What's new

block internet access from webUI?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

naper82

Occasional Visitor
From the asus router iOS app, in devices list, I can click a device and block internet access. It is very convenient when needed.

1) In the webui, I can still see there is still tx/rx for that device, so the blocking from app is not working?
2) Is there such quick way in webUI (not MAC filter)? upon search, it says just click the icon on the device in the client list https://superuser.com/questions/139...cessint-internet-through-asus-rt-ac68u-router, but it is not working for me. Merlin 384.17

1) Blocking a device from accessing the internet does not disconnect from your local network so it will still have tx and rx numbers. It also doesn't stop it communicating with the router or your LAN (unless it's a guest network).

Don't use Asus app. It poses significant security risk.

Don't use Asus app. It poses significant security risk.

Could you explain more details specifically what kind of risks? I only use app rarely when at home since I don't expose webui to external.

And most of time I am using webui, just for this blocking feature I found it is so convenient in app but yet to find an easy way in webui.

Thanks.

Could you explain more details specifically what kind of risks? I only use app rarely when at home since I don't expose webui to external.

And most of time I am using webui, just for this blocking feature I found it is so convenient in app but yet to find an easy way in webui.

Thanks.
There were several cases described here in the forum. You may wish to search the forum regarding Asus app. One example is that the app enables WAN access without user's consent. I don't know if this particular behavior has been fixed or not, but it is just an example how the app introduces new risks. You know how difficult is to gain trust and how easy is to loose it ;)

There were several cases described here in the forum. You may wish to search the forum regarding Asus app. One example is that the app enables WAN access without user's consent. I don't know if this particular behavior has been fixed or not, but it is just an example how the app introduces new risks. You know how difficult is to gain trust and how easy is to loose it ;)

Yes this is risk one. It is probably fixed... I did remember it pops up and ask for permission, which I declined.

Also with the touch interface, it's too easy for anyone to rub things the wrong way.

OE

And the fact they will have full access to your data (required access to install the app!) and never be held responsible either. :rolleyes:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!