What's new

Couple of quick questions, maybe

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PS: One other question, if I may: It seemed like skynet was already installed, and I didn't install it again. Perhaps it was running from the jfss partition, and I need to uninstall or reinstall it? thanks.
Skynet itself runs from jffs, but the swap file and ipset data/logs would reside on the usb drive. So it might need to be reinstalled to be safe.

Skynet itself runs from jffs, but the swap file and ipset data/logs would reside on the usb drive. So it might need to be reinstalled to be safe.
Ok, but I don't have the option to install skynet, just to run it in AMTM. When I run it, this is what it says:
(I am tempted to try removing and then installing it, but will wait and maybe look further)
upload_2019-12-11_7-19-0.png

Last edited:
Ok, but I don't have the option to install skynet, just to run it in AMTM. When I run it, this is what it says:
(I am tempted to try removing and then installing it, but will wait and maybe look further)
View attachment 20242
Instead of running amtm, just try running this command to invoke SkyNet directly with the install parameter.
Code:
sh /jffs/scripts/firewall install

Instead of running amtm, just try running this command to invoke SkyNet directly with the install parameter.
Code:
sh /jffs/scripts/firewall install
I have tried that now, but it looks stuck. I will give it plenty of time though
upload_2019-12-11_7-39-22.png

I have tried that now, but it looks stuck. I will give it plenty of time though
View attachment 20243
It may be time to head to the SkyNet thread for more eyes on this issue. But in the meantime, Ctrl-C out of that and try again with this debugging command and post the results once it hangs:
Code:
sh -x /jffs/scripts/firewall install

I suggest:
  • Safely remove the USB drive from the router. Then, physically remove it. Backup any required files (probably not needed at this point.
  • Insert it into a computer and format it (it doesn't matter which one you use, just make sure to wipe it clean).
  • Backup any important data/files you have on the JFFS partition.
  • Use the Format the JFFS partition option in the GUI and then reboot the router at least twice in 15 minutes.
  • Follow the rest of the instructions in the amtm Step-by-Step Guide in my signature below.
  • After amtm, a swap file and Diversion are installed per the guide above, continue installing additional scripts via amtm.

ok this is it:
(or I can get a screenshot if it it better)

+ Check_Lock install
+ [ -f /tmp/skynet.lock ]
+ sed -n 2p /tmp/skynet.lock
+ [ -d /proc/29663 ]
+ echo install
+ echo 2621
+ date +%s
+ lockskynet=true
+ ipset -v
+ grep -qE v6|v7
+ uname -r
+ [ ! -f /lib/modules/4.1.27/kernel/net/netfilter/ipset/ip_set_hash_ipmac.ko ]
+ nvram get jffs2_scripts
+ [ 1 != 1 ]
+ nvram get fw_enable_x
+ [ 1 != 1 ]
+ nvram get fw_log_x
+ [ drop != drop ]
+ Check_Files
+ [ ! -f /jffs/scripts/firewall-start ]
+ [ -f /jffs/scripts/firewall-start ]
+ head -1 /jffs/scripts/firewall-start
+ grep -qE ^#!/bin/sh
+ [ ! -f /jffs/scripts/services-stop ]
+ [ -f /jffs/scripts/services-stop ]
+ head -1 /jffs/scripts/services-stop
+ grep -qE ^#!/bin/sh
+ [ ! -f /jffs/scripts/post-mount ]
+ [ -f /jffs/scripts/post-mount ]
+ head -1 /jffs/scripts/post-mount
+ grep -qE ^#!/bin/sh
+ [ ! -f /jffs/scripts/unmount ]
+ [ -f /jffs/scripts/unmount ]
+ head -1 /jffs/scripts/unmount
+ grep -qE ^#!/bin/sh
+ [ ! -f /jffs/configs/fstab ]
+ [ = verify ]
+ wc -l
+ [ 5 -lt 2 ]
+ chmod 755 /jffs/scripts/firewall /jffs/scripts/firewall-start /jffs/scripts/sb
+ Filter_Version
+ grep -m1 -oE v[0-9]{1,2}([.][0-9]{1,2})([.][0-9]{1,2})
+ echo Installing Skynet v6.9.2
Installing Skynet v6.9.2
+ echo

+ Manage_Device
+ echo Looking For Available Partitions
Looking For Available Partitions
+ i=1
+ IFS=

+ /bin/mount
+ awk {printf "%s - (%s)\n", $3, $1}
+ grep -E ext2|ext3|ext4|tfat|exfat
+ echo [1] --> /tmp/mnt/SWAP4AC86U - (/dev/sda1)
[1] --> /tmp/mnt/SWAP4AC86U - (/dev/sda1)
+ echo /tmp/mnt/SWAP4AC86U - (/dev/sda1)+ awk {print $1}

+ eval mounts1=/tmp/mnt/SWAP4AC86U
+ mounts1=/tmp/mnt/SWAP4AC86U
+ i=2
+ unset IFS
+ [ 2 = 1 ]
+ Select_Device
+ echo

+ echo Please Enter Partition Number Or e To Exit
Please Enter Partition Number Or e To Exit
+ printf [0-%s]: 1
[0-1]: + read -r partitionNumber

FWIW, there's another 5tb WD drive attached to the RT-AC86U other (3.0) usb port that is actually a 2.0 usb device. I got to thinking it might be interfering? I had it unplugged when formatting, etc, but it is plugged in now. I will try L&LD's suggestion and see how it goes.

