What's new

AX86U Guest Network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Renzz

New Around Here
I've decided to create a separate hidden guest ssid for my IoT devices but there's 3 guest slots and I've read that some of them behave differently.
Suggestions which slot should i use and what's the difference between them?

Last edited:
I'd suggest the 2nd or 3rd slots (personally I use slot 2). Slot 1 works slightly differently because is designed to work with AiMesh, but that shouldn't really be a problem either.

I've decided to create a separate hidden guest ssid for my IoT devices but there's 3 guest slots and I've read that some of them brhsve differently.
Suggestions which slot should i use and what's the difference between them?

GW1 uses different subnets and VLANs, as @ColinTaylor mentioned, this is for Aimesh to be able to extend the "disable LAN access" out to nodes. It works perfectly fine but it does not let you set manual DHCP leases, and you also can't choose the subets it uses, 2.4Ghz uses 192.168.101.0/24 and 5ghz uses 192.168.102.0/24. There are other parts of it you can't tweak either (without using scripts anyway). I actually find it quite useful as I can extend those VLANs to a wired switch for wired guests, and to my outside AP to extend the guest network out there. But if you don't want that, and want to be able to have a bit more control without scripts, use 2 or 3.

Other than the IP addressing they behave pretty much the same.

I'd suggest the 2nd or 3rd slots (personally I use slot 2). Slot 1 works slightly differently because is designed to work with AiMesh, but that shouldn't really be a problem either.
GW1 uses different subnets and VLANs, as @ColinTaylor mentioned, this is for Aimesh to be able to extend the "disable LAN access" out to nodes. It works perfectly fine but it does not let you set manual DHCP leases, and you also can't choose the subets it uses, 2.4Ghz uses 192.168.101.0/24 and 5ghz uses 192.168.102.0/24. There are other parts of it you can't tweak either (without using scripts anyway). I actually find it quite useful as I can extend those VLANs to a wired switch for wired guests, and to my outside AP to extend the guest network out there. But if you don't want that, and want to be able to have a bit more control without scripts, use 2 or 3.

Other than the IP addressing they behave pretty much the same.
I understand.
Well i don't have any AP or using AiMesh so it seems i don't need the first slot.
Thank you i will use the second one 🙂

I use slot two on my AX86U. I have a AiMesh with a AC86U as a node. If I am understanding you correctly, if I use slot 1, my guests will be able to connect to either router in my mesh as opposed to just the AX86U?

I use slot two on my AX86U. I have a AiMesh with a AC86U as a node. If I am understanding you correctly, if I use slot 1, my guests will be able to connect to either router in my mesh as opposed to just the AX86U?

Yes, 'slot1' guest networks must be set to sync to and will broadcast from all nodes. AiMesh uses vlans to do this, but this implementation is subject to change by the arriving Guest Network Pro 3.0.0.6 firmware on some models.

Use slot2,3 guest networks for a standalone router (no AiMesh nodes) to avoid any interim vlan weirdness with using slot1.

OE

Last edited:
I had all my IoT devices, all outside camera's, on 2.4g Guest 1. Saw @ColinTaylor reply and moved over to Guest 2 and it works
much better. No signal drops or cameras offline, solid. Nice!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!