What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.13 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Upgraded to beta and running aimesh with main router being rt-ac86u and node being ac-3100 running latest stock firmware. The RT-ac86u was previously running 384.12 with manual commands to enable aimesh. Update was seamless and node reconnected automatically after update. Thanks Merlin for adding aimesh support.

Asuswrt-Merlin 384.13 Beta is now available for all supported models. While the list of changes isn't as long as recent releases, this one introduces some significant changes, primarily in supporting AiMesh (for compatible models).

The highlights:
  • AiMesh support for both router and nodes. See the AiMesh section below for more information.
  • Updated RT-AX88U to GPL 384_6210
  • dnsmasq now uses OpenSSL instead of Nettle for DNSSEC cipher operations. This allows dnsmasq to validate a wider range of ciphers.
  • Note for developers, the dhcp_staticlist format was changed to revert back to the same format as stock firmware (for AiMesh compatibility). The hostname field was moved to a separate variable, dhcp_hostnames. Note that this variable will be stored in a jffs file on the RT-AC86U and RT-AX88U due to limitations on variable length for their HND platform. That means that a backed up config file will not restore these hostnames when restored (but using a JFFS backup will).
  • Some changes also had to be done to the webs_* variables that are used by the new firmware checks, which might affect script developers that were accessing those variables.
  • A number of minor issues were fixed, see the Changelog for details

Things in need of testing:
  • After updating for the first time to a 384.13 build, make sure your DHCP static leases and their defined hostnames are still properly shown on the webui, and that you are still able to add/edit them.
  • Test AiMesh compatibility, mixing stock and non-stock firmware versions on your nodes
  • Test downgrading/upgrading firmware releases on your nodes

Please only post in this thread about this specific beta release.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

Thanks for adding mesh support! I've been a fan of your firmware for years and I'm glad it's an option again. I had a seamless dirty upgrade of all my mesh devices from 384.45717 > 384.13 B1 and have not had any issues yet. My mesh looks like AC86u > AC86U > AC68 and so far it's as great as ever.

Would there still be big merit to doing a reset on all 3 considering this is the first Merlin firmware on these units?

Thanks you again for your work :D

Those of you that have switched from a Main/AP to an AiMain/AiNode:
Have you seen any advantage(s) of moving to an AiMesh network?
Before sending my Family into shock by taking our home network down (briefly) to reattempt AiMesh installation, I'm curious of forum members experiences.

Thank You

Edit: My current setup is working great with no complaints.

Last edited:
If I’m honest, performance wise, I have not seen any real world difference to my previous Router/AP setup.

However, I do like that it is much easier to administer. Logging into the main and being able to check everything from there.

For me that’s good enough.

I love to tinker. If it all works, I get bored!

in System Log - Wireless Log, Device tab, under mac address i see device netbios, but I, in dhcp manual assigment, set only description (name), not hostname....
IMO i should see what i definde in manual assigment
i defined name POCOPHONE-F1
poco_1.png

but in wireless log i see
poco_2.png

Last edited:
Would there still be big merit to doing a reset on all 3 considering this is the first Merlin firmware on these units?

While I try to make the upgrade path automatically handle any config difference, migrating from stock to my firmware is probably best to be done with a factory default reset after the migration.

in System Log - Wireless Log, Device tab, under mac address i see device netbios, but I, in dhcp manual assigment, set only description (name), not hostname....
IMO i should see what i definde in manual assigment

The Wireless Log page uses what's provided through either ARP or DHCP, so it will always be the actual hostname, while the networkmap can provide a user-defined or networkmap-defined label. Devices will provide their own hostname if one isn't provided by the DHCP server. This is by design, because when reporting an IP address, I also want to report its resolvable hostname.

If I’m honest, performance wise, I have not seen any real world difference to my previous Router/AP setup.

However, I do like that it is much easier to administer. Logging into the main and being able to check everything from there.

For me that’s good enough.

I love to tinker. If it all works, I get bored!

In the past config router with 2 AP (wired) , I got sometimes a disconnection / timeout while switching to other AP(second floor) when i were (video)calling or downloading. After install aimesh, never had any disconnection anymore and everything goes smoothly.

For me,
the (small) disadvantage is that you can no longer log in to the nodes (web), or can create an extra ssid on a certain node (ap)

Anyone using Roaming assistant with AIMesh enabled? If so how is the transition between devices?

Anyone using Roaming assistant with AIMesh enabled? If so how is the transition between devices?
AFAIK for aimesh to function as advertised (transitioning clients from node to node), you have to use roaming assistant. I have not had any transitioning issues. I have even tested with voip and streaming videos, and video calls.

AFAIK for aimesh to function as advertised (transitioning clients from node to node), you have to use roaming assistant. I have not had any transitioning issues. I have even tested with voip and streaming videos, and video calls.
Did you add the nodes under roaming block list?

Did you add the nodes under roaming block list?
no, roaming block list is to keep devices from transitioning. its primary function is to only keep devices on parent AP.

upload_2019-7-28_15-44-25.png

this feature is good if you have certain devices that do not play well with the roaming assistant or devices that are on the edge of two signals in which there is not much difference in signal strength. it is suppose to prohibit the device from being roamed.

View attachment 18774
this feature is good if you have certain devices that do not play well with the roaming assistant. it is suppose to prohibit the device from being roamed.
So if I add a gaming device in here, that means it only connects to the main router?

Last edited:
or to the node it makes contact with. it will not bounce to another node. For example, i have security cameras that are pretty close to the out side signals of two nodes, sometimes it wants to connect to one node and sometimes the other. I added it to the roaming block list and it seems to be staying on the node it made first contact with, with no problems.

This may be useful for people with stationary devices that never change position because I can imagine there is no need for a security camera or a computer that never moves locations, to really need to be "roamed" on the network.

For those type of situations, it may be beneficial for your wireless traffic if you define them on the roaming block list, I imagine it would save resources and be helpful for overall wireless performance.

Last edited:
today my node stop responding in fw update page (i cant upload fw becouse page not respond) but i see connected client in client map....

today my node stop responding in fw update page (i cant upload fw becouse page not respond) but i see connected client in client map....
unpair it and repair it and see if the issue goes away

I’m using the following configuration from two day without problem:
1) rt-86u as router with amtm, diversion, YazFi Wi-Fi + connmon + uidivstat
2) rt-68u as node with lan connection
3) dsl-ac68u as node with Wi-Fi connection. For this device I’m using a beta stock firmware which allows me to use it as a node.

Thanks Merlin for your work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!