What's new

CakeQOS CakeQoS-Merlin v2.1.1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks for your opinion, il post my Bookmarks and sources:

:rolleyes:

Hi guys!

Is there a "How To" for configuring CakeQoS?

I realize it's supposed to be easy as cake lol but there is always something in my experience that ends up required (and I miss). Also, I'm not sure what to pick for WAN Overhead Packet because I'm not sure what it is. Basically, they installed what looks like a small satellite dish on my roof and I get internet via that thing. My speed is 80 down and 20 up and if I understood properly, I should benefit noticeably from using CakeQoS.

My setup is Asus RT-AX88U (main) and Asus RT-AC5300 (AiMesh Node).

Thanks so much in advance.

PS. Will CakeQoS take advantage of HW acceleration on my AX-88U?

Thank you so much for this.

Do you reckon that FlexQoS might be a better fit for my use?

Possibly and it depends. Give it a whirl. I actually am running FlexQoS currently to do some testing around HWA and upload/hosting 4K streaming content. Cake is/was balking on load, while FlexQoS appears to be allowing it nicely. The (re-)classification capabilities is quite awesome as well. Cake currently does Upload classification only while Flex does both up and down.

Cake is the keep it simple if all works then great, Flex is flex and provides the ability to customize a lot more and fancy graphs/stats also.

The other key is around Privacy where Cake does not require Trend Micro licensing/acknowledgement. Flex does require the TM stuff.

Cheers.

If you don't have a 250Mbps+ connection, I recommend using CakeQoS.
I've used FlexQoS before, and it's great if you have a 250Mbps+ connection and it can properly identify and categorize your apps. But that's Flex's flaw, it relies on Trend Micro, and if it doesn't identify your used apps properly they won't be given the proper category priority.
Cake is just WAY simpler in that it does it's best to balance your bandwidth between active clients.

The other key is around Privacy where Cake does not require Trend Micro licensing/acknowledgement. Flex does require the TM stuff.
Indeed, Flex is less private because you're sharing and relying on Trend Micro to inspect and identify all your connections/apps. As opposed to a simple Cake setup with just both best-effort (single tins, dual-dsthost, dual-srchost) where nothing is identified or shared externally. You can withdraw from Trend Micro approval stuff when using Cake.

But that's Flex's flaw, it relies on Trend Micro, and if it doesn't identify your used apps properly they won't be given the proper category priority.
Indeed, Flex is less private because you're sharing and relying on Trend Micro to inspect and identify all your connections/apps.
You could replace every occurrence of FlexQoS in your post and replace it with Adaptive QoS. There’s nothing specific to FlexQoS in your comparison.

The whole point of FlexQoS (and FreshJR before that) is to address some of the deficiencies in the Adaptive QoS stock behavior.

You could replace every occurrence of FlexQoS in your post and replace it with Adaptive QoS. There’s nothing specific to FlexQoS in your comparison.

The whole point of FlexQoS (and FreshJR before that) is to address some of the deficiencies in the Adaptive QoS stock behavior.

Agreed 1000% not something specific to Flex at all - and is due to Adaptive QoS.

Basically, they installed what looks like a small satellite dish on my roof and I get internet via that thing. My speed is 80 down and 20 up and if I understood properly, I should benefit noticeably from using CakeQoS.
Is it actually a "satellite dish", or is it a directional terrestrial antenna? ie. Does it point up into the sky, or does it point to a ground antenna somewhere?

If it is a satellite antenna and pointing at the sky, then you are unlikely to be able to easily fix any latency related lag.

@dave14305 Yeah. I only specified FlexQoS as it's the only alternative to CakeQoS in my mind. They all have strengths and weaknesses.

Basically, they installed what looks like a small satellite dish on my roof and I get internet via that thing. My speed is 80 down and 20 up and if I understood properly, I should benefit noticeably from using CakeQoS.

PS. Will CakeQoS take advantage of HW acceleration on my AX-88U?
Do you happen to live above 45 degrees North? did they call it Starlink or Dishy, your satellite dish? If that's what it is (Elon Musk's SpaceX StarLink), the base station probably already has a SQM/QoS scheme on it already - as the constellation of satellites gets established in orbit, expect those speeds to go up)

You probably won't notice much of a difference with HW acceleration on or off at those speeds because they're not really "pushing" the router, but CakeQoS will smooth your connection out very nicely without much config/maintenance/monitoring on your end.

Reactions: #TY
I see there’s a gaming category for the upload classification, but what tin does that put the traffic in? If I wanted to prioritize all upload traffic from a gaming system would I just assign a static ip to the system and add it to the list? What category would I use?

I did a lot of reading on CakeQoS and experimented with using diffserv4 for a bit (both D/U), just to see what was automatically put in the different tins. The answer: almost nothing. Less than ten packets were put in different tins besides the default tin (besteffort) which had millions. I concluded I don't know how to get diffserv working or it doesn't ever work automatically.

I see there’s a gaming category for the upload classification, but what tin does that put the traffic in? If I wanted to prioritize all upload traffic from a gaming system would I just assign a static ip to the system and add it to the list? What category would I use?
Basically. Really any category but Bulk. Actually, Voice (EF): https://www.snbforums.com/threads/cakeqos-merlin-v2-0-0.72711/page-3#post-691902
More about Cake and diffserv: https://www.man7.org/linux/man-pages/man8/tc-cake.8.html#PRIORITY_QUEUE_PARAMETERS

Last edited:
If you choose diffserv4, it will put Gaming (DSCP CS4) in Voice tin. diffserv3 would still result in Best Effort.
I did a lot of reading on CakeQoS and experimented with using diffserv4 for a bit (both D/U), just to see what was automatically put in the different tins. The answer: almost nothing. Less than ten packets were put in different tins besides the default tin (besteffort) which had millions. I concluded I don't know how to get diffserv working or it doesn't ever work automatically.
Tins only react to DSCP marks on packets, so if packets aren’t marked otherwise, they will end up in best effort.

If you choose diffserv4, it will put Gaming (DSCP CS4) in Voice tin. diffserv3 would still result in Best Effort.

Tins only react to DSCP marks on packets, so if packets aren’t marked otherwise, they will end up in best effort.
Thanks Dave. Any advantage to forcing it to voice in diffserv 3? I’ve tried reading up on some of the more technical aspects of cake but a lot of it is above my head. I believe the voice tin gets priority over the others on a saturated connection or am I mistaken with that?

@zackattack784 From my experience nothing gets tin'd unless you tin/DSCP mark packets yourself. So any tin except Bulk (CS1) will get higher priority than default/best effort tin. Dave was clarifying that Gaming (CS4) exists in diffserv4 but not 3, and I suggested Voice (EF) for simplicity since it's in all diffserv#'s and priority.

Last edited:
Hello, I used FreshRJ QoS for a long time, I installed it using putty, I have an Asus RT-AC88U, I would like to know if Cake QoS would work for me and how I install it, excuse my ignorance.

Hello, I used FreshRJ QoS for a long time, I installed it using putty, I have an Asus RT-AC88U, I would like to know if Cake QoS would work for me and how I install it, excuse my ignorance.
Cake is not available for the older models like the RT-AC88U. AdaptiveQoS and FlexQoS would still work, however.

The three major video sources here, youtube, amazon prime video, and netflix aren't registering as video using diffserv4, is there an easy way to do that?