What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.16 beta (and 384.13_5) are available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think there were any significant changes between beta1 and beta2 related to dhcp. One thing I did not long ago out of curiosity was to create an empty /jffs/scripts/dhcpc-event file so that my syslog will log normal WAN dhcp events just so I could understand when the dhcp lease was being renewed. It sounds to me that your lease is not being renewed at the halfway point (5 mins), but is expiring and being bound again after 10 mins. I'm no DHCP expert though.
Code:
Mar 16 00:43:18 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/dhcpc-event (args: renew)
Mar 16 11:33:03 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/dhcpc-event (args: deconfig)
Mar 16 11:33:04 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/dhcpc-event (args: deconfig)
Mar 16 11:33:04 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/dhcpc-event (args: bound)
Mar 16 11:34:13 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/dhcpc-event (args: deconfig)
Mar 16 11:34:14 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/dhcpc-event (args: deconfig)
Mar 16 11:34:14 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/dhcpc-event (args: bound)
Mar 17 08:02:32 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/dhcpc-event (args: deconfig)
Mar 17 08:02:33 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/dhcpc-event (args: deconfig)
Mar 17 08:02:36 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/dhcpc-event (args: bound)
Mar 17 08:02:52 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/dhcpc-event (args: renew)
Mar 17 08:03:18 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/dhcpc-event (args: deconfig)
Mar 17 08:03:19 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/dhcpc-event (args: bound)
Mar 18 11:33:37 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/dhcpc-event (args: renew)
Mar 20 06:38:28 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/dhcpc-event (args: renew)
Mar 22 06:38:28 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/dhcpc-event (args: renew)
Mar 24 06:38:28 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/dhcpc-event (args: renew)
Mar 25 13:02:23 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/dhcpc-event (args: deconfig)
Mar 25 13:02:24 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/dhcpc-event (args: deconfig)
Mar 25 13:02:25 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/dhcpc-event (args: bound)
Mar 25 13:06:17 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/dhcpc-event (args: deconfig)
Mar 25 13:06:18 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/dhcpc-event (args: deconfig)
Mar 25 13:06:18 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/dhcpc-event (args: bound)
Mar 25 13:06:43 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/dhcpc-event (args: deconfig)
Mar 25 13:06:44 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/dhcpc-event (args: deconfig)
Mar 25 13:06:44 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/dhcpc-event (args: bound)

thanks for the tip on the dhcpc-event script. This seems to be related to my qos setup. I had adaptive qos on, manual bandwidth set at 95%, and fq_codel selected for queue discipline. Categories ordered by video streaming, web surfing, voip/instant messaging, others, file transferring, and gaming. Under this config, wan dhcp lease was expiring at the end of its 10 minute lease and renewing (seeing deconfig and bound). With QOS disabled, i now only show renew requests at the expected midway point of the lease (in my case every 5 minutes). And skynet is not restarting. QOS isn't a huge deal breaker for me, i only typically see bufferbloat on uploads due to nest cameras. But any ideas why a qos config would cause issues renewing wan ip?

@RMerlin any ideas?

Last edited:
Code:
git checkout mainline
git pull
The script doesn't support my router, so it's pointless...

Thanks for your answer!
Git checkout mainline gives me "did not match any files known to git"

Edit - as I said earlier, I'm totally noob and I downloaded the wrong repo. Missing .ng on the end :)
My VM doesn't accept copy paste from host (Vmware player 15), don't know why, and I have installed advanced keyboard.
So I'm writing everything by hand...

Last edited:
Just noticed with Beta2 that my Epson Artisan 837 printer which is connected via the 2.4GHz band (scan/print all working great), it's IP address & name never shows at all on the RT-AX88U "Network View - Clients list" when the printer busy working or idle. It used to show on the Clients list, but not sure when in say last 3-4months of merlin code changes that changed. All other devices (23) appear to be present.

Disable led's and re-enable them leaves Lan led's (1-4) off.

Bug in setLANLedOn() which is closed source, and outside of my control. Will have to be fixed by Asus.

- Administration -> System page doesn't apply changes; Router Login Name shows "This account already exists. Please enter a different name."

Disable autofill in your browser.

RT-AC86U isn't supported via debian-build-image
Also, with everything manually configured to .ng, it always gives error 2. Can't do it :)
I managed to compile it for RT-AC86U and it's working.
Can't see any improvement on wifi, but haven't tested much yet.

For those who want (it includes latest commits in master plus wifi commit in mainline): https://we.tl/t-nMvG93ZRSg

Well done - would you mind explaining how your managed to do it after your earlier post suggested it was not possible?

