What's new

connmon connmon - Internet connection monitoring

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jack Yaz

Part of the Furniture
v2.11.7
Updated 2021-08-04

connmon is an internet connection monitoring tool for AsusWRT Merlin with charts for daily, weekly and monthly summaries.

connmon is free to use under the GNU General Public License version 3 (GPL 3.0).

This project is hosted on GitHub

Love the script and want to support future development? Any and all donations gratefully received!
PayPal donation
Buy me a coffee

Supported firmware versions
You must be running firmware Merlin 384.15/384.13_4 or Fork 43E5 (or later) Asuswrt-Merlin

Installation
Using your preferred SSH client/terminal, copy and paste the following command, then press Enter:
Code:
/usr/sbin/curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jackyaz/connmon/master/connmon.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/connmon" && chmod 0755 /jffs/scripts/connmon && /jffs/scripts/connmon install

Usage
WebUI

connmon can be configured via the WebUI, in the Addons section.

Command Line
To launch the connmon menu after installation, use:
Code:
connmon

If this does not work, you will need to use the full path:
Code:
/jffs/scripts/connmon

Last edited:
Screenshots
5abb816c02.png
ec4e09211b.png

Last edited:
Hey @Jack Yaz .. is the every X minutes automatic ping based on when you started the router? So if I started it at 3.03PM with a settting of every 5 mins. It'll run at 3.08PM?

If yes, could you add an option to do it like with spdmerlin, where I could set the start hour and end hour so I can be sure that say it'll run every 5 minutes ( 1.00PM - 1.05PM - 1.10PM ) regardless of when the router started? Since I want to make sure that the speedtests and ping test are at a different time.

Thank you !!

Hey @Jack Yaz .. is the every X minutes automatic ping based on when you started the router? So if I started it at 3.03PM with a settting of every 5 mins. It'll run at 3.08PM?

If yes, could you add an option to do it like with spdmerlin, where I could set the start hour and end hour so I can be sure that say it'll run every 5 minutes ( 1.00PM - 1.05PM - 1.10PM ) regardless of when the router started? Since I want to make sure that the speedtests and ping test are at a different time.

Thank you !!
it uses the */X notation for minutes in cron

Thank you !!
this will be in 2.8.0. you can preview it by running
Code:
connmon develop

oh shoot...this is hot and fresh off the presses (top post last updated 4 minutes ago...) - a U in amtm doesn't see it yet...

v2.8.0 is now available
Changelog:
  • NEW: Add WebUI table for last 10 ping tests
  • NEW: Show result of manual ping test in WebUI
  • NEW: Configure which hours connmon should run
  • IMPROVED: CSV export has been condensed to a combined csv with all available metrics
  • CHANGED: Use 7za instead of 7z (MIPS fix)
  • CHANGED: Rename Packet_Loss column in db to LineQuality to reflect actual stored values

After the update to 2.8.0 there still seem to be problems with the renaming of Paket_Loss column to LineQuality. The table for Quality only shows "no data to display". Also in the other tables the last tests results do not appear. The download of the data results in a 0 byte CSV file. If you run the script over the terminal I get this error message, which is not displayed over the web interface:

Code:
Error: near line 2: table connstats has no column named LineQuality
Error: near line 4: no such column: LineQuality
Error: near line 3: no such column: LineQuality

After the update to 2.8.0 there still seem to be problems with the renaming of Paket_Loss column to LineQuality. The table for Quality only shows "no data to display". Also in the other tables the last tests results do not appear. The download of the data results in a 0 byte CSV file. If you run the script over the terminal I get this error message, which is not displayed over the web interface:

Code:
Error: near line 2: table connstats has no column named LineQuality
Error: near line 3: no such column: LineQuality
What do you get if you manually run the SQLITE column rename? (assuming USB install)
Code:
sqlite3 /opt/share/connmon.d/connstats.db
ALTER TABLE connstats RENAME COLUMN [Packet_Loss] TO [LineQuality];

What's new in today's release? Thanks :)

What's new in today's release?

Not sure what else, but I noticed it now starts up in post-mount rather than services-start, as per what happened with the spdMerlin 4.1.1 update a couple of days ago ...

@Jack Yaz do we gather you are gradually migrating a bunch of your scripts to start in post-mount to be more compatible with the 386 branch?

One more question, since spdMerlin now shows line quality, is connmon needed (has conmon been "builtin" to spdMerlin)? I.e. does connmon do anything that spdMerlin does not?

One more question, since spdMerlin now shows line quality, is connmon needed (has conmon been "builtin" to spdMerlin)? I.e. does connmon do anything that spdMerlin does not?

I still use it. Not every Speedtest server supports line quality and jitter. Plus connmon allows for better tracking of your connection in general.

For example, one night this week my connection went down for about 15-20 minutes in the middle of the night, but spdmerlin didn’t show this since it was between the time that it runs. Connmon allows me to see these rare small drops and let’s me know if there’s a problem I need to investigate if they become more frequent.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!