What's new

AX88U disconnecting clients on Guest account

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yesgeek

Occasional Visitor
I'm having a problem where my computers that are my guest account get disconnected. The only way to fix it is by disabling and reenabling my network adapter so that it disconnects and reconnects. I know it's not the network card because I recently replaced it with a new Wifi 6 card and I have the same problem with my Xbox that is also on the guest network. I have 2 guest networks set up one for my IoT devices and one for my laptop and Xbox.

I'm not sure if this is related to the problem but when I first tried adding the IoT devices to my guest network they would not connect. The only way I was able to add them was to add them on my main network then change the SSID of my guest network to the same SSID and then change the SSID of my main network to something else.

Basically, I had SSID: iotthings as my main SSID connected all the IoT devices. Then I enabled my guest network and named it SSID: iotthings and changed the SSID to be SSID: homenetwork
Then i restarted everything and my IoT devies connected to the network.

I have 5ghz disabled for all networks both guest and main network. This only happens on my guest network. The devices on my main network never disconnect.

Is there a limitation to the amount of devices that can be connected to my guest network? Could this be the issue? I have not messed with any of the settings so everything is mostly how it comes from default. Im running 34.19_0 firmware

I'm having a problem where my computers that are my guest account get disconnected. The only way to fix it is by disabling and reenabling my network adapter so that it disconnects and reconnects. I know it's not the network card because I recently replaced it with a new Wifi 6 card and I have the same problem with my Xbox that is also on the guest network. I have 2 guest networks set up one for my IoT devices and one for my laptop and Xbox.

I'm not sure if this is related to the problem but when I first tried adding the IoT devices to my guest network they would not connect. The only way I was able to add them was to add them on my main network then change the SSID of my guest network to the same SSID and then change the SSID of my main network to something else.

Basically, I had SSID: iotthings as my main SSID connected all the IoT devices. Then I enabled my guest network and named it SSID: iotthings and changed the SSID to be SSID: homenetwork
Then i restarted everything and my IoT devies connected to the network.

I have 5ghz disabled for all networks both guest and main network. This only happens on my guest network. The devices on my main network never disconnect.

Is there a limitation to the amount of devices that can be connected to my guest network? Could this be the issue? I have not messed with any of the settings so everything is mostly how it comes from default. Im running 34.19_0 firmware
I had this issue randomly and found that rebooting the router once a week solved the issue.

It started with the odd device dropping, mainly IOT things that were older, but slowly got worse as time went on.

I had this issue randomly and found that rebooting the router once a week solved the issue.

It started with the odd device dropping, mainly IOT things that were older, but slowly got worse as time went on.
After updating to the latest firmware the devices are connecting fine now but there not going through my vpn tunnel now. So I’m thinking it’s a problem with my guest network having problems with my vpn configuration. I guess I’ll have to keep trying different configurations and see if I can get it to work. I followed the Tutorial from my vpn and rechecked that everything was correct multiple times and reset the router a couple times but guest network still isn’t going through the vpn.

I guess I’ll have to keep trying different configurations and see if I can get it to work. I followed the Tutorial from my vpn and rechecked that everything was correct multiple times and reset the router a couple times but guest network still isn’t going through the vpn.
Could it be that your router is renewing it's IP address from your ISP that is causing some of the the disconnects ? especially with your vpn ?
In my case the problem stemmed from this and in the Wireless setting tab, the channel was set to "Auto" on 2.4 GHz.
Every time the chanel would "hop" something would have trouble reassociating or the sound would get out of sync on the TV.

Because my neighbors all channel hop, I didn't recall setting it to this.
Between channel hopping and 600 second lease times from my ISP was where I found the trouble.

Which guest client are you running on (1)?
I had the same issue when I had configured guest 1 to go through the VPN- they wouldn't tunnel through, but as soon as I configured Guest 2, everything worked

Could it be that your router is renewing it's IP address from your ISP that is causing some of the the disconnects ? especially with your vpn ?
In my case the problem stemmed from this and in the Wireless setting tab, the channel was set to "Auto" on 2.4 GHz.
Every time the chanel would "hop" something would have trouble reassociating or the sound would get out of sync on the TV.

Because my neighbors all channel hop, I didn't recall setting it to this.
Between channel hopping and 600 second lease times from my ISP was where I found the trouble.
I tried setting to a specific channel but still seem to have the same issue. It was working for a while. I'm not sure what the issue is but it seems to be a problem with the guest networks only. There are three different guest networks that can be activated and some of them work better than others for some reason.

My network is pretty complicated because I'm using an Openwrt router in a wireless bridge mode to connect to an AP on a public network and then I have one of the LAN ports connected to the WAN port of my Asus router. I don't really understand exactly how it all works but I managed to get everything working except this issue with one of the guest networks disconnecting devices and getting the devices on the guest network to go through my VPN.

I've never really had luck with this in my previous routers. I'm guessing the guest network is just a VLAN but my networking knowledge is limited. I'll probably just end up using another router I have laying around and just create a separate network for my guest and IoT devices.

Is this not all because a guest network has no access to any services on the router with the exception of accessing the internet ?

So the VPN and everything else that goes with are tied to the "intranet" side of the network and can be accessed from there ?

Just as a try, if you allow the Guest network to access your intranet, does everything work ?

I'm using an Openwrt router in a wireless bridge mode to connect to an AP on a public network and then I have one of the LAN ports connected to the WAN port of my Asus router
What are the chances the AP on the Public Network is channel hopping ?
Have you checked this regularly ?

If you don't own the connection ... you might have to "suffer through" this.
Or add another cheap AP for your guest network.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!