What's new

ChannelHog - Monitor And Force Maximum 5GHz Bandwidth

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Then, maybe a different problem. I can only select "Auto, 149, 153, 157, 161, 165" , anything else only has Auto as an option... I would think that it might be because of the AC5300's but I had the option before even with these same channels... Gonna have to play around a bit maybe some other setting screwed me up...
Ok if I set Wireless mode to Auto, then the 802.1ax option appears and its enabled, that's half the battle. Channel selection still limited, even though NVRAM shows them all, and in US...

Opened a ticket with @Adamm over on github for the message on my AX86U - tried with both 2_2 and 2_4:

[2] --> Check Channel Bandwidth
[1-6]: 2
wl: wl driver adapter not found
ChannelHog: [*] Channel Width Detected - Restarting 5GHz Radio

Press Enter To Continue...

The ticket was closed with a terse "Script works fine on the AX86U, try updating to the latest Merlin".

Ah, well, the old Adamm has truly left the building.

Last edited:
Opened a ticket with @Adamm over on github for the message on my AX86U - tried with both 2_2 and 2_4:

The ticket was closed with a terse "Script works fine on the AX86U, try updating to the latest Merlin".

Ah, well, the old Adamm has truly left the building.
Same response on my AX88U - it was working fine but now does nothing just reports 'wl: wl driver adapter not found'. Getting bounced from 160 to 80 is sporadic so I cannot tell exactly when this stopped working, but almost certainly well after updating to 2_4.

Update: Looking at my logs in more detail, Channelhog was installed on 12th April, and has run "ChannelHog: [*] Channel Width Detected - Restarting 5GHz Radio" everyday since then. However "wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(632): eth7: Radar detected" has only happened 3 times. Until recently the Router was showing 160 bandwidth every morning so it seems likely that the issue is with not detecting the bandwidth (this has been regularly reported as wrong even when it is not) and also with a failure to then reset the bandwidth.

Last edited:
From what I can see, Channelhog uses a variable $port5ghz to check status and then restart the 5Ghz channel if needed.

In order to set this variable the script runs
Code:
port5ghz="$(ifconfig | grep -F "$(nvram get wl1_hwaddr)" | awk '{print $1}}')"
and while I do not have the time to look at how this worked with 384 code, with 386 it returns two lines (and I think it can only work with one). e.g.
Code:
admin@RT-AX88U-5050:/tmp/home/root# ifconfig | grep -F "$(nvram get wl1_hwaddr)" | awk '{print $1}'
eth7
wds1.0.1

On my AX88U i have edited the channelhog.sh at line 24 changing the code to
Code:
port5ghz="$(ifconfig | grep -F "$(nvram get wl1_hwaddr)" | awk '{if (NR==1) {print $1}}')"
and now it outputs a single line
Code:
admin@RT-AX88U-5050:/tmp/home/root# ifconfig | grep -F "$(nvram get wl1_hwaddr)" | awk '{if (NR==1) {print $1}}'
eth7
and seems to be working as expected.

Last edited:
From what I can see, Channelhog uses a variable $port5ghz to check status and then restart the 5Ghz channel if needed.

On my AX88U i have edited the channelhog.sh at line 24 changing the code to
Code:
port5ghz="$(ifconfig | grep -F "$(nvram get wl1_hwaddr)" | awk '{if (NR==1) {print $1}}')"
and now it outputs a single line
Code:
admin@RT-AX88U-5050:/tmp/home/root# ifconfig | grep -F "$(nvram get wl1_hwaddr)" | awk '{if (NR==1) {print $1}}'
eth7
and seems to be working as expected.
Nice work. Hopefully @Adamm sees this and changes his responsiveness. Appreciate the follow-up!

He has been very busy lately.
So he replied in my update to the ticket. That would have been good information the first time. Good to hear that you're in contact with him. Please give him all our regards, the forum is lesser for his absence.

just installed again. this script is super useful for my setup since the router would occasionaly drop to 80MHz and stay there. thanks!

Last edited:
Does this script also work with GT-AX11000 (WIFI5-2)?