Well done - would you mind explaining how your managed to do it after your earlier post suggested it was not possible?
Missing some symlinks commands from toolschain repo!
After run them, everything went fine

I managed to compile it for RT-AC86U and it's working.
Can't see any improvement on wifi, but haven't tested much yet.

For those who want (it includes latest commits in master plus wifi commit in mainline): https://we.tl/t-nMvG93ZRSg

Which Wifi commit are we talking about? this one? https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng/commit/80c3c9e57c41ae4cb66e2e2410277488e29b186c

BTW, I compiled a build yesterday and couldn't understand why my devices could no longer connect to 5Ghz , I changed the channel to 48 from 44 and all my devices connected back to 5Ghz. working good

Which Wifi commit are we talking about? this one? https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng/commit/80c3c9e57c41ae4cb66e2e2410277488e29b186c

BTW, I compiled a build yesterday and couldn't understand why my devices could no longer connect to 5Ghz , I changed the channel to 48 from 44 and all my devices connected back to 5Ghz. working good
Yes that one!
One question, is it possible to check via Gui or ssh if I'm using the latest wifi driver? Just to make sure ..

No problems here at all, using 5ghz on auto channel

On topic:
Uptime: 5 days 1 hour(s) 57 minute(s) 4 seconds with 384.16_beta2 on RT AC-68U, everything working fine.

Off topic:
You cant copy/paste from windows to ubuntu :) . [...]
This statement is false.

[...]My VM doesn't accept copy paste from host (Vmware player 15), don't know why, and I have installed advanced keyboard.[...]
For Windows and macOS guests, VMware Player prompts you need to install tools for host to guest communication in the bottom part of the virtual machine window:
upload_2020-3-28_13-6-41.png

For Linux guests, you need to install the open source version, packages open-vm-tools and open-vm-tools-desktop (execute the following in a terminal window: sudo apt update && sudo apt install open-vm-tools open-vm-tools-desktop). You might need to reboot the virtual machine if the tools don't work after installation.

Alternatively, you can connect to your virtual machine using a ssh program from your host OS, like putty (just as you connect to your router), and do your work that way.

It's interesting that in this Merlin firmware it says IGMP is not supported for IPTV on RT-AX58U due to hardware limitations, however in official ASUS firmware, it doesn't say anything. Is this like a Merlin specific thing or it's just not supported yet with Merlin, but will be as it adopts newer ASUS firmwares?

On topic:
Uptime: 5 days 1 hour(s) 57 minute(s) 4 seconds with 384.16_beta2 on RT AC-68U, everything working fine.

Off topic:

This statement is false.

For Windows and macOS guests, VMware Player prompts you need to install tools for host to guest communication in the bottom part of the virtual machine window:
View attachment 22231

For Linux guests, you need to install the open source version, packages open-vm-tools and open-vm-tools-desktop (execute the following in a terminal window: sudo apt update && sudo apt install open-vm-tools open-vm-tools-desktop). You might need to reboot the virtual machine if the tools don't work after installation.

Alternatively, you can connect to your virtual machine using a ssh program from your host OS, like putty (just as you connect to your router), and do your work that way.
Yep, I managed to put it working by *buying vmware pro....
VM player is much limited...

@RejZoR you own a crude model, in the next half a year it’s silly to count on correct work even of factory firmware )))

this is Asus
"connecting people"

)))

Yes that one!
One question, is it possible to check via Gui or ssh if I'm using the latest wifi driver? Just to make sure ..

No problems here at all, using 5ghz on auto channel

Ummm.. Dude... Don't, just don't... Do not use auto channel.. it is the root of all evil and notworkingness of the 5GHz network... Try wifi radar, check least crowder channels (preferably in the <100 range) and select it manually.

Yep, I managed to put it working by *buying vmware pro....
VM player is much limited...

Could've tried Virtualbox, WSL or the docker build container...

Yesterday I loaded beta_2 on my second router. The first one is running fine since last Sunday without any issues and so did the second router until last evening. When I got up this morning there was no internet access. Upon closer inspection it seemed like the router loaded it's default configuration, at least that's what I saw when looking for the routers SSID. Sure enough, when trying to access the UI it brought me right into the initial Asus Router Setup screen. I have absolutely no explanation of what could have caused the router to do an internal reset? There was no power outage or spike since I have it connected to a UPS. There was no one in the room that could have physically pressed the reset button. This just boggles my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!