What's new

CakeQOS CakeQoS-Merlin v2.0.0 alpha

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is with great pleasure I can announce a couple items:
  • We have an Alpha candidate for testing against the latest beta @RMerlin 386.2 firmware
  • I/we are very happy to welcome @dave14305 onboard the Cake bandwagon. He has done all of the updates to the alpha script.
  • We were early testers of the 386.2 firmware from @RMerlin and was a sudden but pleasant surprise to hear that there is/was a possibility of Cake getting into the main firmware builds. As past users of Cake knew, getting builds was a challenge for the team.
  • I am still learning as we go along from the more experienced ones around here. I owe you all immense thanks!
Thanks for all those who assisted before. Now for the stuff you have been chomping at the bit for:

Note: This is ALPHA
  • Currently supports ASUS HND models running Merlin firmware (386.2 and above)
  • Preliminary support for firmware detection to allow for 384 installs to the read-only branch (which includes previous Cake Entware installs)
  • Added GUI interface to 386.2 installs for ease of customizations (thanks @dave14305)
  • Cake CLI updates to support changes
  • Add-on now adds/edits/updates the /jffs/configs/cake-qos.conf.add file
Hope you enjoy the latest Cake enhancements and HUGE thanks once again to @dave14305 & @RMerlin for making this happen!

Install:
Code:
mkdir -p /jffs/addons/cake-qos && /usr/sbin/curl -s "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ttgapers/cakeqos-merlin/alpha/cake-qos.sh" -o "/jffs/addons/cake-qos/cake-qos" && chmod 755 /jffs/addons/cake-qos/cake-qos && sh /jffs/addons/cake-qos/cake-qos install

Github: https://github.com/ttgapers/cakeqos-merlin/tree/alpha

Screenshot
View attachment 32185

There is an update to the Alpha branch that now incorporates Cake stats (not graphs) from the new tc JSON output. All tables in the webui are now collapsible (courtesy of @Jack Yaz). Status and Statistics can be refreshed on-demand through the Refresh Status button.

Current status of Cake qdisc settings:
1617577389286.png

Download stats using besteffort:
1617577440940.png

Upload stats using diffserv3:
1617577485545.png

Update through the webui or through the CLI with cake-qos update

The update worked fine, but I got the following error:
Code:
/opt/bin/cake-qos: line 546: can't create /jffs/scripts//jffs/scripts/service-event: nonexistent directory chmod: /jffs/scripts//jffs/scripts/service-event: No such file or directory
/opt/bin/cake-qos: line 546: can't create /jffs/scripts//jffs/scripts/service-event-end: nonexistent directory chmod: /jffs/scripts//jffs/scripts/service-event-end: No such file or directory
/opt/bin/cake-qos: line 546: can't create /jffs/scripts//jffs/scripts/services-start: nonexistent directory chmod: /jffs/scripts//jffs/scripts/services-start: No such file or directory
CakeQOS-Merlin: Customize Cake in the WebUI under Adaptive QoS / CakeQOS-Merlin
Restarting QoS...
Done.

There is an update to the Alpha branch that now incorporates Cake stats (not graphs) from the new tc JSON output. All tables in the webui are now collapsible (courtesy of @Jack Yaz). Status and Statistics can be refreshed on-demand through the Refresh Status button.

Current status of Cake qdisc settings:
View attachment 32797

Download stats using besteffort:
View attachment 32798

Upload stats using diffserv3:
View attachment 32799

Update through the webui or through the CLI with cake-qos update
I am keen to join the party and add some charty goodness, but I want to finish updating and standardisation in my current scripts before I take on anything new.

The update worked fine, but I got the following error:
Code:
/opt/bin/cake-qos: line 546: can't create /jffs/scripts//jffs/scripts/service-event: nonexistent directory chmod: /jffs/scripts//jffs/scripts/service-event: No such file or directory
/opt/bin/cake-qos: line 546: can't create /jffs/scripts//jffs/scripts/service-event-end: nonexistent directory chmod: /jffs/scripts//jffs/scripts/service-event-end: No such file or directory
/opt/bin/cake-qos: line 546: can't create /jffs/scripts//jffs/scripts/services-start: nonexistent directory chmod: /jffs/scripts//jffs/scripts/services-start: No such file or directory
Restarting QoS...
Done.
Thanks for that feedback. Just fixed now. Wait a few minutes and update again. If the WebUI update doesn't work, use the CLI command.

Did someone say 'charts'?

drooling-face_1f924.png

@ttgapers & @dave14305, I think I'm need of your assistance:

I re-installed CakeQoS 2.0.0.0 alpha after playing around with FlexQos for the last couple of days. I uninstalled CakeQoS prior to installing FlexQoS. Now I'm having some issues.

I uninstalled FlexQoS through amtm and rebooted my router. After rebooting I disabled the built-in QoS in the UI.
I installed CakeQoS v2.0.0.0 alpha using the link in the OP. This resulted in

Code:
CakeQOS-Merlin: Updated cake-qos.asp
Restarting QoS...
Done.

A few comments on the alpha: I was surprised to see it said 'Updated' instead of 'Installed' and second: QoS was, according to the UI still disabled.

