What's new

connmon connmon - Internet connection monitoring

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Handy diagnostic tool, thanks. What's missing is a disable switch - in case you don't want to run it all the time.

Last edited:
Maybe as addition to allow it to multiple hosts, by default its set too 8.8.8.8, i would like to add cloudflare too for good measure, or can i seperate it already with a ; ?

v2.8.5 is now available
Changelog:

NEW: Add option to reset database (CLI menu only)
CHANGED: Allow ping frequency maximum to be every 30 minutes (up from 10)
CHANGED: Exclude pings from QoS instead of marking as default
FIXED: Print correct test length at CLI

I apologize in advance if this was asked already, but is there a way to trigger a router reboot after a certain number of failed pings? I’ve been having issues lately with my WAN connection dropping, and rebooting the router resolves it. This would be a awesome function, especially when I’m not home to do it when it happens.

I apologize in advance if this was asked already, but is there a way to trigger a router reboot after a certain number of failed pings? I’ve been having issues lately with my WAN connection dropping, and rebooting the router resolves it. This would be a awesome function, especially when I’m not home to do it when it happens.
Consider a hardware remote power IP reset switch -- it is exactly what they are designed for.

ChkWAN: https://github.com/MartineauUK/Chk-WAN

v2.9.0 is now available
Changelog:

• NEW: Option to turn automatic ping tests on/off
  • NEW: CLI menu shows URL for WebUI page
  • NEW: CLI commands for "about" and "help"
  • IMPROVED: Scheduling of automatic ping tests is now much more flexible
  • IMPROVED: Update function now includes a prompt rather than applying update
  • IMPROVED: Use colours in CLI menu to highlight settings
  • CHANGED: NTP timeout increased to 10 minutes

Code:
connmon: Lock file found (age: 458 seconds) - ping test likely currently running

I don't want to sound impatient, but how long does it take until the lock file is removed?

Edit: I'm off to bed. connmon v2.9.0 will have to wait until tomorrow as I can barely keep my eyes open anymore.

Code:
connmon: Lock file found (age: 369 seconds) - ping test likely currently running

I don't want to sound impatient, but how long does it take until the lock file is removed?
how long did you set for the ping test? it should be removed fairly promptly afterwards

how long did you set for the ping test? it should be removed fairly promptly afterwards

Everything, except storage location is at its default value, so 60 seconds:

Screenshot_2021-03-21 connmon.png

Nevermind, it removed the lockfile after 10 minutes and updated anyway to 2.9.0. Time to go to bed.

Code:
connmon: Stale lock file found (>600 seconds old) - purging lock

connmon: New version of connmon available - updating to v2.9.0

connmon: New version of connmonstats_www.asp downloaded

connmon: Mounted connmon WebUI page as user3.asp

Nevermind, it removed the lockfile after 10 minutes and updated anyway to 2.9.0. Time to go to bed.

Code:
connmon: Stale lock file found (>600 seconds old) - purging lock

connmon: New version of connmon available - updating to v2.9.0

connmon: New version of connmonstats_www.asp downloaded

connmon: Mounted connmon WebUI page as user3.asp
something must have got hung up in the previous version and a Clear_Lock never got hit

Dear JackYazz,

Thank you for connmon (and spdMerlin).
I am on 386.2 beta 2 with connmon 2.9.

I am trying to change the frequency from 3 minutes to 1 minute (or 2 minutes).
When the UI refreshes, it still displays 3. When the table refreshes, the test results are still based on the 3 minutes frequency.
Note that when I change the test duration, I get the expected result.

I have tested the manual scheduling with * and */1. When the UI refreshes and I reselect "custom", it still shows me again * and */3, the default values.

Maybe every 3 minutes is the most pragmatic value anyway ;-) I have not tried through CLI (yet).

Thank you again
Take care
Olivier

Dear JackYazz,

Thank you for connmon (and spdMerlin).
I am on 386.2 beta 2 with connmon 2.9.

I am trying to change the frequency from 3 minutes to 1 minute (or 2 minutes).
When the UI refreshes, it still displays 3. When the table refreshes, the test results are still based on the 3 minutes frequency.
Note that when I change the test duration, I get the expected result.

I have tested the manual scheduling with * and */1. When the UI refreshes and I reselect "custom", it still shows me again * and */3, the default values.

Maybe every 3 minutes is the most pragmatic value anyway ;-) I have not tried through CLI (yet).

Thank you again
Take care
Olivier
good find, fixed

A little conmon 2.9.1 weirdness this morning. At 3:42 am, pings to 8.8.8.8 began to fail, and continue to do so. At 10am when I noticed it, tried from the PC and the ping to 8.8.8.8 failed as well.
So proceeded to change IP address or domain from the GUI, no dice. Kept giving me formatting errors. Same cut/past or address or name from command line works fine.

Not sure what's going on with 8.8.8.8 but changed the target to DDNS name which not only serves to check my connection but that the DDNS service is working as well.
Any one else have issues with pinging 8.8.8.8? Anyone else have an issue with changing the target of the ping via the GUI?

Last edited:
A little conmon 2.9.1 weirdness this morning. At 3:42 am, pings to 8.8.8.8 began to fail, and continue to do so. At 10am when I noticed it, tried from the PC and the ping to 8.8.8.8 failed as well.
So proceeded to change IP address or domain from the GUI, no dice. Kept giving me formatting errors. Same cut/past or address or name from command line works fine.

Not sure what's going on with 8.8.8.8 but changed the target to DDNS name which not only serves to check my connection but that the DDNS service is working as well.
Any one else have issues with pinging 8.8.8.8? Anyone else have an issue with changing the target of the ping via the GUI?
Well it was Skynet 7.2.4 getting in the way. Ran a trace route to 8.8.8.8 and it didn't get past the router. Went to Skynet via command line and after taking a minute or so to load up, said Internet connectivity failure. After restarting Skynet (option 8), could ping 8.8.8.8 again. Haven't tried to manually add a new/custom IP addr via the GUI yet, will let it run for a bit...

Well it was Skynet 7.2.4 getting in the way. Ran a trace route to 8.8.8.8 and it didn't get past the router. Went to Skynet via command line and after taking a minute or so to load up, said Internet connectivity failure. After restarting Skynet (option 8), could ping 8.8.8.8 again. Haven't tried to manually add a new/custom IP addr via the GUI yet, will let it run for a bit...
From the Gui, custom IP (1.1.1.1 - Cloudflare) "Validation Error". With my DDNS name already in the field and Domain selected (via command line), as soon as I select that line, changes to red, Cut and Paste same entry Validation error. Go to another page on the Router and back, seems fine then. But can only add a custom entry via SSH/command line...

Just a thought (and I do realise you have already much on your plate) but wouldn't the functionality of ChkWAN by @Martineau be a great (optional) addition to connmon? If connmon detects WAN has gone down and it doesn't get restored within a preset time frame that it would be able to perform an automatic reboot in an attempt to restore the connection?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!