What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 Beta is available for select models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The scenario I was able to reproduce is if you disable QoS (after running either Cake or T.QoS), then FC gets re-enabled without realizing that WG still needs it to stay disabled.

I'm discussing a long-term solution with Asus, but in the mean time I have a solution that should at least take care of this specific scenario (still need to be tested). A long term solution would ensure that other potential scenarios I might have missed would also be handled properly.
Thank you. Why doesn't Cake disable HW Accel? I get that Flow Cache is disabled but I thought HW Accel was disabled as well. My AX88U insists on enabling HW Accel.

wooow it works great now, i test beta 2 on ax-11000, i was able to fix my issues with wireguard and lan shares, everything works fine now, i have 1gb internet speed and it works 100% with hw enabled and flow disabled, thanks for your work @RMerlin , waith for final release, and the rog version is very cool

Beta-2 working great after 24 hours on AX86U, including 2 OpenVPN servers, IPSec, DNSSec. Dirty upgrade from 386.7_2.

No issues here with HBO Max and Disney+ on IPv6. I have been running this configuration for over a year. My ISP is Comcast.
Same here. Running IPv6 as Tunnel 6rd and never had an issue with any streaming apps. And the only one I actively watch is HBO Max on Nvidia Shield.
I promise this is the last post about IPv6 and HBO max slowness on start.

If you google "hbo max slow start IPv6" you will see that there are plenty of reports of HOB max logging slow. It does not mean it is not working. It just takes about 40-50 seconds to start the app and show when IPv6 is enabled. I will try to start over with the basic settings and see if it could be DoT but I don't think so.

Thanks, but funny it has only started happening since Beta 1 and they same is not blocked if I go via the same ip usiing the vpn app on the phone and through WAN on the router?
Mobile app might be using a different VPN server.

is there an OpenVPN-event-like script stored on /jffs/scripts/ we can use to add some bash codes after WG Client is connected?
No, because WireGuard is not event-driven. There isn't even any report whenever a node stops responding to pings.
Why doesn't Cake disable HW Accel?
It does. You probably had disabled QoS afterward, which is what re-enabled it.

It does. You probably had disabled QoS afterward, which is what re-enabled it.
How do I keep it disabled? It re-enables every reboot. Will I have to reset to defaults to get rid of this problem? I'm manually disabling it by SSH at this point. Will the test you are working on have any affect on this?

Last edited:
I promise this is the last post about IPv6 and HBO max slowness on start.

If you google "hbo max slow start IPv6" you will see that there are plenty of reports of HOB max logging slow. It does not mean it is not working. It just takes about 40-50 seconds to start the app and show when IPv6 is enabled. I will try to start over with the basic settings and see if it could be DoT but I don't think so.
Your service is verizon 5GHz mobile home which is provided with an appropriate mobile router. You are now using an asus router behind the provided verizon mobile router, I'm pretty sure aside from using different DOT servers the double router creates your problem. I can not even suggest a solution as you have an unusual setup. Try to get help from your fellow verizon mobile home users from dslreports, somebody there can help you.

Your service is verizon 5GHz mobile home which is provided with an appropriate mobile router. You are now using an asus router behind the provided verizon mobile router, I'm pretty sure aside from using different DOT servers the double router creates your problem. I can not even suggest a solution as you have an unusual setup. Try to get help from your fellow verizon mobile home users from dslreports, somebody there can help you.
No. My verizon modem is set in bridge pass-through mode. My asus ax3000 wan has my public IP.
BTW. Other apps are working fine.

How do I keep it enabled? It re-enables every reboot. Will I have to reset to defaults to get rid of this problem? I'm manually disabling it by SSH at this point. Will the test you are working on have any affect on this?
I think RMerlin said he was working on a type of quick-fix, but he seemed to also suggest perhaps Asus may be working on a more robust & official solution...
But in the short term (if you're impatient & you've enable JFFS)...
Can't you just add a line inside one of the appropriate scripts within: /jffs/scripts
(Obviously choose one that you find appropriate)
& add...
fc disable
If disabling fc is actually what you intended

No. My verizon modem is set in bridge pass-through mode. My asus ax3000 wan has my public IP.
BTW. Other apps are working fine.
I have verizon FIOS and all streaming apps/clients works as it should., actually(maybe placebo) Netflix, youtube and HBO max streams much better using IPv6. Your service is served wirelessly through 5GHz that's why maybe it needs some tweaks.

