What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 Beta is available for select models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dirty upgrade beta3 to beta4. Everything looking fine - Bandwidth Monitor is even back (it stopped reporting for beta3) though what it reports is questionable (apparently, I am getting 100Mbps on a capped 80Mbps link), but as I understand it that is an Asus issue.

Configuration: RT-AX86u <---backhaul 2.5GB--> RT-AX86u

I have problems with the stability of the connection to the 5GHz band - especially frequent disconnections or WiFi slowdown without internet connection - applies to the phone, S22Ultra!
This issue occurs with firmware from 386.7....388.1 beta3. Firmware installation with hard reset. The best firmware for me is 386.5.2 - no problems (super stable 5GHz + 160MHz bandwidth!), full WiFi speed, fast and stable!

I have now installed beta4 and waiting for the results. What I see now (beta 4) no backhaul connection even though it works with the description of excellent quality!

I'm worried they'll have to stay with the older version 386.5.2 without the latest security updates!
For the "I have now installed beta4 and waiting for the results. What I see now (beta 4) no backhaul connection even though it works with the description of excellent quality!" try using the stock firmware on the mesh node, there's quite a few posts on the subject... Update on results and if any improvement on the stability...

Configuration: RT-AX86u <---backhaul 2.5GB--> RT-AX86u

I have problems with the stability of the connection to the 5GHz band - especially frequent disconnections or WiFi slowdown without internet connection - applies to the phone, S22Ultra!
This issue occurs with firmware from 386.7....388.1 beta3. Firmware installation with hard reset. The best firmware for me is 386.5.2 - no problems (super stable 5GHz + 160MHz bandwidth!), full WiFi speed, fast and stable!

I have now installed beta4 and waiting for the results. What I see now (beta 4) no backhaul connection even though it works with the description of excellent quality!

I'm worried they'll have to stay with the older version 386.5.2 without the latest security updates!
On your S22 Ultra's WiFi setting for that SSID, have you tried switching from Randomized MAC to Phone MAC?

Once you click the gear icon to the right of your 5GHz Wireless network, click on 'View more' for that setting (Android 13).

Last edited:
On your S22 Ultra's WiFi setting for that SSID, have you tried switching from Randomized MAC to Phone MAC?

Once you click the gear icon to the right of your 5GHz Wireless network, click on 'View more' for that setting (Android 13).
I've got these tablets I use to monitor my Nest camera's even with that switching to the fixed MAC I was still having problems with feeds dropping randomly I couldn't put my finger on. The WIFI on the tablets would just shut off (icon off as if there was no WIFI and WIFI wouldn't restart either) requiring a reboot to turn it back on (easier for the wife and nurse to deal with than tablet acrobatics to get it restarted). As of yesterday & last night, between moving to latest ASUS firmware for the mesh nodes (AX86's) and moving to 388.1 B4, on the router (AX88), they've yet to disconnect or drop randomly, and the WIFI (icon solid) on the tablets have stayed on. Every second that the tablets don't drop, is a triumph at this point. Normally if I got a few hours out of them I was lucky (each one dropping randomly). Performance has also improved with video feed stability and clarity. Camera (5Ghz) pinned to one mesh node, tablets (2.4Ghz) pinned to router.

Dirty upgrade from b3 with no issues, and DNS Director gui working. I didn't know anything had changed, except I always read the change log, before flashing router.

Upgraded B3 to B4 on AX88U and AX56U and no issues are seen AFAIK.

If im not wrong, system running a bit stabler in Beta4 more than Beta3.

Running for 15 mins now
Thank you!

Last edited:
Upgraded B3 to B4 on AX88U and AX56U and no issues are seen AFAIK.

If im not wrong, system running a bit stabler in Beta4 more than Beta3.

Running for 15 mins now
Thank you!
If the previous Beta versions all gave you issues within 15mins or less... I can see why your chosen username is Damit1, LOL

If the previous Beta versions all gave you issues within 15mins or less... I can see why your chosen username is Damit1, LOL
;)
Lol, thats kind of a thing here, a tradition, to report these reports

Thanks for your suggestion, I'll check out this setting on my S22Ultra (Android 13) - maybe it's a potential problem generator. But in my WiFi network iPhone 13 and S21Ultra (Android 13) work fine with the "random MAC" option turned on - no problems!