Thanks!

Does this script also work with GT-AX11000 (WIFI5-2)?

Thanks!
It may not even be needed for the newer router. This script came about because of some discerning discrepancies that several users including @Adamm noticed on tests using the RT-AX88U and the new wifi implementation. While I imagine this script might work with it, it may not be configured to work with -2 like you asked. It is hard to say with the newer model, that this script would even be necessary. I imagine users would want to wait until @Adamm obtains a new flagship model, which he has mentioned in one of his github issues of his intentions to obtain a newer model. You will have better answers then if this script is needed.

It may not even be needed for the newer router. This script came about because of some discerning discrepancies that several users including @Adamm noticed on tests using the RT-AX88U and the new wifi implementation. While I imagine this script might work with it, it may not be configured to work with -2 like you asked. It is hard to say with the newer model, that this script would even be necessary. I imagine users would want to wait until @Adamm obtains a new flagship model, which he has mentioned in one of his github issues of his intentions to obtain a newer model. You will have better answers then if this script is needed.

Correct. I don't personally own any 3 radio routers so I can't say if it works or not correctly, it may work for 5GHz radio #1 but would depend on the naming scheme of various values. Support for tri-band routers (including 6GHz models) won't be hard to add, I just need a device in front of me to do it. Hopefully Australia sorts out the legal aspects of 6GHz support soon so I can obtain one faster...

Last edited:
I modified Adamm's script to add support for 5 GHz-2(wl2) on my GT-AX11000 and so far it's running fine. I can share it if you want, it's a simple mod to add checking for wl2, so it's meant for 5 GHz-1 and 5 GHz-2 to be set to 160 MHz,
Awesome work!. @Adamm prophecy of one such as yourself has came true. Maybe if you have the time, you could look into submitting it into a pull request to the main github. I know a lot of users would be appreciative of your support!

nice. got a ax11000 that like to stick on 80mhz allot. this would help.

I modified Adamm's script to add support for 5 GHz-2(wl2) on my GT-AX11000 and so far it's running fine. I can share it if you want, it's a simple mod to add checking for wl2, so it's meant for 5 GHz-1 and 5 GHz-2 to be set to 160 MHz,
*Points at pull request button*
;)

Awesome work!. @Adamm prophecy of one such as yourself has came true. Maybe if you have the time, you could look into submitting it into a pull request to the main github. I know a lot of users would be appreciative of your support!

What I did was duplicate the check code to add support for 5 GHz-2(wl2), nothing special that Adamm couldn't do honestly. My mod works for my setup but in my opinion, there needs to be an option to enable/disable checking on 5 GHz-1 and 5 GHz-2 as not everyone has 160 MHz set on both radios like I do

*Points at pull request button*
;)

Unfortunately I don't use GitHub, so I'm not familiar with the process to create one. I can tell you what I changed though or send you my .sh file to review if you want

Attachments

• channelhog.txt
    13.2 KB · Views: 70
What I did was duplicate the check code to add support for 5 GHz-2(wl2), nothing special that Adamm couldn't do honestly. My mod works for my setup but in my opinion, there needs to be an option to enable/disable checking on 5 GHz-1 and 5 GHz-2 as not everyone has 160 MHz set on both radios like I do
@Adamm One thing I noticed while playing around... on the RT-AX88U, wl2 returns the value of br0. So there will need to be some logic adjustments to make the script uniformly compatible with both models.

Code:
RT-AX88U-C7C0:/tmp/home/root# ifconfig | grep -F "$(nvram get wl2_hwaddr)" | awk '{if (NR==1) {print $1}}'
br0

Code:
GT-AX11000-9600:/tmp/home/root# ifconfig | grep -F "$(nvram get wl2_hwaddr)" | awk '{if (NR==1) {print $1}}'
eth8

Simply add a grep 'eth' at the end.

Last edited:
Use wl_ifnames to get the list of WLAN interfaces.

Code:
admin@stargate:/tmp/home/root# nvram get wl_ifnames
eth6 eth7

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!