What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.14 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
AC86U device - FW 384.14 (beta3) - one day of upgrade

Procedure:
- Firefox with cache cleared
- backup current configuration;
- backup JFFS;
- reset to previous FW 384.14 (beta2);
- Firefox with cache cleared;
- upgrade new FW beta;
- reset FW beta installed;
- Firefox with cache cleared;
- restore previous FW and JFFS configuration recovery.

Features enabled and fully functional: Unbound+Stubby (from Entware repo) and Skynet.

Each beta version better than the other. FW beta 3 fully functional.

Last edited:
Val D, do you mean you used to use traditional QOS w/384.12 and now you're not currently using QOS.

Correct. I just tested what results the Traditional QoS will produce on dslreports. It was broken on Asuswrt for quite some time, but looks like it is working again.

Correct. I just tested what results the Traditional QoS will produce on dslreports. It was broken on Asuswrt for quite some time, but looks like it is working again.

Merlin got it back working, and it has been working for a little while now. Only downfall of using it, it will disable all HW Acceleration. So your speeds will be limited, if you have a faster ISP connection.

With the AX88U there is a need for hardware acceleration?

Well if I can remember correctly, you can get about 350-400mbps without it on the AX88U. So if you have higher speeds than that, yes there's still a need for it.

you can get about 350-400mbps without it on the AX88U. So if you have higher speeds than that, yes there's still a need for it.
With speed above 350-400mbps there is QoS need? Old dragon technologies. From what I've noticed, FW Merlin has good use of packages and traffic. Disabling QoS and configuring wireless properly, leaving FW Merlin to work, will have good results.

With speed above 350-400mbps there is QoS need? Old dragon technologies. From what I've noticed, FW Merlin has good use of packages and traffic. Disabling QoS and configuring wireless properly, leaving FW Merlin to work, will have good results.
just turning the router on with merlin on it, will have good results.

Well people fail to realize.. a lot of the faster connections, are only on the downstream side. Especially for the one's who have cable internet. So when your upstream is only 5-35mbps max, yes there's still plenty of need for QoS. I wish we all had symmetrical internet speeds, but that just isn't the case.

wish we all had symmetrical internet speeds, but that just isn't the case.
I've done tests with torrent services, 4K streaming and simultaneous connections and nothing has affected connectivity. With a good data plan, at high speed, there is no time to strangle the network. But I will consider your need and reality.

I've done tests with torrent services, 4K streaming and simultaneous connections and nothing has affected connectivity. With a good data plan, at high speed, there is no time to strangle the network. But I will consider your need and reality.

Well when your upstream is getting pushed near max, without anything to help prevent that. With cable internet, your latency, and such, will get destroyed. So if you're someone who uses latency depended apps, or play games. Having a proper working QoS to limit things is important. Cable internet overall, latency is greatly affected, when pushing near the max limit's you pay for. This is a bit different for the one's who have fiber up to, or into their homes.

Cable internet overall, latency is greatly affected, when pushing near the max limit's you pay for. This is a bit different for the one's who have fiber to up to, or into their homes.
I respect your understanding. For games, I even understand. But even with QoS will depend on the cloud hosting the game. Then your router will start to stay on screws without knowing what to do. But then it's an understanding of each one. Old dragon technologies. Anyway, it's not the focus of this topic. Let's move on.

Well when your upstream is getting pushed near max, without anything to help prevent that. With cable internet, your latency, and such, will get destroyed. So if you're someone who uses latency depended apps, or play games. Having a proper working QoS to limit things is important. Cable internet overall, latency is greatly affected, when pushing near the max limit's you pay for. This is a bit different for the one's who have fiber up to, or into their homes.

you dont need Qos for fiber

I’m on 100/40 fibre, & the need for Qos hasn’t arisen so far.

& I another thing.....
I was using the wpa3 beta on Ax88u, but too many one off, strange, ‘fails’, so reverted to the current beta 3.
Whether my issues were client (Apple) based, or router based, dunno.

Beta 3 ‘just works’!

Your connection speeds matters as well as what the users are doing.

on 1Gbps fiber connection there really is no need for QOS.

On cable you may need it due to much lower upload speeds, and as someone else pointed out, once you saturate your upstream on cable it starts to affect your downloads speed and latency.

Then there are the users and what they are doing on the connection.

If you have someone running torrents full bore on the network and no QOS on it will tank your connection.

If you are the only heavy user in the household and everyone else is light to regular users you should be ok with it off as long as your not the one doing stuff to slow down the network.

If your network is comprised of mostly gamers and your not on a 1Gbps fiber connection you should be using QOS.

Your connection speeds matters as well as what the users are doing.

on 1Gbps fiber connection there really is no need for QOS.

On cable you may need it due to much lower upload speeds, and as someone else pointed out, once you saturate your upstream on cable it starts to affect your downloads speed and latency.

Then there are the users and what they are doing on the connection.

If you have someone running torrents full bore on the network and no QOS on it will tank your connection.

If you are the only heavy user in the household and everyone else is light to regular users you should be ok with it off as long as your not the one doing stuff to slow down the network.

If your network is comprised of mostly gamers and your not on a 1Gbps fiber connection you should be using QOS.

but you cant controll bufferbloat on a fiber connection

but you cant controll bufferbloat on a fiber connection

I've been on fiber since March and trust me that isn't an issue.

The majority of those issues that affect DSL/Cable are not a problem on FTTH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!