What's new

Can we get a setup guide for the new 384.11 DoT and NTP settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dvohwinkel

The changes are awesome!! I am in no way complaining, very exciting stuff being added in 384.11.. "but.." I am having a hard time following what needs to be set and where. I doubt I am the only one. There are places to enter DNS Servers all over the place, so which ones need to be set? Like under WAN DNS settings. There is a DNS Server 1 and 2. Are there supposed to be set if you are using DoT in the section below them?

A video on someone going thru the different menus and what and when to use setttings would be beyond awesome. I am not talking about going over every setting on every page.. one could make a hour video just on the wireless settings. I am talking about just a guide or video for everything that pertains to DoT, NTP, etc.. that is 384.11 related.

Reminds me that it is time to send a donation RMerlin's way.. really nice stuff in this Beta.

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/DNS-Privacy

It will only get linked to the Wiki index after 384.11 final is released.

In short, you don't need to change anything in the DNS fields. These should be left as they were before, just enable DNS Privacy, and add servers to the DNS-over-TLS list below.

what about the two ntp server addresses under Administration->Basic Config->NTP Server and Secondary NTP Server. Should both be filled in? I have it setup to have a local ntp server and also to redirect ntp requests to my local server.

The changes are awesome!! I am in no way complaining, very exciting stuff being added in 384.11.. "but.." I am having a hard time following what needs to be set and where. I doubt I am the only one. There are places to enter DNS Servers all over the place, so which ones need to be set? Like under WAN DNS settings. There is a DNS Server 1 and 2. Are there supposed to be set if you are using DoT in the section below them?

A video on someone going thru the different menus and what and when to use setttings would be beyond awesome. I am not talking about going over every setting on every page.. one could make a hour video just on the wireless settings. I am talking about just a guide or video for everything that pertains to DoT, NTP, etc.. that is 384.11 related.

Reminds me that it is time to send a donation RMerlin's way.. really nice stuff in this Beta.

paging @L&LD
we were discussing a "for dummies" -style guide, and now here's a suggestion (that I like very much) taking that up a notch or 3: a MerlinTV vlog on YouTube

Or maybe just create/update the wiki entries. After all, that's what it's there for.
phooey! a video can be easier to follow for a lot of people, and might increase adoption of our way of doing things...
it's also much easier to monetize with advertising sponsorship, whether it's YouTube or another option. But that's a whole other discussion...

what about the two ntp server addresses under Administration->Basic Config->NTP Server and Secondary NTP Server. Should both be filled in? I have it setup to have a local ntp server and also to redirect ntp requests to my local server.
Just leave them to their default values.

Sent from my ELE-L04 using Tapatalk

phooey! a video can be easier to follow for a lot of people, and might increase adoption of our way of doing things...
it's also much easier to monetize with advertising sponsorship, whether it's YouTube or another option. But that's a whole other discussion...
I already have a daytime job, I don't need a second one. ,[emoji3]

Sent from my ELE-L04 using Tapatalk

Aware of that, sir, and that this is a free-time volunteer donation to the world...but if making a video freed you up from supporting what you do so that you could focus on doing what you do, mightn’t that be the ideal, especially if it became self-sustaining? I’m thinking along the lines of Linus’ Tech Tips here...

Or maybe I should just shut up now.

You youngsters and your moving pictures, you'll want "talkies" next. What's wrong with getting out your fountain pen and writing RMerlin a nice letter?

But in all seriousness, IMHO the wiki should be the primary reference point for anything that isn't obvious. It's already hard enough finding the "current" way of doing things by trawling through the 1000's of posts in these forums, and that's before you include the numerous other out of date blogs/websites/videos on the wider internet.

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/DNS-Privacy

It will only get linked to the Wiki index after 384.11 final is released.

In short, you don't need to change anything in the DNS fields. These should be left as they were before, just enable DNS Privacy, and add servers to the DNS-over-TLS list below.

So is this going to replace Stubby???

If I were to do a clean install of the final build of 384.11 when it's released - I can leave out Stubby since this version has the option to basically do what Stubby had been doing?

Videos are a good waste of time when a few lines of text can be comprehended in under a minute.

The cost to produce, publish and create them is also exorbitant and their usability is very poor when actually trying to follow anything technical.

Add to that fact that videos on tech subjects quickly go "stale" : the technology moves on, changes, or is superceded, while the video remains accessible for years.....no thanks, that sounds far worse than a wiki that can be kept up to date.
+1 for the current way, thanks.

Last edited:

If I were to do a clean install of the final build of 384.11 when it's released - I can leave out Stubby since this version has the option to basically do what Stubby had been doing?
Yes.

Depends what you mean by "Stubby" - my implementation also uses Stubby, which is the name of the program that acts as a gateway between your network and the DoT DNS servers.

However it does replace the Stubby installer script that was previously published on these forums, yes.

And quite frankly, you don't need to hear yet another video with a non-native speaker mumbling English...

Thanks i'm lost on what settings to use as well