What's new

[Beta 384/NG] Asuswrt-merlin 384.4 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
One common cause is that between firmware changes, your router might end up using a different MAC to request a lease. Some ISPs don't deal well with that, and seem to limit your speed until you keep the modem turned off for an extended period of time, releasing the original lease.

I have noticed mine always seems to want to clone a MAC or it just makes one up. I have to clear out the Mac clone setting and then restart the cable modem and router together to fix it.

Once I get it working it's fine forever unless I mess with settings on that page and it decides to act up. Might be after a reset or update when it causes the most trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I normally turn the wifi off in the morning and turn it on at night using the button on the side of the AC86U....since updating to 384.4 Beta 2, the button has stopped functioning twice in the last 4 days....in both cases I was trying to turn the wifi off and it just would not respond...So I would reboot the router to get it to function again...

Updated my 2 RT-AC68U AP's and RT-AC86U router from 384.4 alpha1 to 384.4 beta1. No restore was done. All is well so far.

I updated my ac88u to 384. But then my AP (rt-n66u) stop working.. 384 firmware in not compatible in repeater mode with 380.79 on my RT-n66u

RT-AC86U Router. On 384.4 Beta 2 the setting LAN - IPTV - Enable multicast routing (IGMP Proxy) seems to have become switched from 384.4 Beta 1. In other words, Enabled on 384.4 Beta 2 is what Disabled was on 384.4 Beta 1. I know this because on Beta 1 if I had Enable multicast routing (IGMP Proxy) enabled I would get constant activity on my network card even if the system was idle (trace it back to something to do with UPnP). So I disabled Enable multicast routing (IGMP Proxy) (on Beta 1) and there was almost no activity on the network card with system idle.

Then I flashed Beta 2 and noticed that now I had the constant activity on network card even with system idle and Enable multicast routing (IGMP Proxy) was disabled. So I enabled Enable multicast routing (IGMP Proxy) and now there is almost no activity on network card with system idle.

So that setting must have gotten switched between the two Betas. I hope all this makes sense.

Thanks

This seems to have corrected itself. I rebooted the router and noticed that I was getting a lot of activity on the NIC card when system was idle. So I went back and disabled LAN - IPTV - Enable multicast routing (IGMP Proxy). Now it's almost no activity on NIC when idle.

Strange....

Anyone ever find out what:

Mar 7 05:34:40 kernel: jffs2: warning: (30142) jffs2_sum_write_data: Not enough space for summary, padsize = -1025

in the General Log means?

Thanks....

Just received my AC86U and set up with 384.4 Beta 2 with no issues. Over a very far distance I found that the antennas in the W shape was significantly better than that in the upright E shape. I'm pushing the extents here with 2.4 GHz 20 MHz over 300' away (across the street) to a EA-N66, which has been an absolute champ (would a newly available RT-AC66R in Media-Bridge be better here?).

Erik, you were right, the difference in speed coming from the AC68U to AC86U with SHA256 is night and day; I was hitting 108Mbps down on the aforementioned 2.4 GHz 20 MHz signal, which is more that 4x more than I was seeing and barely any CPU use.

Not a bug, just a UI quirk.

tools.png

Should "Tools" really be in general, instead of "Advanced Settings"

@RMerlin -- My issues regarding this build have now subsided regarding NAT/UPNP issues, been up 8 days since reset no issue since I made a slight change on my external modem removing/disabling WAN 802.1p and had no issue.

Is anyone having trouble getting DLNA server content to be detected by the ROKU media server after the latest update to Beta 2? I am getting the message that there is no compatible media content detected, yet the drive is loaded with all three types of media that is seen via the network file viewer in both android and Windows 10. This seems to be specific to ROKU and the router DLNA server. I've rebooted both the ROKU and the router, reset the DLNA paths via Manual Media Server Path (just to cover my bases), and had it rebuild the database at start on the last reboot. Ideas??
I am running the beta on an AC 5300.
IT WAS NOT a firmware problem at all! I had changed the name of my drive so as to keep track of driver age without a problem. I did NOT delete the handful of drive descriptors added on first spin up of the drive when connected via usb. After deleting those, a full drive database rebuild. This was reflected by router cpu load over 15 minutes or so as it was ACTUALLY REBUILT.
The rebuild checkbox on the media server page had absolutely no effect on the database being rebuilt--even with multiple mount/remount cycles, reboots, firmware rollbacks and reloads, not any other thing. Only removing the disc from the router and deleting those files in the root of the drive corrected the problem!