It does seem to reconfigure QoS and 'restart' it, but I don't whether it's able to restart something that isn't running in the first place (at least not according to the UI). But maybe it's just graphical, I don't know whether the switch in the UI actually checks whether QoS is active.

Code:
Apr  5 10:00:28 RT-AC86U rc_service: service 17333:notify_rc restart_qos
Apr  5 10:00:28 RT-AC86U CakeQOS-Merlin: Configuring Cake options...

How to proceed from here? I enabled QoS in the UI

Code:
Apr  5 10:12:43 RT-AC86U rc_service: cfg_server 2352:notify_rc restart_qos;restart_firewall;
Apr  5 10:12:43 RT-AC86U CakeQOS-Merlin: Configuring Cake options...
Apr  5 10:13:11 RT-AC86U kernel: htb: htb qdisc 14: is non-work-conserving?

but when checking the CakeQos-Merlin Alpha v2.0.0.0 tab
it says: Note: Cake QoS is not enabled.

Also the default options which where set in the previous (first?) version are gone now:

Screenshot_2021-04-05 ASUS Wireless Router RT-AC86U - CakeQoS 2.png

I don't know how to proceed from here. Can you guide me through what I should do next?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Marco

You say you have enabled QoS in the WebUI, but did you also select the "cake" "QoS Type"? (As opposed to "Adaptive QoS", "Traditional QoS" and "Bandwidth Limiter")
Thanks, that did the trick. I'll just crawl back under my rock now.

Probably a silly question but can this implementation function on 386.1 via the command line for someone like myself who has client connectivity issues when migrating to 386.2?
ax86u 386.1_2

The multiple threads on Cake has become confusing to me.

Thank you

Probably a silly question but can this implementation function on 386.1 via the command line for someone like myself who has client connectivity issues when migrating to 386.2?
ax86u 386.1_2

Thank you

Hi,

No worries. This is the Alpha thread (for 386.2 and above that has Cake built into the firmware).

For 386.1_2, please continue using the PROD release at:

Code:
mkdir -p /jffs/addons/cake-qos && /usr/sbin/curl -s "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ttgapers/cakeqos-merlin/master/cake-qos.sh" -o "/jffs/addons/cake-qos/cake-qos" && chmod 755 /jffs/addons/cake-qos/cake-qos && sh /jffs/addons/cake-qos/cake-qos install

This has not changed at all since release and is listed on the first post in the 1.0.8 thread here.

Hope that helps!

Ok Folks,

Hoping to get the last round of Alpha Testing prior to pushing this to Develop. We are getting closer to supporting all scenarios in the current alpha. We need testing, testing testing.

Couple updates as some might have noticed:
  • Add logic in case Cake is not enabled in firmware
  • Add uninstall of CakeQOS-Merlin 1.0 components during install
  • Cleanup legacy files from 2.0 branch
  • Handle installs for users still on 386.1 or lower
  • Remove old cfg file on install
  • Updated README
Particularly for the users who are not on 386.2, we would like some brave souls to do some testing. This is to ensure we can manage all scenarios with the single script -- but multiple branches. Thus, don't worry rollbacks are simple enough.

Once tested and handles well, it will be promoted to develop, and then hopefully make its way to prod...

Sample of what the legacy bits removal should look like:
Code:
CakeQOS-Merlin: Removing old CakeQOS-Merlin 1.0 packages and modifications
Removing package sched-cake-oot from root...
Removing package tc-adv from root...
CakeQOS-Merlin: Installing CakeQOS-Merlin 2.0.0...
Restarting QoS...
Done.

Alpha Install (all supported HW/firmware):
Code:
mkdir -p /jffs/addons/cake-qos && /usr/sbin/curl -s "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ttgapers/cakeqos-merlin/alpha/cake-qos.sh" -o "/jffs/addons/cake-qos/cake-qos" && chmod 755 /jffs/addons/cake-qos/cake-qos && sh /jffs/addons/cake-qos/cake-qos install

In case of any issues/rollback:
Current Release for non 386.2 firmware:
Code:
mkdir -p /jffs/addons/cake-qos && /usr/sbin/curl -s "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ttgapers/cakeqos-merlin/master/cake-qos.sh" -o "/jffs/addons/cake-qos/cake-qos" && chmod 755 /jffs/addons/cake-qos/cake-qos && sh /jffs/addons/cake-qos/cake-qos install

Thanks once more to the awesome @dave14305 for the updates/fixes. I'll update the first post to match.

Cheers!

ax86u 386.1_2

Thank you

Hoping you can test out the latest builds which attempt to bring all together into the alpha. Sorry it had to be a bit painful as we are slowly ripping the bandaid off the old binaries/firmware support where applicable, and hope to install the "legacy" cake components based on firmware/branch.

Thanks for your patience.

Thanks for the Statistics page. Now that we have it are there any stats we should keep an eye on for trouble? e.g. drops, hash indirect hits, etc.

Ideally I try to keep drops to a minimum - note minimum does not necessarily mean zero :)

Hoping you can test out the latest builds which attempt to bring all together into the alpha. Sorry it had to be a bit painful as we are slowly ripping the bandaid off the old binaries/firmware support where applicable, and hope to install the "legacy" cake components based on firmware/branch.

Thanks for your patience.
I surely will. Will test and report back in a day or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.