What's new

RT-AX86U Pro newbie questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Summer10

New Around Here
I'm a little confused by the Guest Wifi networks. In particular, the access intranet option. When it shows "Disable" does that mean it's enabled and clicking will disable it?

If Intranet Access is not enabled then IoT devices on that SSID cannot be controlled with a phone on the same SSID? Is that correct?

Is there any reason not to enable Intranet Access on the Guest Wifi network since anything connected there won't be able to access the main network anyway?

Is there any functional difference between Guest 1, 2 and 3?

Is it worth setting up HTTPS if you're going to connect to the router over your own LAN?

I'm using firmware 3.00.0.4.388_23285. In general, how do you decide when to update?

Thanks for any help.

This Asus document may provide answers to your Guest Network functionality and setup questions:

4 - Yes, both GN1s are used for AiMesh GN propagation to nodes, have different subnet and assigned internal AiMesh use only VLANs. If you have single router better use GN2/3. Tested more compatible and trouble free for most single router setups.

5 - Use HTTP, no need to encrypt your own communication. You can use HTTPS, if you want to. Some Web browsers force HTTPS use.

6 - Follow new firmware threads, wait a week and observe the feedback, update when you think it's a good time. Your router may auto update if Asus decides the update is necessary or it's the new minimum required firmware. It happened in the past and it was made official by Asus.

I'm a little confused by the Guest Wifi networks. In particular, the access intranet option. When it shows "Disable" does that mean it's enabled and clicking will disable it?

The default Disable (Disabled) means a guest client cannot access the local network (LAN/WLANs)... the intranet. (Excuse the sometimes awkward wording from ASUS.)

If Intranet Access is not enabled then IoT devices on that SSID cannot be controlled with a phone on the same SSID? Is that correct?

Yes, guest clients can only access the Internet, so no direct local access. However, some IoT devices like Wyze are accessed through their cloud account on the Internet, so Internet access only is good enough for their local app to access their local IoT devices... via the Internet.

Is there any reason not to enable Intranet Access on the Guest Wifi network since anything connected there won't be able to access the main network anyway?

Not correct... review above. Leave guest intranet access disabled to keep untrusted devices/guests out of your local network resources/stuff.

Is there any functional difference between Guest 1, 2 and 3?

Guest1 WLANs... IPs will be *.101.xxx and *.102.xxx (not reserveable; VLANs 501,502); are designed to sync to all AiMesh nodes; and may require vlan configuration in managed switches.

Guest2,3 WLANs are on main router/AiMesh root node only.

Given Guest1 was tweaked to sync to AiMesh nodes, use Guest2 on a standalone router to avoid Guest1 quirks.

ASUS is re-engineering Guest Networks in firmware coming soon for 'Pro' models, so all of this may be different then for 'Pro' firmware.

Is it worth setting up HTTPS if you're going to connect to the router over your own LAN?

I assume my network is secure and leave it at the default HTTP... and leave the Login Captcha enabled and use a simple webUI login password.

I'm using firmware 3.00.0.4.388_23285. In general, how do you decide when to update?

You monitor the new firmware release thread here (ex: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...-0-0-4_388_23565-2023-06-20.85557/post-849875) and upgrade when you trust it and want it.

Always review the firmware release notes for any special advice/insights.

OE

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!