What's new

Best Mixed Mode 802.11N with Good Range

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BBurgDave

Occasional Visitor
I have a 3 story house with an 802.11G router (D-Link WBR-2310) located in the bottom floor and I am trying to decide what type of router to get to add mixed-mode 802.11 N/G support in my house. I have a number of computers (maybe 5-7) connected to the router via Ethernet cable and I have the following devices on wireless:

Lenovo T61P (802.11 G)
Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop (802.11 G or N) - this computer is generally one floor above the router
PS3 (same floor as router, next room)
Canon wireless printer (802.11G) - this is one floor above the router

Nothing is over 100 feet from the router, but I do have somethings one floor up, or in adjacent rooms.

The reason I am considering the upgrade is that I have been having problems with wireless connections on my current router which often require a reboot of the router to re-establish. Also, the test between the laptop and printer one floor up from the router shows "iffy" connection that may or may not work consistently.

I may one day stream video to a netflix player of some type (this would be on same floor as router in next room), but I am not doing that yet.

I have been researching this a while and have narrowed it down to these 3 routers (ranked in order based on my current thinking):

1. DLink DIR-655 (A4)
  2. LinkSys WRT-400n
  3. DLink DIR-825

Based on my research, the DIR-655 looks like a good router for my needs, but the one big question I have is range. It appears to me that the WRT-400n might work better for the devices I have one floor up from the router, but I am not positive given all the conflicting reviews floating around.

I had almost ruled out the DIR-655 because of all the problems reported with firmware, but it appears to me that the latest firmware (1.33) has resolved those issues, which should make this router a solid choice again for needs like mine.

Do you agree, or does the WRT-400n (for $20 more) really give me more range and bang for my buck?

Any advice? Trying to keep price below $130, btw.

Last edited:
Bump!

Never really got a reply to this, but I am still pondering which router is best for my needs (not in a hurry obviously) and my router search has (naturally) been expanded to include a good look at the WNDR3700.

Somehow, I keep coming back to the DIR-655 though, which can be had right now at Amazon for $88. I have seen all the posts about firmware issues, but based on what I am reading the latest firmware (1.33NA) seems to be fairly solid.

Based on what I have said about my current and future usage, do you agree that this router is probably a good choice? I do have a couple of concerns still though:

(1) Do I need to worry about the fact that this router has been out a couple years already? One advantage would seem to be that it is now "debugged" presumably ...

(2) What about the fact that it is "draft 802.11N" as opposed to "certified" which some of the latest routers are?

BTW, my current router is an 802.11G Dlink WBR-2310 which has become somewhat unreliable (every few days it seems to stop broadcasting and I have to reboot the router). I am guessing that the 655, or any of the other routers I have mentioned, would be a nice upgrade to this from a performance perspective ...

Dave

Last edited:
Hi.

Im not an expert, but im writing because im almost in same situation like you. I narrowed mine to DIR-825 or DIR-655, and according to the tests on smallnetbuilder 825 is suppose to be better then 655, its only issue being that it only has 2 antennas. So considering your 3 floor house, 655 would be a nice choice afterall. When it comes to me, i think im gonna be going for an ASUS RT-N16 because of the following facts, It nails any other router out there when it comes to P2P connectivity, its GUI is just awsome, its USB file sharing with ability to download thru ftp or bittorent direct to the connected usb device, even when your own computer is shutoff. When it comes to the range and wireless performance, its awsome to a distance of 1-6 meters but behind other routers when it comes to longer distances, which with other word would fail one of your criterias, so i wudnt recommend that to you. I my self have a 2 floor appt, but i think it would work just fine for my appt. Anyway, good luck.

A newbie 2c, but am an old hand at technology.

All APs+routers technology boils down to highest possible speed, range, interoperability, ease of use and installation. Then the product has to be reliable, so it works as it should throughout its lifetime, the longer the better. Whatever gets that done cheaply, wins!

From SNB, other external reviews, and its popularity since 2007 suggests its got all the things you need, except range in a setting similar to SNB test suite, dropping to ~ half once outside the A test area. Since 11g only delivers 22Mbps throughput at best, you're looking at 2x improvement in the better locales:

dlink_dir655a4_wireless_performance.jpg

The only issue would be if you need access on the farther end of this scale.

Last edited:
Hi.

I narrowed mine to DIR-825 or DIR-655, and according to the tests on smallnetbuilder 825 is suppose to be better then 655, its only issue being that it only has 2 antennas.

Which tests are you referring to? I was initially very excited about the 825 when I first read about it, but the more I read about it, both on SNB and other sites such as CNET, the more skeptical I am about the latest rev. The Quick Review on SNB in particular seems to be saying that the 825 has gone backwards in the latest rev and the reviews on CNET are very negative on the 825 with regards to mixed-mode operation.

I'd love to be talked into thinking the 825 is better than the 655 since it is newer, but so far it does not seem to me that it is, surprisingly.

Dave

Read the closing thoughts on the following review, http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...outer-second-times-the-charm?showall=&start=5

It says the following: The bottom line is that if you have been thinking about buying the 855, then save some money and get the 825

Even though you are asking for comparision between 655 and 825, i assume 855 is better then the 655 considering its price and other features it provides. So if 825 can deliver the same as 855 then i assume it beats 655 aswell. Remember that this review is the A1 version of the 825, the other one is B1. If you ask be what the difference is, then you are asking the wrong person. Might be 2 different review on the same product.

