What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 Beta is available for select models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have GT-AX11000 working on AP mode ONLY using the normal radio wireless that all bands are turned ON in Wireless - Professional tab and wps, smart connect are OFF, I am not using even AiMesh. I don't have problems that when i use the wireless and i will not complain, but i see error and other thing i want to report it for you RMerlin. Maybe it will interest you.

When i connect a device straight after that i see this in system log appear right away

View attachment 45607

The rest of the system log 1

View attachment 45609
The continuing....

After that this will appear

View attachment 45614

The rest of system log 3

View attachment 45615

Upgraded to b3 and do factory reset with all setting box ticked, everything good and smooth, but the error still there and spamming like i mentioned above. Just want you to know @RMerlin thank you.

Upgraded to b3 and do factory reset with all setting box ticked, everything good and smooth, but the error still there and spamming like i mentioned above. Just want you to know @RMerlin thank you.
I'm pretty sure this is just debug info and nothing to worry about. I have seen these messages ever since 386 and maybe even before that. Plenty of people have mentioned it in this forum already if you search for it.

I'm having a strange issue with OpenVPN Client settings.

I'm using a SurfShark UDP Profile and have my OpenVPN Server clients going through it using Director. I have set director to 10.8.0.0/24.

When I connect over 4G via the OpenVPN android app I can access my AX88U every time but sometimes the internet connection is not working. If I go to OpenVPN Client and just click Apply I can access the internet again.

Clearly there is an Internet connection as I can get to the router but I don't understand why it doesn't let me browse the the internet and clicking Apply on the OpenVPN Client screen fixes it for a time.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221122-083618.png
    Screenshot_20221122-083618.png
    82.8 KB · Views: 86
  • Screenshot_20221122-083547.png
    Screenshot_20221122-083547.png
    120.2 KB · Views: 92
  • Screenshot_20221122-083820.png
    Screenshot_20221122-083820.png
    151.9 KB · Views: 94
Most likely never. Fullcone support in kernel 4.1 was developed by Broadcom, and their patch is no longer part of the 4.19 kernel SDK due to changes to the Netfilter implementation that aren't compatible. So unless Broadcom decide to write a new patch for 4.19, it's not coming back.
Weird asus can't implement their own support for this, but Broadcom has alot invested in these routers.

Since upgrading to 388.1 Beta 3 my logs have been constantly spitting this out.

1669115890461.png

The MAC address on the Skip log is a Google Speaker which is functioning as expected. Any Ideas?

Check the log granularity level, it may be set too granular e.g. "debug" or "notice". It should stop if you change to "error".

I just applied error on both settings and it's still there. It's only that one device. I have about 12 google speakers around the house and it seems like this one is the only one appearing in the logs with this message
1669117732179.png

Hi everyone, do any of you observe an increase in RAM usage to such a point when the router starts behaving erratically? I'm using a tuf-ax5400 (not merlin supported) in 388 stock and I've observed that after about 12 days of uptime the router started spewing this error:
Nov 20 00:13:48 dnsmasq-dhcp[6201]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)
Nov 20 00:14:48 dnsmasq-dhcp[6201]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)
Nov 20 00:15:48 dnsmasq-dhcp[6201]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)
Nov 20 00:16:00 dnsmasq-dhcp[6201]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)
Nov 20 00:17:00 dnsmasq-dhcp[6201]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)
Nov 20 00:18:00 dnsmasq-dhcp[6201]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)
Nov 20 00:19:00 dnsmasq-dhcp[6201]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)
Nov 20 00:20:00 dnsmasq-dhcp[6201]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)
Nov 20 00:21:00 dnsmasq-dhcp[6201]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)
Nov 20 00:22:00 dnsmasq-dhcp[6201]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)
Nov 20 00:23:00 dnsmasq-dhcp[6201]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)
Nov 20 00:24:00 dnsmasq-dhcp[6201]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)
Nov 20 00:25:00 dnsmasq-dhcp[6201]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)
and free RAM was about 40MB. I started observing streaming apps having issues and decided to reboot the router. Since then no issues, but RAM does seem to start to get filled. Just wanted to be sure if this is something specific to stock, to the router or firmware version. As you can see in this thread https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...e-version-3-0-0-4-388-21224-2022-10-21.81427/ I'm not the only one observing this behaviour and If I'm not mistaken the XT8 also had this kind of issues.

edit: xt8 seems to have a new firmware released yesterday (https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...e-version-3-0-0-4-388-21617-2022-11-21.81888/) which explicitly states "1. Optimized memory usage and improved system stability." So maybe an issue that has been solved...

Main 58U & nodes on Beta 3 all working good :)

Beta 3 loaded on my APs. So far, so good. No issues from the upgrade from Beta 2. Devices all reconnected etc....

Weird asus can't implement their own support for this, but Broadcom has alot invested in these routers.
The kernel is part of the SDK provided by Broadcom. And these kind of low-level changes to the kernel require a particular expertise.

Since upgrading to 388.1 Beta 3 my logs have been constantly spitting this out.
BSD is Broadcom's Band Steering Daemon. Outside of my control.

Loaded on my primary AX86 and AiMesh AX86 with no issue, coming from 386.7_2. Only item worth noting is the AiMesh reporting not connected, even though functioning, using the 2.5Gbps wired connection.

Beta 3 is now available. In addition to a few bug fixes, this beta also makes the switch to EC certificates for the self-signed certificates generated by the router. EC certificates are less resource-intensive (meaning faster https access on slower CPUs), but they require a browser from the last decade (so, no more WinXP or IE 6 support if you still want to use HTTPS).
About 12 hours of no-issue runtime using 388.1 Beta3 after a dirty upgrade from Beta2 on an RT-AX3000 (RT-AX58U firmware).

Last edited:
@RMerlin thanks for the update! I upgraded for Wireguard. OpenVPN was only getting 20Mbps. With Wireguard I think I'm not CPU bound -- getting 200Mbps on AX68U. Getting the Nord config was bit of a pain. Now I've finally been able to switch all traffic over to the VPN without reservation. Thanks again!

Related note: people might want to check out Tmobile Home Internet. $50/m and I get a reliable 150-400Mbps down 30ish up. See ya Comcast. I'm semi rural and I put up an antenna.

@RMerlin thanks for the update! I upgraded for Wireguard. OpenVPN was only getting 20Mbps. With Wireguard I think I'm not CPU bound -- getting 200Mbps on AX68U. Getting the Nord config was bit of a pain. Now I've finally been able to switch all traffic over to the VPN without reservation. Thanks again!

Related note: people might want to check out Tmobile Home Internet. $50/m and I get a reliable 150-400Mbps down 30ish up. See ya Comcast. I'm semi rural and I put up an antenna.
Hi kmschwem, I just want to know how to use Wireguard to run for NordVPN, how to config it ?
Thanks !

After a stable run of 10 days on beta2 without restart, I did a dirty update to beta3. All seems to be running fine.

Dirty upgrade from Beta2 to Beta3.
Ax88U*2 and AX56U as AiMesh system, and AX56U as a router.
Both systems run just fine after a reboot, for 5 hours.
Reboot done after 10-15 min in which the system was not as usual.

Looking good now.

Status
Not open for further replies.