What's new

[Beta 384/NG] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.3 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
does this mean that the guest ssid does not handle special characters? i

Special characters have been causing random issues for years, be it in SSIDs, device names or passwords. Just don't try anything fancy and stick to alphanumeric.

My special character in SSID is only underscore "_" and it never gave any problems in 382.1_2 .You can reproduce problem in following mode: create (or enable previous created guest network ) a guest network SSID and verify if it is displayed automatically on wifi list of the smartphone,likewise when you remove a guest network verify if it is removed from smartphone sssid list.

This is what I did, and the SSID appeared and disappeared normally for me.

@RMerlin I now that You do very big work for as, but do You thinks to correct problems with dual WAN if second WAN is USB LTE modem?

I don't touch neither Dual WAN or USB modem code.

@RMerlin
Do you plan to reintroduce RT-AC87U to the ng codebase now that they've released the GPL code for it?

I don't see a compelling reason to upgrade routers just yet.

Thank you very much for your awesome work, Merlin! Although it has been working like rock solid since alpha 3 on my RT-AC68U for me, I am willing to give this version a try. Have a lovely week, Merlin.

Last edited:
Special characters have been causing random issues for years, be it in SSIDs, device names or passwords. Just don't try anything fancy and stick to alphanumeric.

got it but u and i both know the simplest fix is to not allow special chars and document that or FIX the damn problem! i suspect the problem rears its ugly head during a handshake cause i've been using spec chars for years and have not ever "known" of a problem till now. doesn't mean i wasn't having one. this is a lot like driving an american car. i've had several, have one now but NONE can touch the quality of toyota/lexus.

from one now ex sw developer to another, your diligent hard work is very much appreciated. if i can help, holler, k.

Any Astrill users running 384.3 Beta with the Router applet yet? (apart from me, of course)

I did a factory reset after updating to 384.3 Beta and reinstalled the Astrill Router applet - v2.9.9.9

It connects, but kills the internet on both Wifi interfaces - even though, I have it configured to only route traffic on the 5GHz interface via VPN.

Obviously reporting this to Astrill at the moment, beta status, is not going to achieve anything.

Is there any new feature in your mentioned version that you think will be useful?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Compared to Merlin's version, his stuff had problems on my 3100 where my traffic analyzer would not display any traffic at all on both my 802.3ad connection (NAS bonded), and the last few versions had QoS problems not working properly and getting horrible bufferbloat. It would also cause my 5 GHz wireless to drop sometimes (but, 2.4 GHz would be fine).

These problems are completely fixed in ASUSWRT stock versions. Currently running 20287, and will be updating to 20308 later. Will try this beta, but if it's based on the 10xxx code, I don't have high hopes for it.

Could you check the updated nano source ''?
I got a following error message while I built the firmware.
Code:
autoreconf -i -f && ./configure LD=/opt/toolchains/crosstools-arm-gcc-5.3-linux-4.1-glibc-2.22-binutils-2.25/usr/bin/arm-buildroot-linux-gnueabi-ld --host=arm-buildroot-linux-gnueabi --prefix=/krys/asuswrt-merlin.ng/release/src-rt-5.02hnd/targets/94908HND/fs.install/nano/usr --sysconfdir=/jffs/configs \
        CFLAGS="-march=armv7-a -marm -DHND_ROUTER -DCONFIG_BCMWL5 -D__ARM_ARCH_7A__ -DLINUX_KERNEL_VERSION=262427  -DDEBUG_NOISY -DDEBUG_RCTEST -Os -I/krys/asuswrt-merlin.ng/release/src-rt-5.02hnd/bcmdrivers/broadcom/net/wl/bcm94908/main/src/router/ncurses-6.0/include -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections" \
        LDFLAGS=" -L/krys/asuswrt-merlin.ng/release/src-rt-5.02hnd/bcmdrivers/broadcom/net/wl/bcm94908/main/src/router/ncurses-6.0/lib -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -Wl,--gc-sections" \
        PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR="/krys/asuswrt-merlin.ng/release/src-rt-5.02hnd/bcmdrivers/broadcom/net/wl/bcm94908/main/src/router/ncurses-6.0/misc" PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/krys/asuswrt-merlin.ng/release/src-rt-5.02hnd/bcmdrivers/broadcom/net/wl/bcm94908/main/src/router/ncurses-6.0/misc" \
        ac_cv_lib_ncursesw_get_wch=yes --enable-utf8 \
        --disable-speller --disable-extra --disable-tabcomp --enable-wrapping --disable-glibtest \
        --disable-libmagic --disable-nls
configure.ac:57: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_DEFINE_DIR
      If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
      See the Autoconf documentation.
autoreconf: /usr/bin/autoconf failed with exit status: 1
Makefile:6844: recipe for target 'nano/Makefile' failed
make[5]: *** [nano/Makefile] Error 1

