What's new

CakeQOS CakeQoS-Merlin v2.0.0 alpha

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh boy - wouldn't this be sweet. I second, third and fourth this!
Cake charts to be selected as a viewing option in spdMerlin, perhaps?

I would like it more if it was under the normal QoS tab with a option to toggle advanced settings.

I would like it more if it was under the normal QoS tab with a option to toggle advanced settings.

Pretty sure RMerlin isn't interested in doing this. He wants to keep it simple, and I don't blame him. For the more advanced users, they can install this, and add the settings they want. I appreciate the guys getting this done. As it's much easier to modify settings now. It's only a matter of installing, and clicking on another tab. Not much work to change things. Overall awesome work guys!

As it's much easier to modify settings now.

And this is/was the goal. Sorry @lilstone87 - when you were going through your stress, I did know where we were at with the mod, but was subtlety suggesting for patience at the time. A few days later hopefully you are smiling now.

Trust me withOUT @dave14305 input, you would be dealing with an updated CLI GUI vs. the awesomeness in the alpha. I am hoping most/all advanced cake users will be appreciative.

Cheers and happy testing!

Last edited:
And this is/was the goal. Sorry @lilstone87 - when you were going through your stress, I did know where we were at with the mod, but was subtlety suggesting for patience at the time. A few days later hopefully you are smiling now.

It's all good, and I appreciate all the work you guys have been doing. I figured you guys didn't get into what I was asking more, as you were working on this, and I wouldn't need the other way soon. With that, I do appreciate the one user helping me to be able to modify the settings the other way. It's nice to learn things, even if I don't need it now, with this in place.

Now I can swap settings around, to see if my online gaming is running okay. I'm also keeping an eye on RMerlin's current test he's running with cake. I rather not dip my toes into that right now, but I'm for sure watching that thread, and seeing what everyone is saying. I always look forward to things that are new, or could help improve things even more. Which over the last 6+ months, between Cake, and Flex, using QoS has been good for asus routers. As I said before, all of you guys are awesome, and the work you guys have put in, is greatly appreciated by a lot of us!

Do you think it would be better to automatically include the default ULOPTIONS and DLOPTIONS into the cake-qos.add file, and then just append the ones that have been applied from the GUI? (ie. ULOPTIONS="$ULOPTIONS <moreoptions")

Also (and I know I keep harping on about this), has anyone done any experimentation to get DSCP marking applied to the download queue?
I'll admit that while I can more or less make out what is happening in the OpenWRT implementation, I am struggling to find the energy to work out how it would be adapted to the Merlin firmware.

Having functional DSCP marking would pretty much perfect this QoS. With dual-dsthost enabled, a single host with many tcp sessions (like when torrenting) is prevented from hogging all the bandwidth, but if you are actually using that host, the torrent will still hog that host's bandwidth. If the the torrents and other such hogs could be relegated to the bulk tin, then that host will see a vast improvement in all other traffic types. It basically fixes the last remaining flaw in AsusWRT cake! (well aside from the lack of CPU puff and/or hardware acceleration, but not much to be done about that!)

I don't think that many rules would be required. Just some to identify the common bulk types, and then add high priority tags to common VOIP and connection control types. The rest can just go to besteffort I reckon, as cake seems to just do the right thing with most other traffic (even gaming).

Nice job on the script in any case, this works a treat so far!

Do you think it would be better to automatically include the default ULOPTIONS and DLOPTIONS into the cake-qos.add file, and then just append the ones that have been applied from the GUI? (ie. ULOPTIONS="$ULOPTIONS <moreoptions")
No, because as soon as a user customizes them in our GUI, they become detached from the firmware defaults. The same fields are always written to the config though, so I don’t believe it’s an issue. Do you see something different happening?
Also (and I know I keep harping on about this), has anyone done any experimentation to get DSCP marking applied to the download queue?
I'll admit that while I can more or less make out what is happening in the OpenWRT implementation, I am struggling to find the energy to work out how it would be adapted to the Merlin firmware.
This was in the works, but cut out of the initial release due to the pressing need for basic customizations. But it will completely depend on moving Cake from ifb4eth0 to br0 (which was also in the works). It makes iptables much easier than skbedit. Miles to go...

Big plans include supporting iptables rules much like FlexQoS, using DSCP and Tins instead of Marks and Classes. Also I hope to be able to add support for ipsets populated from dnsmasq to put this on par with OpenWRT Ultimate SQM ...script. Light-years to go...

Last edited:
I see (Read Only) in the screenshot in the first post behind Bandwidth. Does that mean it does or does not work with AutoBW in spdMerlin?

