What's new

AX86U questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

homeofwind

Regular Contributor
Hi Members,

I am new to ASUS router/Meilin and just bought 2 AX86U for the aimesh. Some questions I like to ask for advice:

My internet is 120/10. The house is old one with about 3000 square feet-2 stories and basement.

1. Shall I wait for the stable Meilin firmware for AX86U or can start using the Beta 2 version? Any risks and what it is the benefit? If I load the beta Meilin, shall I load only to the main router or should do both as I use 1 as node.

2. How to extend AX86U's 5G coverage? I am testing 2 AX86U aimesh now (wireless) and cannot do wired as it is a 2 floor and there is no feasible way to get the node wired. As it is an old house and the main router can only be placed in the far end of the basement-I don't have options. I am placing the node AX86U on the second floor and getting 35/10 from it-not very good IMO given the money spent for the 2 units. Will the beta Meilin help at all for the signal? Shall I get the 2nd node-a cheaper one just for the coverage? Or worst is to move the modem closer to the stair where there is more open space?

3. Any settings adjustment on the factory router QOS that can help?

4. 5g coverage is my main concern and I am having more wifi6 stuff-if you have better router model with better 5g coverage please share with me.

Thanks for the help!

ASUS suggest to have 3-5m between connected wireless routers :) https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1040444/

with QoS on for this router speed limit will be 300Mbit+ - changing it will not improve your situation. You can always disable it and check.
Different router will not change wi-fi quality/ range as wi-fi power was limited years ago (10y+) - international noise regulations. This can be improved with CFE modification no warranty, you can break your router

Did you try 2.4GHz setup. The only reason to go to 5GHz is when you have hundreds 2.4GHz devices, your device (new laptop etc. do not have 2.4GHz) and you need speed above 450Mbit. 5GHz is always weaker (smaller range) signal compering to 2.4GHz wi-fi.

Flash both routers to the same firmware you want to use/test. You may want to wait for RMerlin and see if he possibly releases a special updated firmware for the RT-AX86U (a 1.7GB GPL blob was dropped on him after he had uploaded Beta 3 with a 'frankenflash' build for the 'AX86U spanning 4 GPL releases).

Myself, I am using Beta 3 and just like Beta 2, has been very stable. :)

The following links may help get your router and network into a better place.

New M&M 2020

L&LD | SmallNetBuilder Forums

ASUS suggest to have 3-5m between connected wireless routers :) https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1040444/

with QoS on for this router speed limit will be 300Mbit+ - changing it will not improve your situation. You can always disable it and check.
Different router will not change wi-fi quality/ range as wi-fi power was limited years ago (10y+) - international noise regulations. This can be improved with CFE modification no warranty, you can break your router

Did you try 2.4GHz setup. The only reason to go to 5GHz is when you have hundreds 2.4GHz devices, your device (new laptop etc. do not have 2.4GHz) and you need speed above 450Mbit. 5GHz is always weaker (smaller range) signal compering to 2.4GHz wi-fi.
I just read that, 3-5M seems like a damn joke.

While having the latest firmware should maximise what you can achieve from your routers, how far a wireless signal will travel also depends on the materials it needs to pass though, so for instance a signal will travel further through plasterboard than though concrete or brick. And as noted by Adooni above, higher frequency signals (5ghz+) are worse at travelling than lower frequency ones, whether though air or though other materials. If you need to rely on wireless connectivity between routers on different floors where dense material are used, aim to keep them as directly above/below as you can - travelling obliquely through brick / concrete will increase the effective distance though the dense medium. Alternatively you may get a better result using Homeplug devices to effectively create a wired backhaul, however this will also depend on the quality of the wiring loom, as well as any other devices also connected to the wiring.

Flash both routers to the same firmware you want to use/test. You may want to wait for RMerlin and see if he possibly releases a special updated firmware for the RT-AX86U (a 1.7GB GPL blob was dropped on him after he had uploaded Beta 3 with a 'frankenflash' build for the 'AX86U spanning 4 GPL releases).