@RMerlin
Do you plan to reintroduce RT-AC87U to the ng codebase now that they've released the GPL code for it?

I don't see a compelling reason to upgrade routers just yet.

I will evaluate the RT-AC87U GPL after the 384.3 release has been finalized.

Could you check the updated nano source ''?
I got a following error message while I built the firmware.
Code:
autoreconf -i -f && ./configure LD=/opt/toolchains/crosstools-arm-gcc-5.3-linux-4.1-glibc-2.22-binutils-2.25/usr/bin/arm-buildroot-linux-gnueabi-ld --host=arm-buildroot-linux-gnueabi --prefix=/krys/asuswrt-merlin.ng/release/src-rt-5.02hnd/targets/94908HND/fs.install/nano/usr --sysconfdir=/jffs/configs \
        CFLAGS="-march=armv7-a -marm -DHND_ROUTER -DCONFIG_BCMWL5 -D__ARM_ARCH_7A__ -DLINUX_KERNEL_VERSION=262427  -DDEBUG_NOISY -DDEBUG_RCTEST -Os -I/krys/asuswrt-merlin.ng/release/src-rt-5.02hnd/bcmdrivers/broadcom/net/wl/bcm94908/main/src/router/ncurses-6.0/include -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections" \
        LDFLAGS=" -L/krys/asuswrt-merlin.ng/release/src-rt-5.02hnd/bcmdrivers/broadcom/net/wl/bcm94908/main/src/router/ncurses-6.0/lib -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -Wl,--gc-sections" \
        PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR="/krys/asuswrt-merlin.ng/release/src-rt-5.02hnd/bcmdrivers/broadcom/net/wl/bcm94908/main/src/router/ncurses-6.0/misc" PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/krys/asuswrt-merlin.ng/release/src-rt-5.02hnd/bcmdrivers/broadcom/net/wl/bcm94908/main/src/router/ncurses-6.0/misc" \
        ac_cv_lib_ncursesw_get_wch=yes --enable-utf8 \
        --disable-speller --disable-extra --disable-tabcomp --enable-wrapping --disable-glibtest \
        --disable-libmagic --disable-nls
configure.ac:57: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_DEFINE_DIR
      If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
      See the Autoconf documentation.
autoreconf: /usr/bin/autoconf failed with exit status: 1
Makefile:6844: recipe for target 'nano/Makefile' failed
make[5]: *** [nano/Makefile] Error 1

Try checking out a clean copy of the folder. It (obviously) compiled fine here when I built this beta release.

Is it still possible to overclock the AC68U? As it is impossible to return to previous versions that support overclocking.... ASUS was working on making it more difficult, but I'm not sure if they succeeded?

It fixes a bug I've been noticing with my iPhone X.

- Fixed 5GHz downlink throughput drop problem.

The bug was it was only connecting at a max link speed of 433 rather than the 866 it's capable of connecting at.

I think that this problem has been fixed with IOS 11.2.5. I also have a iPhone X en this problem is gone with the ASUS RT-AC68U but also with a another WiFi point. (not ASUS)

This is what I did, and the SSID appeared and disappeared normally for me.

I also have this problem. He didn’t restart the WiFi. Also if I make a WiFi channel change for the normal WiFi. (not guest)

Our guest network has a special character. (as example merlin-hello) Our normal network didn’t have a special character.