The biggest problem with the D-Link DIR-655 has been with the firmware because the hardware is good and it works well. I got one in a trade deal from a friend and mine is the A2 version. It was on a very early firmware version when I got it so I upgraded to the newest at the time which was 1.32. This was a mistake and every few days it would slow way down and have to be rebooted even with moderate home network traffic. I replaced it with a Linksys WRT320N that's been rock solid for months without a reboot.

With that said I've since installed the 1.33 firmware on the D-Link and set it up as an AP over at my folks' place where it's been working well for the last several weeks. It's working as a wireless AP only and not doing any routing, QOS etc.

The DIR-655 has very good coverage and it's encryption etc seems to work well with a variety of wireless client adapters. Previously I had some problems with the adapter in my Dad's laptop working with WPA2 encryption on some AP's but with the D-Link everything seems to work well.

it sounds to me like the B1 took a step backwards on wired performance and throughput, but that it is better than the A1 on wireless performance. Am I reading that correctly?
Yep. That about sums it up.

DIR-655 just way to many issues with the firmware which is current. I lost money on that router purchase which is now in a crate. Just get Belkin N+, but hardware versions are now 1, 2, and even 3. I prefer v1. Might be hard to find. v2 offers SOC using one chip instead of two like in v1. Gig Processor is pretty standard. I have no issues Gig wise. 802.11N is very good to excellent. I've recently replaced all aging wired and wireless systems with brand new 802.11n Laptops, Netbooks and Quad-core desktops using PCI-E Gig ports. Everything is on W7 either 32-bit or 64-bit using IPV6 protocol which Belkin N+ supports and is W7 ready too. Out of the box the laptops and netbooks see the Belkin N+ and connect without issues. Prior laptops and desktops are still in use, they are on W7 also mix bag of PCI Gig, 802.11N and 802.11G. Everyone works but on IPV6 though. IPV4 to much issues with 802.11. I only got one wireless laptop that runs WXP Pro SP3 on 12 year old PII that uses the new Mini-USB 802.11n using IPV6 too. No issues. PCMICA cards over heat and tend to drop the connection on 802.11N.

Last edited:
DIR-655 just way to many issues with the firmware which is current. I lost money on that router purchase which is now in a crate. Just get Belkin N+, but hardware versions are now 1, 2, and even 3. I prefer v1. Might be hard to find. v2 offers SOC using one chip instead of two like in v1. Gig Processor is pretty standard. I have no issues Gig wise. 802.11N is very good to excellent. I've recently replaced all aging wired and wireless systems with brand new 802.11n Laptops, Netbooks and Quad-core desktops using PCI-E Gig ports. Everything is on W7 either 32-bit or 64-bit using IPV6 protocol which Belkin N+ supports and is W7 ready too. Out of the box the laptops and netbooks see the Belkin N+ and connect without issues. Prior laptops and desktops are still in use, they are on W7 also mix bag of PCI Gig, 802.11N and 802.11G. Everyone works but on IPV6 though. IPV4 to much issues with 802.11. I only got one wireless laptop that runs WXP Pro SP3 on 12 year old PII that uses the new Mini-USB 802.11n using IPV6 too. No issues. PCMICA cards over heat and tend to drop the connection on 802.11N.

That msg packs a punch in info tipstir, much thanks. What kind of 11n throughputs are you getting on your best and worst devices?

Have you used the Belkin N+ with a PS3? I have been looking at reviews on the Belkin N+ since you posted this and they are highly contradictory. CNET seems to think it is very good with great range, PCMAG is the opposite. The review on SNB is not too bad and would be better with the current price point (you can get this now for about $80). I take it your experience with it matches more what CNET says about it with regards to performance versus PCMAG?

Last edited:
Well, decided to try out the WNDR 3700 after months of research. It has more features than I really need, but the thing that really swayed me in the end were the user reviews at Amazon, Best Buy and Newegg. One thing I look at in reviews is the ratio of "1s" to "5s" and this router is running around 8-10 to 1 (1s to 5s) while the DIR 825, for example, is running around 1.5 to 1 in the reviews. Since my main criteria is that I want a router that works well and is reliable, the positive reviews had a big influence on me.

My initial observations on the router:

1. It was very easy to setup manually, which surprised me given some of the reviews. I have both 2.4 and 5 ghz nets set up with WPA2 AES security and I have a USB drive connected through the router. The whole thing took me about 10 minutes and the 802.11g clients were able to connect with no change (I did switch one client over to the 5ghz net, but it had already connected on 2.4 ghz)
  2. The range for 2.4 ghz is great, much better than my old router (DLink WBR-2310 802.11g). The 5ghz radio has shorter range, but appears to be similar to the 2.4ghz on my old router (so, adequate).
  3. My speeds went up by about 10-15% with the router (but I am not using Gigabit yet), so this is apples-to-apples. The one client that I switched from 802.11g to 802.11n doubled on download speed (to about 20 MBPS from about 10), but the upload speed looked about the same
  4. The NAS looks very slow for writing, as most have said, but it is very easy to setup (I am using a Seagate FreeAgent drive). It does look like it will be adequate, however, for backing up a home network (file changes, not drive images)

I'll update after I have tested it more.

Last edited:
Small update on my WNDR3700 that I purchased in late March to replace a flaky DLink router. Since I plugged it in and got it going (which was fairly simple), so far I have restarted it (checking records ...) zero times! The only problem I have seen at all is that I once had a problem where my wife's laptop on the 5ghz channel could not see a network printer on the 2.4ghz channel, but (if I remember right) that was fixed by restarting the laptop.

Dave

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!