What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 388.2 Beta is now available for Wifi 6 models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Asuswrt-Merlin 388.2 beta is now available for all Wifi 6 models, except for the XT12 (GPL not available yet for this model due to issues Asus are working on).

April 3rd: Beta 2 is now available.
Code:
639ff8e903 (HEAD -> master) Reformated recent changelog entries
2fb708f4c1 (origin/master) Updated documentation
7320eba6c1 curl: updated to 8.0.1
f92baff728 webui: replace method of renewing cert on DDNS page with Asus' new method used on the System page
ae1ce59754 rc: only refresh DDNS on bound6()/deconfig6() events if IPv6 DDNS updates are enabled
413799a1aa openvpn: updated to 2.6.2
1253272632 webui: 5 GHz-2 Wireless Settings couldn't be saved on some models (issue introduced with 22525)
ed51604f41 Add missing 386.9 and 386.10 changelogs
567a64f84c aaews: move to model-specific
82cb84e911 Bumped revision to beta 2

The focus of this release is the merge with a new GPL, and the addition of the RT-AX88U Pro.

Note that there is a chance that 388.2 may possibly be the last release for the RT-AX56U, as Asus opted not to move this model to the 388 codebase, meaning that they cannot guarantee that future 388 GPLs for this model will be possible.

If I drop the RT-AX56U in the future, I will probably drop support for the RT-AX58U at the same time, due to the constant confusion from users between the supported V1 model and the unsupported V2 model. Since V1 hasn`t been sold in quite a while now and it never was a very popular model, it makes limited sense to still be supporting that V1 model for the long run.

Therefore, future support for these two models will depend on how long Asus will be able to provide me with working GPLs for the RT-AX56U.

Changes in 388.2:

Code:
  - NEW: Added support for the RT-AX88U Pro.
  - NEW: Merged with GPL 388_22525.
  - NEW: Added Site Survey page under Network Tools tab.
         This is the same network scan that is available
         for pre-HND models, with Wifi 6E support added.
  - UPDATED: dnsmasq to 2.89.
  - UPDATED: openvpn to 2.6.1.  If your client fails to
             connect then your custom settings must
             contain settings no longer supported by
             OpenVPN 2.6.  Review the System Log,
             then remove unsupported settings that are
             reported in your log.
  - UPDATED: nettle to 3.8.1.
  - UPDATED: inadyn to 2.10.0.
  - UPDATED: dropbear to 2022.83.
  - UPDATED: miniupnpd to 2.3.3.
  - UPDATED: openssl to 1.1.1t.
  - CHANGED: moved WiFi Radar to the Network Tools tab.
  - CHANGED: Disabled auto logout on System Log and
             Wireless Log pages.
  - CHANGED: Reduced EDNS packet size from 1280 to 1232
             bytes in dnsmasq, to better work with some
             upstream servers not fully supporting EDNS0.
  - CHANGED: Allow empty fields on WireGuard Client page
             if the client is disabled.  This allow users
             to manually clear settings when they are
             no longer using a client.
  - FIXED: NTP redirection wouldn't work properly with
           Guest Network, removed fredirection for these.
  - FIXED: Added missing Tools icon on ROG UI (icon
           contributed by Cody).

Please keep the feedback on this specific beta release.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

Last edited:
Known issues:
  • Cannot save settings on DDNS page (Javascript error, will be fixed in next build)

Last edited:
After all the positive comments on 388_22525 WiFi stability and performance I almost started my process to move to the 388.2 Alpha for my AX88 (router) and AX86's (mesh nodes). Check back in a few hours later and here you drop the Beta, now just got to go through change control (Family) to find a window to update, reset, rebuild mesh and reconfigure from scratch. Awesome news!!

to find a window to update, reset, rebuild mesh and reconfigure from scratch.
If you were running 388.2 alpha already, then there is no real reason to reset your routers for the beta. Removing and readding nodes might perhaps be a good idea tho, just in case the AiMesh wireless node discovery fix might have an impact on the final performance.

If you were running 388.2 alpha already, then there is no real reason to reset your routers for the beta. Removing and readding nodes might perhaps be a good idea tho, just in case the AiMesh wireless node discovery fix might have an impact on the final performance.
Oh let me clear that up, never was on the alpha, but was considering it this morning until this announcement.

Was on 388.1 without a reset then reverted back to 386.8 for the router and 386.7_2 on the nodes without a reset. So to avoid reporting anything that may be as a result of that. Best to start on a clean slate to give this release a fair shake.

Rare that I need to or would do a reset for an update but bouncing back and forth between code families and releases (with a mix of 388/386 variables in nvram) just makes good sense to start from a known/clean slate.

Performed without any issues, so far, a dirty upgrade on my GT-AX6000 from 388.2_alpha2-g099892a1.

Thanks RMerlin...

Does this release stream include the WireGuard, flow-cache workaround for the RT-AX88U or is it likely to included in a future version (388.3 or later)?

RT-AX88U, dirty flash over 388.2_alpha2-g099892a1. Sweet as a nut.
Uptime counter restarted.

Last edited:
RT-AX86U Pro - dirty install over stock 3.0.0.4.388.22250. No issues.

Thank you RMerlin.

Does this release stream include the WireGuard, flow-cache workaround for the RT-AX88U
No, as Broadcom hasn't implemented it for the RT-AX88U or GT-AX11000 (both use a slightly older SDK than the other models).

I would have to do an experiment with a backport, but didn't have the time to do it, and I didn't want to delay this release any further. Testing requires a fair bit of work since I would first need to setup a WireGuard server on a VPS to be able to test it.

AX86U here, so the focus is on improving WiFi Performance and Stability.

And it's recommended to factory reset the router? Is that really necessary? I've seen people here & alpha thread mention router should be reset after the update?

Last edited:
I'm on alpha2 already. Is there a reasonable change to this beta? AX86S
The only thing I noticed so far is the fix to the AiMesh page load time, the Alpha 2 having already seemed pretty solid.

Just curious.... I don't recall the router's self-signed certificate containing so many SANs? Get the same SANs even after generating a new certificate...
1679349750642.png

(GT-AX6000 updated from stock 22525 to 388.2 beta1 with factory reset)

Some one know if with this work again the vpn with out crash the pppoe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!