What's new

Solved At Wits End. OpenVPN Certificate Connection issue with Asus Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Radiation

New Around Here
I've read numerous threads and watched hours of tutorials on how to setup OpenVPN on my Asus router and use the client to connect. We've even brought in a 'Professional IT guy' who googled the same stuff I did in trying ti figure this out.
This is what the client is reporting. What am I missing?

Mon Aug 28 20:35:46 2023 SIGUSR1[soft,tls-error] received, process restarting
Mon Aug 28 20:36:02 2023 TCP/UDP: Preserving recently used remote address: [AF_INET]xxx.xxx.201.247:1194
Mon Aug 28 20:36:02 2023 UDPv4 link local: (not bound)
Mon Aug 28 20:36:02 2023 UDPv4 link remote: [AF_INET]xxx.xxx.201.247:1194
Mon Aug 28 20:36:03 2023 VERIFY ERROR: depth=1, error=self-signed certificate in certificate chain: C=TW, ST=TW, L=Taipei, O=ASUS, CN=RT-AX58U, emailAddress=me@myhost.mydomain, serial=727920763291949605502605446480025514001905266043
Mon Aug 28 20:36:03 2023 OpenSSL: error:0A000086:SSL routines::certificate verify failed:
Mon Aug 28 20:36:03 2023 TLS_ERROR: BIO read tls_read_plaintext error
Mon Aug 28 20:36:03 2023 TLS Error: TLS object -> incoming plaintext read error
Mon Aug 28 20:36:03 2023 TLS Error: TLS handshake failed
Mon Aug 28 20:36:03 2023 SIGUSR1[soft,tls-error] received, process restarting

I've discussed this over on the OpenVPN Support forum and they replied with:
"It is complaining that there is a self-signed certificate in the chain. This means that it cannot establish a path of trust to a CA it can trust. Perhaps that is because the CA is not provided so it does not have any it can trust. Or perhaps it is because the certificate was not signed by the CA it was provided. This seems to be a certificate issue.

Since this is an Asus router, this falls in community support, and specifically this would be up to Asus to support as it is their implementation of OpenVPN in their routers. They should be able to provide the correct steps to get it working properly."

So I thought I would ask here first.

Thanks

Which Router and FW would be significantly helpful.
I have no idea what is happening at your end, BUT I googled "asus router vpn setup", and used the following tutorial:
Asus Router VPN Setup

As a noob to vpn on the router, I found that guide Griswald Easy!

Which Router and FW would be significantly helpful.
I have no idea what is happening at your end, BUT I googled "asus router vpn setup", and used the following tutorial:
Asus Router VPN Setup

As a noob to vpn on the router, I found that guide Griswald Easy!
Thanks for the reply. That is the same tutorial I used at the start. its a little different as it's an older firmware but I managed. Im using the Asus RT-AX58U with latest FW 3.0.0.4.388_23556

Closing this topic as I found the solution. Apparently when you sometimes email the OVPN config file (which contains the cert keys) it can become corrupted or un-readable when imported.
I found numerous accounts of this same issue. Once I transferred the file from the remote pc to my phone and then installed from there installed of emailing it, everything worked. Leaving this here in case anyone has this issue.

You have done well!
Get your money back from the "IT Professional".

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!