Thanks for your suggestion, I'll check out this setting on my S22Ultra (Android 13) - maybe it's a potential problem generator. But in my WiFi network iPhone 13 and S21Ultra (Android 13) work fine with the "random MAC" option turned on - no problems!
I'm curious... since a lot of your previous troubles pertains to Tablets & Phone... have you tried turning off Power Save found under Wireless => Professional ?
Enable WMM APSD = Disable
Meaning perhaps you are experiencing the issues when the devices enter sleep mode & try to wake back-up?

I've got this too. On my Virgin Media (Cable TV) IPTV Stream box. Greenfield area with no other access points for any interference on AX86U.
Was fine on previous firmware so something has changed and no software update from Cable company either. I even switched back the firmware and it was fine. Even reset the cable company's box even though it's only a few months old.

Everything else seems OK and doesn't exhibit this issue or they cope with it better than the cable company's box. Basically, the problem is Wifi suddenly goes slow by looks of it, then recovers. No ramdomised MACS here as use MAC filter. Channel 40 5ghz. No G devices. Beacon Size 200 but tried lower but there was no change on beta firmware.

For me, Adaptive QOS (provable easily as previous version firmware speed returns immediately) and Wifi 5ghz isn't working for me whereas most releases are fine, with occasional trouble on an alpha or early beta but then is OK by final release....

I do get what Merlin says about eh can't look at every WiFi issue because so many times it is the user environment, but truly stumped here what the cause is.

I've got this too. On my Virgin Media (Cable TV) IPTV Stream box. Greenfield area with no other access points for any interference on AX86U.
Was fine on previous firmware so something has changed and no software update from Cable company either. I even switched back the firmware and it was fine. Even reset the cable company's box even though it's only a few months old.

Everything else seems OK and doesn't exhibit this issue or they cope with it better than the cable company's box. Basically, the problem is Wifi suddenly goes slow by looks of it, then recovers. No ramdomised MACS here as use MAC filter. Channel 40 5ghz. No G devices. Beacon Size 200 but tried lower but there was no change on beta firmware.

For me, Adaptive QOS (provable easily as previous version firmware speed returns immediately) and Wifi 5ghz isn't working for me whereas most releases are fine, with occasional trouble on an alpha or early beta but then is OK by final release....

I do get what Merlin says about eh can't look at every WiFi issue because so many times it is the user environment, but truly stumped here what the cause is.
What's the WiFi performance on 5G with stock Asus firmware?

After 15m running in B4, after dirty upgrade done a whole system reboot.
AX88U*2 AiMesh and Ax58U system works for 4h stable right now.
AX58U 4h after a reboot as well.

The wireless AiMesh backhaul link now is the biggest I have seen so far in this system, 2G/2G.

Hope it would keep running that way!

Thank you @RMerlin

Up 17.5 uneventful hours or so on Beta4 after dirty upgrade from Beta3 on an RT-AX3000 (RT-AX58U firmware) with a relatively simple setup.

From your suggestions (v. 388.1 Beta4):

1st step: I turned off the "random MAC", restart the AX86 system --> S22 Ultra connected for a while and then the connection to WiFi was broken. Connection slowdown Tx 68Mbps / Rx 6Mbps, no internet connection.

2nd step: I turned off power saving (WMM APST = Disable), restarted the AX86 --> S22 Ultra connected for a while and then the connection to WiFi was broken. Connection slowdown Tx 68Mbps / Rx 6Mbps, no internet connection.

And one more thing, before 388.1Beta4 I had firmware, stock 388.21709 - and the same problems connecting the S22 Ultra to WiFi.

Now I'm back to 386.5.2, no hard reset - S22 Ultra connects without problems at full speed, Tx/Rx = 2401.9Mbps (5GHz/160MHz). Fast connection and very stable!

In my case "S22 Ultra", connection problems started with firmware version 386.7--->388.1 Beta4.

Filthy upgrade to Beta 4 from Beta 3 on all APs. Initial upgrade smooth - no issues to report. Will monitor and give it the usual reboots later and then let it settle.

Been a while since we've seen a Beta 4 in a program.

Thanks again @RMerlin and team!

Been a while since a major version release (i.e., 386 to 388). Asus still working out the kinks with @RMerlin assisting...

Simple answer: no. Asus' release is build 388_21709. Merlin beta 4 is based on GPL 388_21224, which has not changed through the alpha/beta releases

The last-minute IPv6 firewall issue made it necessary, as otherwise I was ready to release 388.1 final this weekend. I needed to ensure it didn't cause any new issue, hence the extended beta cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!