What's new

Security Upgrade option on RT-AX88U Pro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BMax98

New Around Here
Hi,

Sorry if this has already been answered but I haven't been able to find an answer to my question so far. I've just replaced my AC86U with a new RT-AX88U Pro and in the firmware settings, there's this option called "Security Upgrade" and it's not very clear what it does, even after reading the description:
asus.jpg

Should I leave this on? What exactly does it do?
Thank you for your time!

That's new. From the description I'd guess it's referring to a new version of Asus' security daemon (asd), which previously was not configurable. So it does what the description says it does, protects your router from malware. I'd leave it enabled unless you have a good reason not to.

I've just replaced my AC86U with a new RT-AX88U Pro and in the firmware settings, there's this option called "Security Upgrade" and it's not very clear what it does, even after reading the description:
What specific firmware version are running on the RT-AX88U?

Further thoughts.

It would have to save the updated file(s) to /jffs and mount them over the firmware's squashed version(s), so it would be simpler to undo even than by (needlessly) reflashing the chip.

It sounds like ASUS released 3.0.0.6 firmware too early.

OE

It sounds like ASUS is now forcing some updates on the user regardless of settings

They are doing it for quite some time and it's even in official Asus FAQ now.

"Note: When the new firmware version contains important improvement and fix bugs to make sure the router works stably, this version becomes the required firmware version for this model which the router will automatically upgrade to it."

I expect auto upgrade to become mandatory in near future for all consumer devices.

I expect auto upgrade to become mandatory in near future for all consumer devices.
The "tech weenies" in our governments are requiring auto upgrades. They really know more than we know.... aheam.... cough cough....

I don't mind if it increases the level of responsibility. Right now you pay a $1000 for a shiny new product and it comes with free 2-years beta tester membership. Want $1000 from consumers with no knowledge? Okay - take responsibility with damages insurance policy! Plenty of lawyers around to rip their a**es. Right now - Oh, sorry! It was open source components written by John in... not sure where he is, Иван somewhere in... not sure, and 남자... must be Korean, hopefully South. Waiting for them to fix it.

Plenty of lawyers around to rip their a**es. Right now - Oh, sorry! It was open source components written by John

@Tech9 - Let's take a deep breath - relax my friend, it's cool, and bigger problems in the world to solve...

@BMax98 - going back to your first post - you have the option to opt-in for security updates - you don't have to do this, but you should consider things there - if things are urgent enough that Asus wants to push out a refresh for devices...

I'd rather have an email update than a auto-update/reboot on my network - but that's me...

@Tech9 - Let's take a deep breath - relax my friend, it's cool, and bigger problems in the world to solve...

Agree on bigger problems.

Looks like Asus is transferring the responsibility to the user though. Last year they killed many routers with bad ASD auto update. Users had to factory reset and it wasn't helping in all cases. I had to ship to friends routers with FedEx and stay at night to recover units remotely. Asus did apologize to users for the inconvenience.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!