What's new

DHCP Server Clients Name (custom Name) added back to display

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LBJPilot

Occasional Visitor
In the stock Asus firmware there is a Custom Name field that lets you assign your own name to a mac address (as well as static IP addresses)

In your firmware you added the hostname field which is fantastic!

Although I noticed you no longer display the Custom Name field anymore although it still exists in the router (along side your new hostname field).

I thought it would be valuable to still show the Custom name.

I never did work on this software but in two days, I installed the linux VM in vmfusion, added the packages, and was then able to make modifications to your code to add this field back into the column that contains the Ethernet field. (used version 380.58).

I am not sure if you are interested in these modifications, where all were made in the file: Advanced_DHCP_Content.asp

Not sure if you would be interested in my modifications since I am sure you could easily do them, either way thought it was nice to have them back since it makes looking at the entries that much easier since host names are more restrictive and its easier to spot the clients in the having that field displayed as well.

If anyone is interested I can post my version of that file. (I also added some text to the header just so I can see its my version of the firmware since i did not do anything to alter the version number).

this has been in there for awhile. via netwprk map or dhcp server,you can name the hosts and change the icons also.

this has been in there for awhile. via netwprk map or dhcp server,you can name the hosts and change the icons also.

Its on the network map, not the dhcp panel.. In merlins version, the custom name does not show up above the mac address, where in the stock asus version it does. So i added it back to merlins version, merlin added the hostname field to the dhcp panel which is a great feature since i dont know many people routers that have that.., not sure why he choose to remove the custom client name.

Asus's DHCP page is vastly different from mine, a side effect from having implemented the extra hostname field and the editable fields - I'm unable to merge Asus' new dropdown code because our two pages are too vastly different.

The changes were actually quite simple limited and I believe would be simple to carry along since they are in line with your code, up to you.. For your reference, I have included a picture below of the extra name in the Mac address field, I just strip it back out whenever you reference the field in the code. I also removed the extra text in the header line..... and included a version of the file as well (based off of your 380.58 release). Note the uploaded file is a zip, I added the .txt extension so I can upload the file... (would not allow zip)... Note that the changes amount to only about 20 or so lines of code..

Either way, thanks a lot for the great work you have done !

Sample.png

Attachments

• Advanced_DHCP_Content.asp.zip.txt
    8 KB · Views: 209
One other comment, the edit function still works on all the fields, It just ignores the custom name when populating the Mac Address field.. so all functionality you added is still there, although I do not allow editing of the custom name field on this page, its modified and added from the client map pages..

The changes were actually quite simple limited and I believe would be simple to carry along since they are in line with your code, up to you.. For your reference, I have included a picture below of the extra name in the Mac address field, I just strip it back out whenever you reference the field in the code. I also removed the extra text in the header line..... and included a version of the file as well (based off of your 380.58 release). Note the uploaded file is a zip, I added the .txt extension so I can upload the file... (would not allow zip)... Note that the changes amount to only about 20 or so lines of code..

Either way, thanks a lot for the great work you have done !

Sorry, I thought you meant in the pulldown menu, which uses the new networkmap code (that code has changed even further in GPL 380_2345/2695 BTW, took me an evening just to integrate it on the DNSFilter page, as an experiment). I'll take a look at it once I'm done merging/debugging 380_2695.

Sorry, I thought you meant in the pulldown menu, which uses the new networkmap code (that code has changed even further in GPL 380_2345/2695 BTW, took me an evening just to integrate it on the DNSFilter page, as an experiment). I'll take a look at it once I'm done merging/debugging 380_2695.

No problem, I sent you my version earlier, pretty simple stuff (concerning the change I did) once I figured out what was going on... You can easily see the deltas and will see I did not have to do much to add it, I am sure you could even clean up my changes to make them even more stream lined...

Might play some more with the code on other stuff once I get more familiar on how to do things.. Not much documentation out there, so it takes a bit to figure things out.. Running debugger in browser helps to look around somewhat.. nvram command documentation is limited but used the show command to see whats there as far as variables.... noticed code does not like safari as much (misses devices on monitor screen for example fire tv stick not sure why it always misses that guy, seems to be better on chrome, i am more of a mac user that windows)

I ended up merging full support for Asus's latest networkmap-related support, including showing offline clients in the dropdown, and displaying the user icon in the entry list.

dhcplease.png

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!