What's new

Derping with Open VPN on Asus RT N66u On FTTC Cable ( Virgin )

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

90Ninety

New Around Here
We have a FTTC cable connection (Virgin media 200Mbps) , with a Hitron router/modem ( in modem only mode ) , Although we have a business package , I understand this connection shares the residential lines
We have set up the Hitron in Modem Only mode and have an Asus RT 66U router handling the network ( the hitron had problems opening ports )
I have a challenge currently getting an open VPN connection to work . We have a Qnap NAS( Linux Server ) which has its own Open VPN server ; I have tried manually opening the 1194 port on the router and connecting with the Config client file ( from open VPN ) with a client pc but no connection .
I ran a open port test , though the browser reports the port 1194 is closed . I have tried switching uPnP off and on the Asus Router , changing the port foreward destination and source IP , restarting the router but I cannot seem to get a browser to confirm that the port is open .
Now the very strange part , Asus routers come with their own VPN server which I can flick on and off and I can connect to this perfectly . The config of the Asus Open VPN , suggests that port 1194 is used , yet all of the open port tools still suggest that the port is closed .Even with the the Router's own VPN server running
I am really confused with this , any and all suggestions are appreciated

Make sure you forward the correct protocol (UDP or TCP). Also, there's an enable/disable option on the Virtual Server page, so you must also enable it.

Hi Rmerlin

On the router VPN page there is options for
UDP
TCP
Both

I remember trying all three options but , will try again

Where is the enable the 'virtual server page ' option , on which device are you referring to ?

Many thanks

Hi Rmerlin

On the router VPN page there is options for
UDP
TCP
Both

I remember trying all three options but , will try again

Where is the enable the 'virtual server page ' option , on which device are you referring to ?

Many thanks

On the same page where you forward port 1194 on your router (router.asus.com/Advanced_VirtualServer_Content.asp).