on 386 (bsd logs from smartconnect in general). Is there any trick to stop it?

Code:
Nov 14 01:33:37 bsd: bsd: STA:8c:...:ab no response
Nov 14 01:33:37 bsd: bsd: Sending act Frame to 8c:...:ab with transition target eth7 ssid 7c:...:8c
Nov 14 01:33:39 bsd: bsd: STA:8c:...:ab no response
Nov 14 06:10:18 bsd: bsd: Sending act Frame to 50:...:ee with transition target eth7 ssid 7c:...:8c
Nov 14 07:14:06 bsd: bsd: BSS Transit Response: ifname=eth6, event=156, token=91, status=0, mac=7c:...:8c
Nov 14 07:14:06 bsd: bsd: BSS Transit Response: not for token 92

I don't want to turn whole smartconnect off but only stop it from spamming the logs...

Last edited:
Some sites block IP addresses coming from known VPN providers, due to past abuses.
Thanks, but funny it has only started happening since Beta 1 and they same is not blocked if I go via the same ip usiing the vpn app on the phone and through WAN on the router?

Well, not sure how much is it considered as a bug, but worth mention it.
Beta2, Ax88U

The WiFi 5Ghz is having hard time to start broadcast.
It takes 2-3 min, used to happen when Ch control was set to auto.
Now it fixed to a certain channel and still takes 2-3 min.

On Beta1 everything was just fine.
Any known changes to AX88U between 2 Beta?

Not sure why.
I have a similar problem on a RT-AX58U, just in order to investigate, in the wireless configuration, I disabled the options checkbox Enable 160Mhz on Channel Bandwidht section and Auto select channel including DFS channels on Control Channel Sections and it seems to enable 5G in just a few seconds. I will try to do some additional test about it. I can't inform you about Beta 1, my first test was on Beta 2.

Code:
ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AX86U 388.1_beta2 Fri Nov 11 21:33:13 UTC 2022
XXXXX@RT-AX86U-B1E8:/tmp/home/root# df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
ubi:rootfs_ubifs         77.7M     67.7M     10.1M  87% /
devtmpfs                455.9M         0    455.9M   0% /dev
tmpfs                   456.0M    484.0K    455.6M   0% /var
tmpfs                   456.0M      4.2M    451.8M   1% /tmp/mnt
ubi1:data                 4.5M     72.0K      4.1M   2% /data
tmpfs                   456.0M      4.2M    451.8M   1% /tmp/mnt
tmpfs                   456.0M      4.2M    451.8M   1% /tmp
/dev/mtdblock9           47.0M      5.8M     41.2M  12% /jffs
/dev/sda1                14.0G      2.1G     11.2G  16% /tmp/mnt/SD-Merlin
tmpfs                   456.0M      4.2M    451.8M   1% /www/index_style.css
tmpfs                   456.0M      4.2M    451.8M   1% /www/require/modules/menuTree.js

Dirty upgrade from 386.7_2 for both GT-AX6000 and RT-AX86S to 388.1 beta 2. All seems working so far; the only minor bug is related to Aimesh, not showing the connection between nodes, but still it works

No issues here with HBO Max and Disney+ on IPv6. I have been running this configuration for over a year. My ISP is Comcast.

Same here. Running IPv6 as Tunnel 6rd and never had an issue with any streaming apps. And the only one I actively watch is HBO Max on Nvidia Shield.

Loaded the Beta 2 388.1 on my AX88U from 386.8 Release, everything went well except for my OpenVPN client which did not initially connect due to some server certficates, not sure why it happens but resetting to default and uploading the OVPN file again works fine and connected.

All Wireless devices connected without issues both IOT devices on 2.4ghz, mobile and laptop and no issues on 5Ghz devices as well.

Setup Wireguard from SurfShark for my Apple TV 4K and all good, as expected Flow Cache disabled due to compatibility with WG. My 1gbps went down to 420-460mbps down and upto 390mpbs up, which is fine.

Just wondering though as I have a personal WG server hosted elsewhere, is there an OpenVPN-event-like script stored on /jffs/scripts/ we can use to add some bash codes after WG Client is connected?

Status
Not open for further replies.