This is my last post on this, we are getting off topic here, if you want post a new topic in a separate thread.

Last edited:
How do I keep it disabled? It re-enables every reboot. Will I have to reset to defaults to get rid of this problem? I'm manually disabling it by SSH at this point. Will the test you are working on have any affect on this?
As long you don`t keep enabling/disabling QoS, it will stay correctly configured following a reboot.

Beta 3 will check for WireGuard state before enabling/disabling Flow Cache.

Which memory cleaning script? Where do I find it? How do I install it? And why would you say it's important? Where does it help? Thank you for the response.
Created the script myself, contains just one command... Called it "ClearCache", very rarely reboot for the sake of RAM anymore.

#!/bin/bash
echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

Then editied crontab so it runs at 5 am (router time)

* 5 * * * /jffs/scripts/clearcache #Clearcache#

Whether it helps or not? It helps me, keeps my Router (AX88) in around 52% - 65% range without impacting anything else as far as I can tell. Plenty of posts in here on how to create scripts and get them to execute on a schedule, outside the scope of this 388 beta thread, just search for it.

As long you don`t keep enabling/disabling QoS, it will stay correctly configured following a reboot.

Beta 3 will check for WireGuard state before enabling/disabling Flow Cache.
I only disabled QOS once. About a day or two ago, after my reset to defaults and manual configuration. In my case, HW Accel stays enabled no matter what. I haven't played with any settings that would affect this state since we started to figure out what was going on. My current solution is to run this command in SSH after a reboot.
Code:
RT-AX88U-E770:/tmp/home/root# fc config --hw-accel 0
, or it stays enabled no matter what.

Created the script myself, contains just one command... Called it "ClearCache", very rarely reboot for the sake of RAM anymore.

#!/bin/bash
echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

Then editied crontab so it runs at 5 am (router time)

* 5 * * * /jffs/scripts/clearcache #Clearcache#

Whether it helps or not? It helps me, keeps my Router (AX88) in around 52% - 65% range without impacting anything else as far as I can tell. Plenty of posts in here on how to create scripts and get them to execute on a schedule, outside the scope of this 388 beta thread, just search for it.
Aside from being completely pointless and potentially slowing down your router your crontab entry is wrong. The way you have set the time means that it will run every minute between 05:00 and 05:59. But this has nothing to do with this beta test release.

No, because WireGuard is not event-driven. There isn't even any report whenever a node stops responding to pings.
But wouldnt there still be a point of having some post/pre up/down hooks when the interface are/about to be up? Or do the implementation support them in the config file just as wg-quick?

If someone want to enable, say ipset based routing or setup their own routing to identify (by some means) proper connection before routing clients this way, it would have to poll for the interface during boot? And maybe even continue to poll for it if the user turns it off, to remove the routing rules?

But wouldnt there still be a point of having some post/pre up/down hooks when the interface are/about to be up? Or do the implementation support them in the config file just as wg-quick?
There are currently postconf/custom scripts available for when generating a config file to allow modifying these, or running another script when generating the configuration, such as creating a cron job.

I can add a script to run on start and stop, but these wouldn't be able to do anything regarding a tunnel that went down due to an issue. And constantly polling is too hackish to be implemented built-in, if someone wants to go down that route then they would have to create their own cron job specific to their use case.

I added wgserver-start, wgserver-stop, wgclient-start and wgclient-stop (with the unit number passed as argument).

This is in addition to the already existing postconf/custom config files.

Custom config:
wgclient<UNIT>
wgserver<UNIT>
wgserver_peer (for generated client config file)

Postconf:
wgclient<UNIT>.postconf
wgserver<UNIT>.postconf
wgserver_peer.postconf (for generated client config file)

I wonder if you can set a timer on blocking on devices for family of the time the blocking works like that but my sister's son is good at bypassing but would be a good option to put an extra blocking on under devices where you can block manually but would It would be great if there was an extra one so you don't have to press the lock icon

I otherwise appreciate the dns filtering that you then have on default, which removes adult material that you otherwise try with a different dns or vpn, so yes, I'm quite satisfied that it helps at least a little

Status
Not open for further replies.