What's new

CakeQOS CakeQoS-Merlin v2.1.1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

the current implementation can't do that, it's just as simple as that.
Brother, the Cake patch does not exist in the firmware and can't exist. It can never work with the current firmware confirmed over on Cake GitHub. Case closed as you were!

Incorrect, 2) can actually be circumvented anyway in Asus Merlin by modifying how and where cake is applied using something like the approach I set out here:

Where there is a will, there is a way. But I am going to bow out of this now.

Last edited:
Incorrect, 2) can actually be circumvented anyway in Asus Merlin by modifying how and where cake is applied using something like the approach I set out here:

Where there is a will, there is a way. But I am going to bow out of this now.
You didn't mention this until this late!?

With this script what does DL/UL speed need to be set to? 95% of the actual values or both the same as download?

Any special requirements for DL/ULOPTIONS? I still had them set previously with the nonat flows attempting to get the nonexistent WireGuard patch to work.

Uninstalling cake-qos ends up with this:
qdisc cake 800e: dev br0 root refcnt 2 bandwidth 116736Kbit besteffort dual-dsthost nonat wash ingress no-ack-filter split-gso rtt 100ms noatm overhead 80
qdisc cake 800d: dev wgc1 root refcnt 2 bandwidth 19456Kbit diffserv3 dual-srchost nat nowash no-ack-filter split-gso rtt 100ms noatm overhead 80

Last edited:
@dave14305 I've just seen a post from last year saying you're using qosify now, is that still the case? Is that usable on Merlin?

Last edited:
@dave14305 I've just seen a post from last year saying you're using qosify now, is that still the case? Is that usable on Merlin?
No, I’m running OPNsense on x86 now, only using OpenWrt for my standalone AP.

Qosify was written for modern supported kernels, not the older 4.x kernels that Broadcom locks their hardware to.

But I gave up on Qosify because it was a bit primitive (in its customization) for the traffic I wanted to prioritize/deprioritize.

@rlj2 just updated his GitHub fork of cake-autorate here:

This should help Asus Merlin users who want to use cake on connections with a variable bandwidth.
It would be great if there was any possibility this could be run without needing a USB drive, I use the USB port to power a Ubiquiti USW-Flex

It would certainly be possible, but I don't understand Asus Merlin well enough anymore to know how.

It would certainly be possible, but I don't understand Asus Merlin well enough anymore to know how.

Depending on your router and the other plug in apps, you might be able to go without a swap file. It depends on available RAM. This app does not use a lot of RAM

It would be great if there was any possibility this could be run without needing a USB drive, I use the USB port to power a Ubiquiti USW-Flex
The most obvious problem is the dependency on a bash interpreter. That requires the installation of Entware, all of which is unlikely to fit comfortably within the router's limited internal storage.

The most obvious problem is the dependency on a bash interpreter. That requires the installation of Entware, all of which is unlikely to fit comfortably within the router's limited internal storage.

I don't have a USB stick or swap enabled, run the cake plug in and have 56% RAM used. It's not an issue for me.

I don't have a USB stick or swap enabled, run the cake plug in and have 56% RAM used. It's not an issue for me.
I don't know what you're referring to. My post was in reply Lynx's comment about the Asus-cake-autorate script on github.

I don't know what you're referring to. My post was in reply Lynx's comment about the Asus-cake-autorate script on github.

That's a different script. I still feel it's worth investigating.

DSL-ax82u, and I'm already using CakeQoS-Merlin v2.1.2, I was interested in testing the automatic change on traffic load from the autorotate script.

@Yakumo - do you have a variable rate connection? It's only worth using cake-autorate for variable connections like LTE or Starlink. For fixed bandwidth connections it will typically not provide benefit and configured wrongly would only hurt latency (save only perhaps for providing diagnostics or if properly configured helping cushion bad behaviour like temporarily reduced bandwidth). This is because cake-autorate is designed to track the capacity of a variable rate connection by testing out increases and monitoring for increased latency, but for fixed rate connections such testing is unnecessary and undesirable.

Last edited:
No, but that's why I said I was interested in what it could do on traffic load. I play UDP based games that are very sensitive to any jitter or any fluctuations and have found different settings give the most responsive play in different circumstances so I wanted to tinker with your script and see if it could be of any use to me still.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I got an 5g internet connection (100 mb down/10 mb up), and i got a C score for blufferboat test, using Adaptive QoS with FlexQos, would i improve my blufferboat if i used cakeos? Thanks

What is on your network and what are you trying to improve?

9, 10 devices, Fire TV, Apple TV, MacBook Air, PS5...Improve my blufferboat test...
Why do you need to improve bufferbloat? What is not working? Your tiny upstream limit will have to be made smaller to do what you want in CAKE. Having a 5g cell link will mean all speeds vary depending on the cell load. This is not a good situation for CAKE as you will need to configure for the slowest it runs.

Why do you need to improve bufferbloat? What is not working? Your tiny upstream limit will have to be made smaller to do what you want in CAKE. Having a 5g cell link will mean all speeds vary depending on the cell load. This is not a good situation for CAKE as you will need to configure for the slowest it runs.
Also, latency is typically high as well.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!