New M&M 2020

Thanks.
I am about to flash beta3-what is the best procedure to do it? Any simple steps and settings afer flashing for best performance?

New M&M 2020

Do you use QOS? As far as i can tell its totally broke on beta2 and 3. I messed with setting priorities with and without flexqos then using iftop to see results... pretty much just like no qos enabled. But then i realized the only reason i need qos is streaming, which i have 3 nvidia shields. So im been tinkering with teh geforce qos. Seems to be working pretty good so far. Edit: on a ax86. beta2 was rock solid on my ac86u

Do you use QOS? As far as i can tell its totally broke on beta2 and 3. I messed with setting priorities with and without flexqos then using iftop to see results... pretty much just like no qos enabled. But then i realized the only reason i need qos is streaming, which i have 3 nvidia shields. So im been tinkering with teh geforce qos. Seems to be working pretty good so far. Edit: on a ax86. beta2 was rock solid on my ac86u
I am really new to Merlin and settings-do you mean beta2,3 is not working properly for QOS?

I am really new to Merlin and settings-do you mean beta2,3 is not working properly for QOS?
on a AX86u Adaptive qos does not seem to be working (for me) and i factory reset many times. Rmerlin told me yesterday how broke the firmware was, then he released the Frankenstein build. Hopefully the next one with the blobs he received from asus will fix this.

on a AX86u Adaptive qos does not seem to be working (for me) and i factory reset many times. Rmerlin told me yesterday how broke the firmware was, then he released the Frankenstein build. Hopefully the next one with the blobs he received from asus will fix this.

Ok. I may just wait for the new version. My main concern is if flashing the Rmerlin can improve the wifi performance with some setting adjustments. Do you see the improvement?

Ok. I may just wait for the new version. My main concern is if flashing the Rmerlin can improve the wifi performance with some setting adjustments. Do you see the improvement?
merlin is going to do nothing for wifi adjustments.

one more question: what is the difference of Rmeilin firmware and other 3rd party firmwares such as provided by Kool Share from China? Can this unit bought from Canada flash other 3rd party firmware?

one more question: what is the difference of Rmeilin firmware and other 3rd party firmwares such as provided by Kool Share from China? Can this unit bought from Canada flash other 3rd party firmware?

There is no source code available for any of the Koolshare firmware, so nobody knows what they actually added or changed to the code...

I have one question on pairing Google Home and Echo Dot bluetooth. It seems 1) Google Home can not be added to the Asus wifi-it always failed at last step; 2) Echo Dot can be added but I can't find it on bluetooth scan at all. I can pair both without issues under old non-asus wifi. I am using the latest stock firmware. Any advice?

) Google Home can not be added to the Asus wifi-it always failed at last step; 2) Echo Dot can be added but I can't find it on bluetooth scan at all.
You didn't provide much information, but the point you need to be aware is related to the router's external domain name. You need to go through DDNS settings and be sure that the router is reachable. One of the simplest ways to make it fast and without any issue is using asus DDNS service.
I successfully linked my router to Alexa.

You didn't provide much information, but the point you need to be aware is related to the router's external domain name. You need to go through DDNS settings and be sure that the router is reachable. One of the simplest ways to make it fast and without any issue is using asus DDNS service.
I successfully linked my router to Alexa.
Just start to learn DDNS:) thank you

By the way, I am tesing out 2 nodes: 1 is another AX86U and 1 is AX58U-have not noticed any wifi signal difference for the 2 yet but since my main router is AX86U-shall I keep the other AX86U as node or AX58U is sufficient? I assume 2 identical AX86U can work better together?

One more thing, I see in the system log, there are lots of messeges -lots of them start with "kernel: CONSOLE" Is it normal? And RAM on my AX86U is running at 53% of 1024MB-seems quite high percentage-normal?