Last edited:
is it just me or if i change qos from games to a custom priority set, my xbox one goes from open nat to moderate, which makes no sense, ive tried this a few times and it seems to be the case
would this have anyhting to do with it? Seems to appear every time i flick qos proities, id assume qos should not affect nat at all makes no sense.
Mar 10 21:32:25 adaptive QOS: Applying Iptables Rules

New RT-AC86U here.

I'm finding that after a reboot of modem (via power switch on router), that QOS tags for priority on devices and QOS priority rules for traffic types are being lost or reset.
It has updated the firmware fine.

Also under Web History, under 2 devices, I find traffic listed for other devices when it should just list that devices traffic?
This web history is an issue on stock on Asus or Merlin, since taken out of the box. I've cleared the file via the GUI too.

I have no extra config files or anything different - just Merlin's firmware - Beta 2.

Has anybody had any problems with Traffic Analyzer, running 384.4 beta2 and I noticed a discrepancy between the analyzer and what my isp says i used, example yesterday analyzer said I used 52GB of Data while my ISP said I used 28GB of data, obviously I like ISP Data only because they control my cap but I'm wondering who to believe, are I'm looking at apples to apple or apples to orange.

Has anybody had any problems with Traffic Analyzer, running 384.4 beta2 and I noticed a discrepancy between the analyzer and what my isp says i used, example yesterday analyzer said I used 52GB of Data while my ISP said I used 28GB of data, obviously I like ISP Data only because they control my cap but I'm wondering who to believe, are I'm looking at apples to apple or apples to orange.

Traffic Analyzer has been broken for a long time (years now). It records downloaded traffic as both upload and download traffic so it will always report nearly double of what your ISP will.

I have a RT-AC3200 and was wondering if the guest nework SSID option change is available and if so where is it for my model using 384.4 beta 2?
- CHANGED: Allow guest networks settings for AP isolation
and SSID broadcast to be set separately from
their parent interface (John Bacho)

Also is the SMB version selection option available and if so where should it be. Thanks for your help...
- CHANGED: Samba protocol support can now be set to
SMBv1, SMBv2, or SMBv1 + SMBv2 (the new default).
This will result in a performance drop on all
models but the RT-AC86U, but will be more secure.
Ideally, people should change it to SMBv2 only,
and then reboot all their client devices to start
using only the new protocol.

I have FIOS (ipv4-only Internet provider) and am running the tunnel broker (Hurricane Electric) for ipv6 on my ac3200 384.4beta. Works great for my LAN windows PCs, which I have set to favor ipv4 (full speed no tunnel overhead) while giving them the option to access ipv6-only sites via HE.net tunnel. If I turn on router advertisement ipv6, all Android devices (non-PC clients) now go through the tunnel. Is there a way to limit the router advertisement to wired devices (Ethernet) only or only those with certain addresses (MAC, ipv4)?

so i removed my usb drive it went from 93 to 68%.... i cant imagine my printer should be taking that kind of ram up...

Yes i have searched and there isnt a clear cut answer to me..

I have a RT-AC3200 and was wondering if the guest nework SSID option change is available and if so where is it for my model using 384.4 beta 2?
- CHANGED: Allow guest networks settings for AP isolation
and SSID broadcast to be set separately from
their parent interface
The change only prevents the guest options from being forced to follow the primary network options. There is no gui for setting the guest options, you need to do it by setting the nvram options after logging into the router via ssh. If you do a search for SSID hidden, you'll find the right commands.

Thanks john9527

Traffic Analyzer has been broken for a long time (years now). It records downloaded traffic as both upload and download traffic so it will always report nearly double of what your ISP will.
Thanks, never really used this feature until my ISP put a cap on usage.

SMBv2 does not support network browsing. You have to manually enter the URI \\COMPUTERNAME to access shahres.
My problem was I was running the "Home" version reloaded a "Pro" version on my laptop and problem went away, but thanks for you reply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!