What's new

Best router for gaming?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Riekopo

Regular Contributor
I've got a new custom built high end gaming PC and a new Xbox One X. As well as a new LG OLED TV which is used to stream 4K HDR videos every day. All three devices are wired using Cat6a cables. The LG OLED TV is directly connected to the router which is an Asus RT-AC1750. The gaming PC and Xbox One X are connected to a Zyxel PLA5456 powerline Ethernet adapter.

I only bought the current Asus router as a stopgap because my old Asus N66U "Dark Knight" router died on me after years of constant use. I would like to buy a router that will provide me with the best performance in gaming. I've been reading a lot of reviews, but find that they often contradict each other. PCGamer has an article for the best gaming router in which they test game framerate, video packet loss, dropped frames, latency, etc. I am considering making my decision based on their review though they don't provide all of the test results which they quote. And they also don't list the firmware version used during the tests or what settings were used. This really annoys me.

I will most likely not be using Wi-Fi for gaming or video streaming so wired performance is what I should consider most strongly I think. I would really love to hear from the experts here and even Tim himself if he has a chance to respond.

I love the UI interface which comes with most of the Asus routers. Though it looks like their gaming routers have a different UI which looks pretty ugly. I have to say that I really don't like the visual aesthetics of the Asus gaming routers. They are really ugly in my opinion and it makes me not want to buy one. I very much like how the Linksys WRT32X looks and am inclined to buy it because I owned one of the WRT54G models many years ago. Does anyone know if the WRT32X is stackable? The custom UI of the WRT32X looks pretty good to me though maybe lacking all of the Asus options.

The Asus "Adaptive QOS" feature seems very useful to me, but I don't know if any other routers have a feature like that. That's something I would like to know. At the very least I would like to give my PC and Xbox One X priority on the network. One thing I read in the comments section of the PCGamer article is that the QOS feature of the Linksys WRT32X does not work on the data upstream, only on the downstream.

I would also like to know how to optimize my router settings for gaming and video streaming. And how I can test my network to verify I have selected the best settings. Thank you for any help you can provide!

best router for gaming is not a gaming router, burn that into your head.

If you want the best router, you really have to learn networking as they're not user friendly. For instance the router i use lets me do any QoS i want, but its also not easy to configure.

I'm using the eero Gen 2 and have no issues gaming on Xbox One X and PS4 along while streaming multiple 4K movies. Good luck.

My Netgear R7800 works greate for gaming on XBOX ONE, XBOX X, PS4, Nintendo switch, and also for 4K streaming so just pick one.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!