What's new

connmon connmon - Internet connection monitoring

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, my mistake with the terminology - but, it's still hitting 93% so it's not like it's far off of 100%. That seems kind of excessive for me every 5 minutes. I see you're the author of this software, and I'm new to this software. Do you think you might be able to answer any of my questions about it?
It's likely your router struggling with the weekly/monthly data aggregation (which is generated on each 5 minute run currently)

It's likely your router struggling with the weekly/monthly data aggregation (which is generated on each 5 minute run currently)
Is there any way to disable that? I tried to look on Google for it but I can't seem to find anything.

edit: I uninstalled connmon, and the issue went away. Is there anything I can do to optimize/configure connmon so it uses even slightly less CPU? It doesn't seem to affect my speeds or latency but I'd still prefer if it could use less CPU. Simple pinging, traceroutes, etc take less than 50% CPU.

Last edited:
Is there any way to disable that? I tried to look on Google for it but I can't seem to find anything.

edit: I uninstalled connmon, and the issue went away. Is there anything I can do to optimize/configure connmon so it uses even slightly less CPU? It doesn't seem to affect my speeds or latency but I'd still prefer if it could use less CPU. Simple pinging, traceroutes, etc take less than 50% CPU.
I can look into separation of the more intensive tasks to a separate schedule, but as a low priority since its just a preference rather than a problem.

I can look into separation of the more intensive tasks to a separate schedule, but as a low priority since its just a preference rather than a problem.

With all the scheduled things that happen with supported amtm scripts, it may be an idea to have @thelonelycoder include something that shows/manages when everything happens? Having things happen a few minutes apart may make all the difference.

Although, I haven't noticed anything really slowing down my RT-AC86U, with regards to simply surfing when other tasks are handled in the background. :)

With all the scheduled things that happen with supported amtm scripts, it may be an idea to have @thelonelycoder include something that shows/manages when everything happens? Having things happen a few minutes apart may make all the difference.

Although, I haven't noticed anything really slowing down my RT-AC86U, with regards to simply surfing when other tasks are handled in the background. :)
Code:
cru l
does exactly that

Code:
cru l
does exactly that

Doesn't really give me any information I can use? :oops:

Code:
admin@RT-AC86U:/tmp/home/root# cru 1

Cron Utility
add:    cru a <unique id> <"min hour day month week command">
delete: cru d <unique id>
list:   cru l

admin@RT-AC86U:/tmp/home/root#

Doesn't really give me any information I can use? :oops:

Code:
admin@RT-AC86U:/tmp/home/root# cru 1

Cron Utility
add:    cru a <unique id> <"min hour day month week command">
delete: cru d <unique id>
list:   cru l

lowercase L, not a 1

as directed by the output from your incorrect command

lowercase L, not a 1

as directed by the output from your incorrect command

Thank you. :oops:

That worked, but it is in machine language to me. :)

Code:
admin@RT-AC86U:/tmp/home/root# cru l
*/10 * * * * /jffs/scripts/ntpmerlin generate #ntpMerlin#
*/5 * * * * /jffs/scripts/connmon generate #connmon#
0 * * * * /jffs/scripts/uiDivStats generate #uiDivStats#
5 0 * * * /opt/sbin/logrotate /opt/etc/logrotate.conf >> /opt/tmp/logrotate.daily 2>&1 #logrotate#
25 9 * * * sh /jffs/scripts/firewall banmalware #Skynet_banmalware#
25 1 * * Mon sh /jffs/scripts/firewall update #Skynet_autoupdate#
*/2 * * * * /etc/openvpn/server1/vpns-watchdog1.sh #CheckVPNServer1#
00 2 * * Sat sh /opt/share/diversion/file/update-bl.div reset #Diversion_UpdateBL#
20 5 * * * sh /opt/share/diversion/file/rotate-logs.div #Diversion_RotateLogs#
20 17 * * * diversion count_ads count #Diversion_CountAds#
30 1 * * Sat sh /opt/share/diversion/file/stats.div #Diversion_WeeklyStats#

Any way to make this human-readable? :D

Is there a way to make the monitoring tab retain settings?
It always defaults to lines with no fill and expanded view.

Thank you. :oops:

That worked, but it is in machine language to me. :)

Code:
admin@RT-AC86U:/tmp/home/root# cru l
*/10 * * * * /jffs/scripts/ntpmerlin generate #ntpMerlin#
*/5 * * * * /jffs/scripts/connmon generate #connmon#
0 * * * * /jffs/scripts/uiDivStats generate #uiDivStats#
5 0 * * * /opt/sbin/logrotate /opt/etc/logrotate.conf >> /opt/tmp/logrotate.daily 2>&1 #logrotate#
25 9 * * * sh /jffs/scripts/firewall banmalware #Skynet_banmalware#
25 1 * * Mon sh /jffs/scripts/firewall update #Skynet_autoupdate#
*/2 * * * * /etc/openvpn/server1/vpns-watchdog1.sh #CheckVPNServer1#
00 2 * * Sat sh /opt/share/diversion/file/update-bl.div reset #Diversion_UpdateBL#
20 5 * * * sh /opt/share/diversion/file/rotate-logs.div #Diversion_RotateLogs#
20 17 * * * diversion count_ads count #Diversion_CountAds#
30 1 * * Sat sh /opt/share/diversion/file/stats.div #Diversion_WeeklyStats#

Any way to make this human-readable? :D
Paste these bits:
Code:
*/10 * * * *
here :)
https://crontab.guru

Paste these bits:
Code:
*/10 * * * *
here :)
https://crontab.guru

Okay, the first two examples I posted illustrate what I meant in the original post.

Every 10th minute and every 5th minute is very ambiguous to me. Does it start at the top of the hour?

If so, then I would like them staggered so that the two items are not processed concurrently (and also not with any other remaining cru jobs too and also taking into account how long it takes to run each of them).

Maybe it is easier to simply hard code these scripts to be run at unique times (and also take into consideration the longest possible run time of the script and consider too, all the scripts that are amtm supports too)?

If this would be user-adjustable, an option to automatically 'spread' the runs so that they don't overlap would be the icing on the cake, for me. :)

This isn't really a feature request per se, just thinking out loud before I have to go to a job site in a few minutes. :)

Thank you for the additional info you have provided so far. :)

Okay, the first two examples I posted illustrate what I meant in the original post.

Every 10th minute and every 5th minute is very ambiguous to me. Does it start at the top of the hour?

If so, then I would like them staggered so that the two items are not processed concurrently (and also not with any other remaining cru jobs too and also taking into account how long it takes to run each of them).

Maybe it is easier to simply hard code these scripts to be run at unique times (and also take into consideration the longest possible run time of the script and consider too, all the scripts that are amtm supports too)?

If this would be user-adjustable, an option to automatically 'spread' the runs so that they don't overlap would be the icing on the cake, for me. :)

This isn't really a feature request per se, just thinking out loud before I have to go to a job site in a few minutes. :)

Thank you for the additional info you have provided so far. :)
CPUs are capable of multiple concurrent processes....a lot of this is people worrying over nothing

I'll look into it, but really you have nothing to worry about. I have been running these scripts longer than anyone, and trust me, if there was a problem I'd know about it (via the wife who uses the router all day)

I just uninstalled connmon, and for other reasons, peeked at the services-start file and 'connmon start" was still there. Guess it doesn't hurt anything, but you might want to look at your uninstall script.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!