What's new

AX86U 5Ghz performance with Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz client

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SoCalReviews

Very Senior Member
I don't normally check my own Wifi performance results very often but I thought I would to get some feedback from other AX86U fourm users and compare to what others using Intel AX or other clients are getting.

The notebook client is two large rooms away from the AX86U router. There is a thick plaster wall in one of the rooms separating the router from the client. This is a location where my older AC68U would have inconsistent and intermittent coverage with the 5Ghz band and clients would more often revert to using 2.4Ghz when available. With my AX86U the 5Ghz Wifi connection is consistent and rock solid.

Windows 11 notebook Wifi client information:

Protocol: Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax)
Security type: WPA2-Personal
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Description: Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz
Driver version: 22.70.0.6
Network band: 5 GHz
Network channel: 48
Link speed (Receive/Transmit): 613/576 (Mbps)

The AX86U router network information is reporting a fluctuating Tx rate of 612-1008 Mbps and a stable Rx rate of 576 Mbps.

Other results: Same room as AX86U with client 20 feet away line of sight from router.

Client information Link speed (Receive/Transmit): 2402/2402 (Mbps)

Router information reporting Tx rate from 2401.2-2161.9 Mbps and Rx rate of 2161.8-1921.5 Mbps

I realize these types of results are posted all the time by forum users but I am curious what kind of Wifi 6/AX 5Ghz performance other users are currently experiencing.

Current stock AX86U firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_45934.

Last edited:
I force the use of 160Mhz and 802.11ax in order to get the max throughput
I have read that many forum users force 160Mhz with good results. I have my AX86U 5Ghz settings using mostly default except use WPA2 instead of WPA2/3. The current 5Ghz performance surpasses the speed of my internet many times.

I don't need high speed access to other clients on my LAN so range and consistency is more important to me. If you need maximum 5Ghz performance for accessing other clients, only use your client in proximity to the router or you are using 1Gbps or greater internet service then those max settings make sense.

Last edited:
Here is my current:
Router: AX86u, merlin. Haven't forced anything, all clients are free to connect to whatever they want, even 2.4 and 5ghz. Never seen any reason to do so. My clients connect to 160mhz by themselves as soon as DFS is cleared. Using the wpa2/3 option. (Ok I block my nest audio and my soundbar from connecting to 5ghz as they don't need the speed. Via "Wireless MAC Filter" 5ghz reject.)

1. Desktop with intel ax200 pcie (took sc on) (160mhz)
2. TV on AC connection (idle) (80mhz)
3. Laptop with intel-ax201 (160mhz)
4. Samsung s10 (idle) (80mhz)

1 and 2 are within 15-20 cm of each other (same desk). About 10 meters away from router, 3 drywalls between (closed doors). TV and samsung are 6/5 meters from router with just 1 drywall between.

1640316008783.png
1640316176006.png

Last edited:
I thought I would mention this... I recently did the free upgrade that was offered via Windows notifications with my one year old Intel i7 based notebook from Windows 10 to Windows 11. I am not sure about whether the Wifi performance has changed but so far I really like the new interface and everything seems to be running snappier and smoother for me.

I talked to a friend who is a programmer and is very technically savy who also is having a noticeably better experience with Windows 11 on multiple systems. Could this be the result of newer drivers or a more streamlined OS?.... I really don't know. This does not mean I am advocating that everyone upgrades or that this would be everyone's experience. It's just something I noticed right away after upgrading.

I have it locked to 160 mhz and it FLIES on my AX devices! I am running Gig, and connected on 2.5 ports from modem to the 2.5 port on router. Crazy speeds, even at distance.

Did you found any way of improving the 5ghz performance ?

I'm experiencing same issues but with a Macbook.
Close to the router, 3-4m I get maximum TX rate and high MCS index, once I move to 6-7m from the router, with 1 slim wall apart, it drops very low ... around 300 - 432 mbps

I'm running the latest merlin firmware, did a full reset of the router (as seen in the threads here) and did the settings according to best practices also found on this forum but nothing ... it's driving me crazy that such an expensive router, it's not working in an 1 bedroom apartment ... what's the point of wireless if I need to stay close to it ?

Also, I'm not able to select on the router any channels from 140+ .... even if I'm in Europe, where it's allowed ...

1641371253174.png

Last edited:
There are a few things to consider when going to 160Mhz wide channels. The first is if you can find that much bandwidth with either no other WiFi stations on it or at least ones that are lightly utilized. If you can't, stop as your throughput will be worse than a 80Mhz channel. The second is if you need to use DFS channels to do the above and then if weather radar or aircraft radar are used in your area. If the answer is they are used, then your router will be kicked off the channel, even if you hard configure it.

Having found the magical space, I see actual throughput in excess of 1.2 Gbs.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!