I apologize again for my ignorance. It's a lot for an old man to absorb, but I am learning, and it will be worth it, I believe. I've got a lot of you guys to put on my Christmas list this year, and I appreciate you and what you do. I've said it before, I sincerely believe that you guys are the best on the earth at this.

Last edited:
@JT_Strickland, try following the steps in post 26 without that second USB drive connected to see amtm, Diversion and Skynet working as intended first. You can add that drive after and see if it causes any issues then. ;)

I suggest:
  • Safely remove the USB drive from the router. Then, physically remove it. Backup any required files (probably not needed at this point.
  • Insert it into a computer and format it (it doesn't matter which one you use, just make sure to wipe it clean).
  • Backup any important data/files you have on the JFFS partition.
  • Use the Format the JFFS partition option in the GUI and then reboot the router at least twice in 15 minutes.
  • Follow the rest of the instructions in the amtm Step-by-Step Guide in my signature below.
  • After amtm, a swap file and Diversion are installed per the guide above, continue installing additional scripts via amtm.
Again, please excuse my ignorance, but by GUI are you talking about formatting the JFFS partition in AMTM after formatting the usb drive to NFTS in windows, AMTM is still finding reference as shown here:
upload_2019-12-11_8-24-38.png

Per your recent post, 10-4, I will remove the other drive

@JT_Strickland I see that you are running an older version of amtm (2.7).

What you need to do is use the router's GUI to format the JFFS partition on the next boot.

You can find this option in the Persistent JFFS2 partition section in the Administration (left side 'tab') in the System tab (along the top).

I have formatted the JFFS partition on my router, updated to AMTM 3.0, and formatted the usb drive on my pc and in AMTM (older version) and it still says Skynet is installed (open option), but perhaps is is supposed to be that way? I assume the formatting isn't a different routine between the AMTM versions, so I will proceed with the step-by-step directions that I have been trying to follow.

Another thing, I just disabled Webroot AV because it has caused grief with my Windscribe VPN etc. I probably should uninstall it, it has only caught my programs and not the bad guys.

If I understand it correctly, I should let Entware install Diversion, and not through AMTM?
edit: I mean Diversion install Entware.
It is still showing ..Waiting for Skynet to finish task... while installing Divsersion.
Skynet is still there somehow?

Last edited:
@JT_Strickland, if you formatted the JFFS partition, Skynet would not still be listed as installed. Entware does not install Diversion (rather, Diversion installs Entware).
  • Remove all your USB drives from the router, and reboot the router.
  • Go to Administration, Settings and select the option to 'Format JFFS partition at next boot'. Make sure to select Apply at the bottom of that page before you reboot the router.
  • Format the USB drive on a computer once again.
  • Follow the amtm Step-by-Step guide to get the USB drive formatted, install a swap file and install Diversion too.
At this point, you should not have Skynet installed. You should need to install it (please do so via amtm). :)

ok, I will try it again. I tried to follow correctly, but I must have missed something. After thinking, I may have not hit "apply" when I formatted the JFFS on the router. I will start again.
This is what Entware says:
upload_2019-12-11_9-38-15.png

This is what skynet says:
upload_2019-12-11_9-35-32.png

@JT_Strickland, if you formatted the JFFS partition, Skynet would not still be listed as installed. Entware does not install Diversion (rather, Diversion installs Entware).
  • Remove all your USB drives from the router, and reboot the router.
  • Go to Administration, Settings and select the option to 'Format JFFS partition at next boot'. Make sure to select Apply at the bottom of that page before you reboot the router.
  • Format the USB drive on a computer once again.
  • Follow the amtm Step-by-Step guide to get the USB drive formatted, install a swap file and install Diversion too.
At this point, you should not have Skynet installed. You should need to install it (please do so via amtm). :)

I think that did it this time. I probably forgot to hit the "apply" button on the router interface when I selected "format jffs partition on next boot", or something similarly stoopid.
I will ask any further questions about the scripts in the appropriate place.
I don't think I was quite prepared for this. I should have done some more research first.
I really appreciate all the help, from everyone.
jts

ok, I will try it again. I tried to follow correctly, but I must have missed something. After thinking, I may have not hit "apply" when I formatted the JFFS on the router. I will start again.
This is what Entware says:
View attachment 20254
This is what skynet says:
View attachment 20253

You have old traces of Skynet in your JFFS files from the improper uninstall.

Quick fix;

Code:
sed -i '\~ Skynet ~d' /jffs/scripts/firewall-start /jffs/scripts/services-stop

Then run the install command to repair it.

Thank you all, It seems to be running properly now.
My couple of questions turned into a couple of pages due to my noob greenery.
thanka again,
jts