RT-AC68U Rev E1, clean install of RT-AC68U_384.3_beta1, formatted jffs, no usb thumbdrive attached, no backups restored, did a factory reset after install, power cycled, nothing configured but QiS setup, unfortunately QoS still doesn't work. Settings are: Adaptive QoS, manual bandwidth up and down, fq_codel, media streaming profile. Tried toggling QoS off and on again. Waited 10 minutes, no QoS. QoS Traffic Classification Statistics remain empty. Tried rebooting, waited about 8 minutes, no QoS. Will roll back to latest stock firmware now to see if QoS still works there, otherwise I'm rolling back to 380. Don't know what else to do anymore... :(

Has anyone problems with guest networks (ssid appear/disappear updating after enable/disable guest) on ac86u (384.3 beta) ?Is it possible that only me has problems with guest networks?If I back to 382.1_2 all works ok....I think there is a problem with wi fi restart in 384.3 beta....Merlin plese check in firmware code if there is a wifi restart after any modify in wireless settings or guest networks.....I think that a wifi restart procedure doesen't start after a wireless/guest modify....please fix it..thanks

Last edited:
Has anyone problems with guest networks (ssid appear/disappear updating after enable/disable guest) on ac86u (384.3 beta) ?Is it possible that only me has problems with guest networks?If I back to 382.1_2 all works ok....I think there is a problem with wi fi restart in 384.3 beta....Merlin plese check in firmware code if there is a wifi restart after any modify in wireless settings or guest networks.....I think that a wifi restart procedure doesen't start after a wireless/guest modify....please fix it..thanks

Yes, but we do not only have this problem with the guest network. Changes to the normal network are only made after a WiFi restart on the command line. This problem didn't play in the previous versions. Fortunately we change little so it is not a big problem. But it is useful if it just works ;)

I have a RT-AC68U router and you? Maybe it only plays on the RT-AC68U?

I have enabled debugging logging but nothing appears in the log.

@RMerlin,

At the 5ghz band, some numbers are double? why?

Wifi 5ghz Merlin.jpg

My steps (and settings):

- Login
- Choose Wireless
- Band 5GHz
- Wireless mode: N/AC Mixed
- Channel bandwidth 80 MHz

Yes, but we do not only have this problem with the guest network. Changes to the normal network are only made after a WiFi restart on the command line. This problem didn't play in the previous versions. Fortunately we change little so it is not a big problem. But it is useful if it just works ;)

I have a RT-AC68U router and you? Maybe it only plays on the RT-AC68U?

I have enabled debugging logging but nothing appears in the log.

@RMerlin,

At the 5ghz band, some numbers are double? why?

View attachment 11854

My steps (and settings):

- Login
- Choose Wireless
- Band 5GHz
- Wireless mode: N/AC Mixed
- Channel bandwidth 80 MHz

Problems with guest network happens with ac86u (384.3 beta) ,too.I have both...ac86u and ac68u.I think there is a problem in firmware code....probably procedure wifi restart doesen't start after any modify....

RT-AC68U Rev E1, clean install of RT-AC68U_384.3_beta1, formatted jffs, no usb thumbdrive attached, no backups restored, did a factory reset after install, power cycled, nothing configured but QiS setup, unfortunately QoS still doesn't work. Settings are: Adaptive QoS, manual bandwidth up and down, fq_codel, media streaming profile. Tried toggling QoS off and on again. Waited 10 minutes, no QoS. QoS Traffic Classification Statistics remain empty. Tried rebooting, waited about 8 minutes, no QoS. Will roll back to latest stock firmware now to see if QoS still works there, otherwise I'm rolling back to 380. Don't know what else to do anymore... :(

Okay, an update:

I tried Asus stock firmware (RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_384_20308-gead790e), which has the exact same issue: QoS is not starting. No matter what I try, stats aren't loaded, traffic sorting containers remain empty. It's just not functioning.

I really don't get it anymore, as I have seen several people with an RT-AC68U with firmware from the 382 and 384 branch reporting QoS is just working fine.

So I reverted to 380.69_2. QoS works practically immediately. I did nothing different (always follow the exact same procedure when doing an update - or - downgrade in this case), but after going through QiS, I enabled Qos and bam: it just works. No sure what causes this, but something has changed. At least for me something has changed.

@RMerlin: Could this be hardware revision (E1 in my case) specificic? For now I'll stick with 380.69_2 which works great as well, I can only hope that SkyNet, AB-Solution and dnscrypt will stay working.

has someone tried to make a factory reset with ac86u 384.3 beta and what's result about guest networks enable/disable ssid updating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!