I see (Read Only) in the screenshot in the first post behind Bandwidth. Does that mean it does or does not work with AutoBW in spdMerlin?
It only means that the proper place to change the bandwidth is on the main QoS page. It is in display-only mode on CakeQoS page. But AutoBW/spdMerlin will work fine.

Overhead was easy to duplicate on our page because it isn’t part of Asus’ own code (Merlin added it).

Seems to work well, squeezed out 3x A+ in dslreport by changing ingress and egress both to besteffort and enabled ack-filter for uploads.
Just getting this error in the log:
Mar 19 13:58:12 CakeQOS-Merlin: Configuring Cake options...
Mar 19 13:58:12 lldpd[1020]: removal request for address of fe80::c75:55ff:fef4, but no knowledge of it

What does that mean?

So I do see that the ingress keyword gets dropped because, well, I forgot about it. So your idea may be the right approach. I’ll have to review the code again.
Just getting this error in the log:
Mar 19 13:58:12 CakeQOS-Merlin: Configuring Cake options...
Mar 19 13:58:12 lldpd[1020]: removal request for address of fe80::c75:55ff:fef4, but no knowledge of it

What does that mean?
It’s part of removing the ifb4eth0 device during QoS restart. Not a problem.
The only thing missing is the option that allows changing to a different interface for download or upload (wan, lan, br0, etc)
The code is there but hidden because it was too complicated for the initial release, based on the complexity discussed in the other thread. And I wanted to wait for beta2. Who are you at OpenWRT.org? :)

This looks amazing. I would like to clarify a few things, though.

• We do not need cake-qos installed to use this script; it is based on Cake built into 386.2 Beta 1?
  • This replaces and adds additional features to, @dave14305 's example.
  • We can not perform RMerlin's Cake Test because this will overwrite his suggestions?
Am I understanding everything correctly?

If you were running the 1.0.8 script, you need to stop cake-qos first in case of a conflict with ifb9eth0 and the firmware ifb4eth0
Thanks for this great work @ttgapers , @dave14305 and others too I suspect.

I have cake-qos stopped and merlin cake working fine on 386.2. At this point I'm thinking I should uninstall cake-qos from my setup.

Is it safe to uninstall the original cake-qos script with merlin cake running/enabled?

It looks very nice! (FlexCake! :cool:)

One question: does this replace the now built-in cake? Or is more like a way to configure the built-in cake with more options?

On previous cake threads I saw a good amount of discussion around adjusting rtt values, and indeed, I have been fiddling with mine. Any chance of adding that configuration here?

Thanks to everyone who has contributed over the years to get us to this point!

so, this v2 would be native on 386.2 final?
It’s still an Add-on that only requires the script and the firmware. No extra packages.
This looks amazing. I would like to clarify a few things, though.

• We do not need cake-qos installed to use this script; it is based on Cake built into 386.2 Beta 1?
  • This replaces and adds additional features to, @dave14305 's example.
  • We can not perform RMerlin's Cake Test because this will overwrite his suggestions?
Am I understanding everything correctly?
The 1.0.x version should be uninstalled. We may add an uninstall of the old packages when we get to the beta phase.

This will hopefully be the only place necessary to make custom changes. It overwrites the add file.

We’ll figure out how to switch download interfaces once beta2 drops.
One question: does this replace the now built-in cake? Or is more like a way to configure the built-in cake with more options?
The latter.
On previous cake threads I saw a good amount of discussion around adjusting rtt values, and indeed, I have been fiddling with mine. Any chance of adding that configuration here?
You can add those less common options in the Custom text box.

All of you know what you are doing yet it will be fascinating to see how many totally mess them selves up with a few simple options.

I'm curious to see if any of you get any benefit using the ack filters.

Morris

Looking good. v1 version of cake-qos uninstalled and now v2 installed no problem.

There are a couple of strange log entries when I apply any changes - see bold lines below. The changes do stick both in the .add file and when i output cake-qos status.

Anything i can do to help test/resolve, please just let me know.

Mar 20 13:48:07 rc_service: httpd 1184:notify_rc restart_qos;restart_firewall
Mar 20 13:48:07 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: restart qos)
Mar 20 13:48:07 CakeQOS-Merlin: Configuring Cake options...
Mar 20 13:48:07 kernel: Archer TCP Pure ACK Enabled
Mar 20 13:48:07 kernel: ^[[0;33;41m[ERROR archer] sysport_tm_command,1224: Feature Unavailable^[[0m
Mar 20 13:48:07 custom_config: Appending content of /jffs/configs/cake-qos.conf.add.
Mar 20 13:48:08 custom_script: Found service-event-end, but script is not set executable!
Mar 20 13:48:08 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: restart firewall)
Mar 20 13:48:08 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/nat-start
Mar 20 13:48:08 custom_script: Found service-event-end, but script is not set executable!

Status
Not open for further replies.