What's new

AX88U External Interface Crashed but Wireless Stayed Up?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KCL

Occasional Visitor
My Topology:

One AX88U plus three AX92U as AiMesh nodes. One of the AX92Us is connected to the AX88U via ethernet (set to AX88 as the backhaul.). Using standard ASUS firmware (3.0.0.4.388_22525)

It had been working OK for awhile. But it would drop the non-hardwired nodes now and again, cutting off devices intermittently. A few weeks ago, I went into the ASUS app to see if I could see anything obvious but the AX88U refused the connection. I tried rebooting and it didn't come back. I tried from my desktop machine (also wired into the unit) and it couldn't reach it. Also, my Time Machine backups to the USB drive couldn't connect, so maybe Samba crashed too?

However, most of the devices (most critically my wife's work computer) were humming along nicely. Since we could still both get internet and the kids could still stream, I put that on the shelf for the moment and tended to more immediate issues.

This morning, I circled back to it. I rebooted the modem, relocated and reset both of the unwired AX92us and now it seems to be working.

I upgraded to the AX88u about two years ago to take over for my Costco Nighthawk that was really struggling with our network. I've got about 50 "smart" devices (wall switches, plugs, Ring cameras, Nest thermostats, appliances, several streaming devices, etc) and given they all seem to want to chat out over the internet on a regular basis, I was wondering if I am now overloading my AIMesh? Or the AX88u?

We're with AT&T and in the interest of less radio traffic, I've turned off the wireless network within the AT&T "modem." I was toying with the idea of turning on the 2.4 band of the AT&T device and connecting a majority of my devices to that to lessen the strain on the AX88U. Thoughts?

Any take is welcome!

Scott.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!