What's new

AX-58U Auto Wan Reconnect - Impossible?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RickySnoots

Occasional Visitor
Hi Team, I've been searching for along time for an easy solution to a simple problem I've seen crop up for many people, but for whatever the reasons ever easily addressed in the many versions of Merlin - and that is Asus Router WAN reconnect.

Like most, my cable service is shoddy, and typically can quickly lose and regain sync, where the modem is disconnected for less than a minute but then quickly re-syncs and reconnects - trouble is, the Asus doesn't catch up and remains in a disconnected state until I have to either manually restart it, or turn WAN off and on in the control panel. To make it worse, I have others who rely on the service and can't manually switch the router off/on if I am away.

I'd scrap it entirely and pay for other solutions, but I've put too much into ASUS and their MESH, with 3 of them scattered. In simplistic terms, I would have expected an easy button fix in Merlin's firmware, such as a check box entitled 'crappy WAN service reconnect', where the router sniffs out problems and reconnects automatically - this, to the best of my knowledge has never been done, probably with good reason, but keeps me searching.

Any suggestions from the experts here??

De ja vu Colin! I appreciate it. I can't follow this script stuff, I can copy and paste a script in, the link is difficult to follow, I'll admit. Same issue, same guy, nobody's seemed to acknoledge this is an issue with these routers! It's a little beyond me it has to be complex, although maybe I am over simplifying.

De ja vu Colin! I appreciate it. I can't follow this script stuff, I can copy and paste a script in, the link is difficult to follow, I'll admit. Same issue, same guy, nobody's seemed to acknoledge this is an issue with these routers! It's a little beyond me it has to be complex, although maybe I am over simplifying.
Well I don't know what to say then. There's no option in the GUI that will help you so you'd need use a script. The wiki for script suggested contains step by step instructions.

Thanks Colin, I will have a closer look, and again appreciated.

If Mr. Merlin himself is reading these forums, hint hint - wow, further to all of the awesome enhancements, an improvement like this would have a significant impact to the experience and domestic relationships of many I'm sure..

I think the second linked script above (which I wrote) is likely to solve your issue in an elegant manner. Asus really need to just implement an equivalent in their own firmware since the wan lease release/renew behaviour seems broken. This only manifests for flaky connections/modems on which wan goes down (NO-CARRIER) and back up. I think the script is pretty easy to set up with the instructions I provided in the readme. Let me know here if any issues and I will try to help.

Their 'wanduck.c' code seems like it could do with scrapping.

Absolutely, totally agree on wanduck 2.0 for them.

I greatly appreciate your inputs, offers and help!

Lynx, taking lines 1-28, where would I put this? :) Exposing maybe the level I'm approaching this at..

@RickySnoots did you see readme here:
Let me know if I can help at all. This is for sure worth trying to see if it fixes your issue. I think there is a good prospect it will.

Step by step would be something like enable scripts in the GUI. Then SSH into router. Then 'cd /jffs/scripts/' and then 'wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/lynxthecat/maintain-wan-lease/main/maintain-wan-lease' and then 'chmod +x ./maintain-wan-lease' and then 'vi services-start' then press 'i' to start inserting text then paste in:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

/jffs/scripts/maintain-wan-lease &

by right clicking mouse. Then press the escape key and then start typing ':wq' and then hit return. Then 'chmod +x ./services-start'.

Reboot and then try literally unplugging the wan cable to modem and plugging back in and you should see entries in the logger from the script. If not, something went wrong with the steps above. If it works this should fix the issue when the modem drops eth0 and brings it back up.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!