What's new

Rt-AX86u Pro 5Ghz download speed too low

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lastsoldier33

New Around Here
Hi all! New around here. I have just set up my rt-ax86u pro as a router to my modem. I can connect to both 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz on my phone (iphone 11) and on my desktop pc which has wifi 6 supported mobo. Both my phone and the desktop were next to the router when I did the tests. When I speedtest on my phone with 5 ghz, I get the expected speed 700mpbs out of 1000mpbs which is great for me. On the other hand, When I do the same test on my desktop pc, all I can get is 10 mbps download and 0 upload speed which is supposed to be 50 mbps. However, the internet speed on my desktop is all fine while surfing or watching videos on the internet.The results are great when I test the speed on asus router with merlin firmware. I couldn't find any answers for this problem. Can anyone help me with the issue, please? Thanks in advance.

merlin router speed test.jpg
speedtest result.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all! New around here. I have just set up my rt-ax86u pro as a router to my modem. I can connect to both 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz on my phone (iphone 11) and on my desktop pc which has wifi 6 supported mobo. Both my phone and the desktop were next to the router when I did the tests. When I speedtest on my phone with 5 ghz, I get the expected speed 700mpbs out of 1000mpbs which is great for me. On the other hand, When I do the same test on my desktop pc, all I can get is 10 mbps download and 0 upload speed which is supposed to be 50 mbps. However, the internet speed on my desktop is all fine while surfing or watching videos on the internet.The results are great when I test the speed on asus router with merlin firmware. I couldn't find any answers for this problem. Can anyone help me with the issue, please? Thanks in advance.

View attachment 52078 View attachment 52079

Sometimes you can be too close to the router, especially directly below it. Exactly what to you mean by "next to"? I would make sure you have the latest wireless drivers for the NIC as well.

Did you factory reset and configure after switching between Asus, Merlin and back to Asus firmware?

Sometimes you can be too close to the router, especially directly below it. Exactly what to you mean by "next to"? I would make sure you have the latest wireless drivers for the NIC as well.
The case and the router are literally next to each other on the table. :) I upgraded the drivers for the NIC and checked it is the latest one.

Did you factory reset and configure after switching between Asus, Merlin and back to Asus firmware?
After I setup Merlin fw, do I need to switch back to asus firmware again? I restored the router choosing factory default on router.asus.com. after setting up merlin fw. Sorry, I am really new at this, so if you can explain in detail, I will appreciate that. Thanks.

The case and the router are literally next to each other on the table. :) I upgraded the drivers for the NIC and checked it is the latest one.

Move the router or PC across the room and see if there is any difference. Look in the asus and see what wireless speeds it is reporting for the PC too.

Move the router or PC across the room and see if there is any difference. Look in the asus and see what wireless speeds it is reporting for the PC too.
I checked my laptop connection and internet speed with 5ghz in another corner of the room and the results are really satisfiying and just as I expected. But still no change for my desktop download speed.

When I do the same test on my desktop pc, all I can get is 10 mbps download and 0 upload speed which is supposed to be 50 mbps. However, the internet speed on my desktop is all fine while surfing or watching videos on the internet.
To help others isolate and possibly eliminate things, who is the manufacturer of the desktop's WiFi adapter? And what driver is installed? The issue your experiencing could be specific to that WiFi adapter and its hardware, driver or settings.

To help others isolate and possibly eliminate things, who is the manufacturer of the desktop's WiFi adapter? And what driver is installed? The issue your experiencing could be specific to that WiFi adapter and its hardware, driver or settingIt is
My mobo is msi b550 gaming edge wifi and it has Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz. I have just installed its latest version. According to the device manager, it works perfectly. When I use the wifi internet connection of the modem, I get the best speed as well on my desktop pc. However when I connect the router's 5ghz, the download and upload speed is terrible. I really cannot understand why.

In the router's GUI wireless 5 Ghz page, what are the settings (maybe post a screen shot to help others)?

What is Channel Bandwidth set to? Is "Enable 160 MHz" checked?
What is the Control Channel set to? Auto or something else? Is "Auto select channel including DFS channels" unchecked or checked?
As a troubleshooting step try setting the Control Channel to 161 (per this post it was indicated it fixed that persons disconnection issue) and reboot the router.

My mobo is msi b550 gaming edge wifi and it has Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz. I have just installed its latest version. According to the device manager, it works perfectly. When I use the wifi internet connection of the modem, I get the best speed as well on my desktop pc. However when I connect the router's 5ghz, the download and upload speed is terrible. I really cannot understand why.

There have been some complaints about irregularities with the intel AX cards.

First go into the router, system log, wireless log, and look to see what the desktop is connecting at, signal strength, channel width, etc. It could be that when it connects to your ISP router it is using 80Mhz and when it connects to the asus it is 160, and 160 can be problematic depending on your environment. You can try setting the router to 80 max and see if that makes any difference.

Some other things you can try on the router
Disable universal beamforming on both bands
Disable MU-MIMO on both bands
Disable any "throughput booster" type features

But I would try the 80mhz channel first as that seems to be the common issue, your laptop and phone probably do not support 160 but your desktop does.

In the router's GUI wireless 5 Ghz page, what are the settings (maybe post a screen shot to help others)?

What is Channel Bandwidth set to? Is "Enable 160 MHz" checked?
What is the Control Channel set to? Auto or something else? Is "Auto select channel including DFS channels" unchecked or checked?
As a troubleshooting step try setting the Control Channel to 161 (per this post it was indicated it fixed that persons disconnection issue) and reboot the router.
5ghz1.jpg
5ghz2.jpg

Yes, 160 mhz enabled. I cannot see 161 on my control channel. The most it goes is 128. I don't know how to change the country or if I can change it or not on asus router.

There have been some complaints about irregularities with the intel AX cards.

First go into the router, system log, wireless log, and look to see what the desktop is connecting at, signal strength, channel width, etc. It could be that when it connects to your ISP router it is using 80Mhz and when it connects to the asus it is 160, and 160 can be problematic depending on your environment. You can try setting the router to 80 max and see if that makes any difference.

Some other things you can try on the router
Disable universal beamforming on both bands
Disable MU-MIMO on both bands
Disable any "throughput booster" type features

But I would try the 80mhz channel first as that seems to be the common issue, your laptop and phone probably do not support 160 but your desktop does.
I have tried your suggestions but they didn't work. Thanks for the advice, though.

I have tried your suggestions but they didn't work. Thanks for the advice, though.
As for the factory reset, yes, a factory reset is needed when you go from one firmware to another. Not needed when you upgrade a firmware such as upgrading Asus firmware.
Restore is a term that is used when you use a saved configuration file to return your router to a prior state.
After changing firmware from Asus to Merlin or from Merlin to Asus a factory reset is needed with a manual configuration. Don't use a saved configuration file made with Asus firmware on Merlin firmware or vice versa.
For beginners default WIFI is best. Use Dual Band SmartConnect with auto channel and the rest of the "factory" settings. Changing settings can dig you into a configuration hole. After running for a while you may set the channel and bandwidth to fixed values. F.W.I.W. i have my 2.4 GHz set to channel 1 at 20 MHz and the 5 GHz on channel 36 at 80 MHz. My laptops with AX200 cards work well and other picky clients connect quickly and stay connected.

Also, forcing 160 MHz can result in problems especially if you get hit by RADAR. The 5 GHz can shut down. Best to use 20, 40, 80, 160 MHz setting.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!