What's new

Combining Two Routers for more VPN Processing Power

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HarryMuscle

I was wondering if it might be possible to combine two routers to get higher VPN throughput. I'm upgrading my RT-N66U which can handle about 15MBps on VPN to a RT-AC66U B1 which should be able to handle 30+MBps. But I was wondering if there might be some way to keep both since these routers support dual WANs.

I would have the cable modem connected to router A which would establish a VPN connection and be configured as the main router and have dual WAN "load balancing" enabled. Then router B would be connected to one of the ether ports and have everything disabled except for a second VPN connection. The weird thing would be that router A would treat router B as the second WAN connection but router B would get it's WAN via router A (by passing the VPN connection on router A). Is this doable?

Thanks,
Harry

I was wondering if it might be possible to combine two routers to get higher VPN throughput. I'm upgrading my RT-N66U which can handle about 15MBps on VPN to a RT-AC66U B1 which should be able to handle 30+MBps. But I was wondering if there might be some way to keep both since these routers support dual WANs.

I would have the cable modem connected to router A which would establish a VPN connection and be configured as the main router and have dual WAN "load balancing" enabled. Then router B would be connected to one of the ether ports and have everything disabled except for a second VPN connection. The weird thing would be that router A would treat router B as the second WAN connection but router B would get it's WAN via router A (by passing the VPN connection on router A). Is this doable?

Thanks,
Harry
Get a high end pfSense appliance and follow this guide to load balance your traffic across multiple VPN gateways:
https://nguvu.org/pfsense/pfsense-multi-vpn-wan/

Last edited by a moderator:
Load balancing does not increase throughput to a single connection. It helps only with aggregate traffic levels.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!