What's new

Can't connect to RT-AC88U after failed attempt to add as AiMesh node

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ronald Sutton

Occasional Visitor
I've had a backup RT-AC88U in my closet for some time and decided to try it out as an AiMesh node this weekend. I did a factory reset, then upgraded to ASUSwrt/Merlin 384.13. It booted fine after the upgrade, and I selected the AiMesh node option in Administration and it said if I continued it would reset to factory settings and reboot (which it did). I then logged into the RT-AC88U router I've been using for years and searched for the new node. It was found, I selected it and the node addition process began. It went all the way to 100%, then reported that the addition had failed because the new node was too far from the router. The router confirms that there are no AiMesh nodes connected, and the node doesn't show up in the client list.

So I moved the new node closer, plugged it in and held down reset button until the power light slowly flashed and repeated the process, but now the new node cannot be found. Worse yet, I can't plug the new node into my laptop via Ethernet and access the GUI. I tried setting the laptop's IP address to 192.168.1.2 in case the node isn't running a DHCP server, and ran nmap to see if it's at a different address. nmap gives me a hit at 192.168.1.49 but I still can't connect to the node's GUI to examine and/or change its configuration. My laptop reports that the media is connecting and disconnecting repeatedly. I've also tried plugging in an Ethernet cable from my router to see if it gets an address, with no success.

I've tried letting the new node boot normally, holding down the reset button as I reboot and holding down the reset button after booting. In both cases the power light flashes slowly but my router still can't find the node and I can't connect to the GUI.

Suggestions for how to recover my formerly functioning router will be deeply appreciated.

Last edited:
What’s the latest update? Flashing slowly probably isn’t ideal.

power off the router, hold wps button while powering on
wait till the power led start flash and then release the wps button
now, let it finish booting and it should be reset properly

SOLVED.

With Ethernet cable from laptop plugged into LAN port on the node, I powered the node up and let it boot completely then held down the reset button for a LONG time, at which point the power light began flashing. I manually set my laptop's address to 192.168.1.2 and entered 192.168.1.1 in a browser and a mini-GUI came up that offered 3 options: upload new firmware, reset NVRAM to defaults and reboot.

I reset NVRAM to defaults, then rebooted and again entered 192.168.1.1 in my browser and got the 'Set up new network' wizard. I used that to set up the former node as an access point and when I navigated to its new IP address I was relieved to see the ASUSwrt/Merlin GUI again.

SOLVED.

With Ethernet cable from laptop plugged into LAN port on the node, I powered the node up and let it boot completely then held down the reset button for a LONG time, at which point the power light began flashing. I manually set my laptop's address to 192.168.1.2 and entered 192.168.1.1 in a browser and a mini-GUI came up that offered 3 options: upload new firmware, reset NVRAM to defaults and reboot.

I reset NVRAM to defaults, then rebooted and again entered 192.168.1.1 in my browser and got the 'Set up new network' wizard. I used that to set up the former node as an access point and when I navigated to its new IP address I was relieved to see the ASUSwrt/Merlin GUI again.

I just went thru the same thing with a 3100 and 5300. I had both devices on the latest Merlin 384.13. I factory reset the 3100 before I tried to discovery the AI node from 5300. After it found the 3100, I tried to proceed with the wizard. It failed and I couldn't get back into the 3100 anymore. I tried that twice with no luck. I had to hold the WPS down while booting until the power light flashed and that would clear the NVRAM. I ended up flashing the normal asus stock firmware back onto the 3100. The AI discovery found the 3100 and successfully added the node first try. The 5300 is still running the Merlin 384.13. Been a couple weeks and haven't had any issues.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!