What's new

connmon connmon - Internet connection monitoring

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s a LOT of clock jitter. What NTP servers are you pointing at? Are everyone else’s ax88s like that, I wonder?
EDIT- I just looked at my stats, and for the last 30 days averages are: ping 16.2ms (graph shows cloudflare playing games; today it dropped to sub-9 and has been as low as 7.6), jitter 0.36ms and line quality 99.8. I would tend to think that this indicates a config issue with OP's router/WAN interface/connection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This would be connmon rather than ntpMerlin.

I was also taken aback by the ping response times. Maybe that is just the nature of their internet service. This is what I am seeing from Comcast in suburban Boston using the first hop router for ping.

connmon.JPG

Another idea is that they are using a VPN client for all router traffic.

Last edited:
This would be connmon rather than ntpMerlin.

I was also taken aback by the ping response times. Maybe that is just the nature of their internet service. This is what I am seeing from Comcast in suburban Boston using the first hop router for ping.

View attachment 21904
Another idea is that they are using a VPN client for all router traffic.

Correct ! Those ping times are from my VPN server. :D

With the speedtest script I get results separated for wan and vpn.

Is this a future option for connmon?

Sent from my SM-T805 using Asus RT-AC86U & Merlin 384.13

That ^ would be a sweet comparison, @Jack Yaz

With the speedtest script I get results separated for wan and vpn.

Is this a future option for connmon?

That ^ would be a sweet comparison, @Jack Yaz

That revives the need for the ability to set a destination per interface (currently spdmerlin only uses your choice of server for the WAN connection, VPNs use "auto" mode). I could easily implement it with the same limitation in connmon, but "auto" doesn't exist - we'd need to pick a sane default for VPNs. How about 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8?

Having a destination per interface would be very nice on connmon. I am actually using it right now a little differently.
I recently setup AiMesh - an AX88U as the router and a AX58U as the node in Wireless mode. I have connmon monitor the node and I use spdMerlin to let me know how my wan is doing.
I wanted to keep an eye on the wireless interface between router and node. Working well!

Having a destination per interface would be very nice on connmon. I am actually using it right now a little differently.
I recently setup AiMesh - an AX88U as the router and a AX58U as the node in Wireless mode. I have connmon monitor the node and I use spdMerlin to let me know how my wan is doing.
I wanted to keep an eye on the wireless interface between router and node. Working well!
This use case would require me to add the br0 interface as a choice, and validate such that only private IPs can be specified. This would require more work than simply re-using the interface selection code from spdmerlin - meaning if I do that, I would break your use case.

This use case would require me to add the br0 interface as a choice, and validate such that only private IPs can be specified. This would require more work than simply re-using the interface selection code from spdmerlin - meaning if I do that, I would break your use case.

Which command/lib you use to run a 30 seconds ping?

https://linux.die.net/man/8/ping

Standard ping utility. To test per interface, I would need to use the -I switch to make sure tun11 is used for VPN Client 1, and so forth. If you bind to the WAN interface (i.e. eth0 / ppp0) then it will fail when pinging a local IP.
You was quicker than me :)

Just finished to look over at github and found it at line 664

How about this:
1) Userfriendly -> keep everything as it is
2) Advanced user -> define multiple interfaces / per interface destination at own risk

As an rough idea

v2.3.2 is now available
Changelog:
Code:
Set ping destination in WebUI
Implement drag to zoom
Implement deferred loading plugin

Hey Jack!
On webui, when I try to insert one.one.one.one it doesn't work. Attached.

However, via ssh, I can define it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200314-232519646.png
    Screenshot_20200314-232519646.png
    106.5 KB · Views: 129
Probably the regex not liking the depth. Use the ip 1.1.1.1 instead
You are using:
Code:
/^(([a-zA-Z]{1})|([a-zA-Z]{1}[a-zA-Z]{1})|([a-zA-Z]{1}[0-9]{1})|([0-9]{1}[a-zA-Z]{1})|([a-zA-Z0-9][a-zA-Z0-9-_]{1,61}[a-zA-Z0-9]))\.([a-zA-Z]{2,6}|[a-zA-Z0-9-]{2,30}\.[a-zA-Z]{2,3})$/
You can use:
Code:
/(?:[a-z0-9](?:[a-z0-9-]{0,61}[a-z0-9])?\.)+[a-z0-9][a-z0-9-]{0,61}[a-z0-9]/

You are using:
Code:
/^(([a-zA-Z]{1})|([a-zA-Z]{1}[a-zA-Z]{1})|([a-zA-Z]{1}[0-9]{1})|([0-9]{1}[a-zA-Z]{1})|([a-zA-Z0-9][a-zA-Z0-9-_]{1,61}[a-zA-Z0-9]))\.([a-zA-Z]{2,6}|[a-zA-Z0-9-]{2,30}\.[a-zA-Z]{2,3})$/
You can use:
Code:
/(?:[a-z0-9](?:[a-z0-9-]{0,61}[a-z0-9])?\.)+[a-z0-9][a-z0-9-]{0,61}[a-z0-9]/
Code:
^(?:[a-z0-9](?:[a-z0-9-]{0,61}[a-z0-9])?\.)+[a-z0-9][a-z0-9-]{0,61}[a-z0-9]$
adding start and end matches is required, so that will do nicely. thanks

feature request: ping ipv6 ? the current field doesn't seem to want to accept an ipv6 addy

Effect of pandemic on consumer internet service providers
Here is 30 days of Connmon data from suburban Boston
The ping is from Asus router to the first hop Comcast router
connmon.png

Not so pronounced in SW Florida.

With the number of cars headed North on I-75 bandwidth demand should be dropping.
Screenshot_2020-03-21 Internet Uptime Monitoring.png

I changed my ping from cloudflare to Hurricane Electric...my ping may be higher, but it's rock solid; that's translated into a narrower range of jitter for me.

connmon-30_CFvsHE.png
connmon-HE.png

I wonder if it will stay that way during tonight's Netflix surge...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!