• ATTENTION! You'll notice a Prefix dropdown when you create a thread. If your post applies to one of the topics listed, please use that Prefix for your post. When browsing the thread list you can use the Prefix to filter the view.
  • ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

thelonelycoder

Part of the Furniture
Bingo! That’s it, Martin. Why didn’t I think of that? Refreshing the page does the trick. (For the record, identical behaviour in 3 different browsers, Edge, Safari and Chrome. But I’m sure that’s what you would have expected.)
Thought so, the page does not actually refresh for some reason.

thelonelycoder

Part of the Furniture
Just my opinion....
I tried to provide a simple way to support addons that doesn't require messing with the base firmware gui code (state.js/menuTree.js). I believe that multiple developers messing with that code is a recipe for disaster and eventually we'll get a conflict/breakage.
No worries, I'll go with your recommendation.

underdose

Regular Contributor
@thelonelycoder You don't need to use breadcrumb like page title (Addons - Diversion Ad-Blocking - Home) together with tabs, which also highlight/notify which page the user is on. That is called a duplicate and is a waste of space in terms of user experience/design. I'd advice to remove that if not necessary.
Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 15.59.43.png

CriticJay

I'm beginning to regret ever adding the "Addons" area.

it's not too late to prevent future confusion ... :)

If you are the only developer using that spot, you could just rename that tab "JackYazScripts" or something :)

thelonelycoder

Part of the Furniture
@thelonelycoder You don't need to use breadcrumb like page title (Addons - Diversion Ad-Blocking - Home) together with tabs, which also highlight/notify which page the user is on. That is called a duplicate and is a waste of space in terms of user experience/design. I'd advice to remove that if not necessary. View attachment 23858
Stop wasting my time, all other pages have that breadcrumb.

jorgsmash

Regular Contributor
Hi all. Reading through the discussion here (not all of it, but still), it seems that Diversion is not capable of blocking ads on YouTube. I found this article https://www.marki-online.net/myblog/how-to-block-ads-on-youtube-on-smart-tv/ which discusses OpenWRT and a package called 'adblock' which they installed. Would a package like this be supported on ASUS Merlin-WRT or no? I get so many damn YouTube ads on my Smart TV it's like watching ads with a bit of video sprinkled in between. It's truly so annoying I just want to stop using YouTube/Google Services all together.

Sorry if this has been asked/covered many times in the past or if this isn't the right place to ask this question.

Thanks for everyone's help!

HairyA00

Hi all. Reading through the discussion here (not all of it, but still), it seems that Diversion is not capable of blocking ads on YouTube. I found this article https://www.marki-online.net/myblog/how-to-block-ads-on-youtube-on-smart-tv/ which discusses OpenWRT and a package called 'adblock' which they installed. Would a package like this be supported on ASUS Merlin-WRT or no? I get so many damn YouTube ads on my Smart TV it's like watching ads with a bit of video sprinkled in between. It's truly so annoying I just want to stop using YouTube/Google Services all together.

Sorry if this has been asked/covered many times in the past or if this isn't the right place to ask this question.

https://diversion.ch/faq-reader/can-diversion-block-youtube-ads.html

thelonelycoder

Part of the Furniture

It's a four year old article, the world has moved on to almost unblock-able YouTube ads. If you want to try the experimental YouTube video ads blocking in Diversion, you may enable it in b.

jorgsmash

Regular Contributor
It's a four year old article, the world has moved on to almost unblock-able YouTube ads. If you want to try the experimental YouTube video ads blocking in Diversion, you may enable it in b.

AWESOME! Thank you so much! Yeah sorry I didn't realize it was that old and I know most YT ads are served on the same domains as the actual videos so blocking the ads can be challenging. But thank you again! I'll continue to look for more updated methods of blocking them and try out the experimental option :)

jorgsmash

Regular Contributor
Is there a log file I can review to see if ads are being blocked? Youtube doesn't play ads on every video so it's tough to know if an ad was blocked or if an ad just wasn't displayed.

thelonelycoder

Part of the Furniture

thelonelycoder

Part of the Furniture
Is there a log file I can review to see if ads are being blocked? Youtube doesn't play ads on every video so it's tough to know if an ad was blocked or if an ad just wasn't displayed.
Use f, it tails the /opt/var/log/dnsmasq.log

underdose

Regular Contributor
Stop wasting my time, all other pages have that breadcrumb.
No need to be rude sir, I was trying to be of help to reduce the clutter.
Anyways, I guess I've just stole a few more seconds from you, so here I am saying "I'm sorry" beforehand.

thelonelycoder

Part of the Furniture
No need to be rude sir, I was trying to be of help to reduce the clutter.
Anyways, I guess I've just stole a few more seconds from you, so here I am saying "I'm sorry" beforehand.
I‘m OK. You said I unnecessarily waste space, which I don’t for the stated reason and therefore wasting my time ;)

Huey11

New Around Here
Oeps never mind, this was about pixelserv and certificates generated by letsencrypt, but I misunderstood its working and found my answer (finally) in the pixelserv-tls thread...

Last edited:

Tom Dooley

New Around Here
I hope this is the right place to ask this, I searched but this seems to be the thread for all Diversion-related questions?

Anyway, I am having trouble using my Diversion DNS from a different subnet.

I have a wired LAN with my internet router on 10.0.0.x, and a wireless LAN 192.168.1.x with the RT-86U with MerlinWRT 384.17 and Diversion (latest version). To connect the two subnets, I have created a static route on each router to get to the other devices, which works just fine. I can SSH into the devices on the other subnet, and they all "see" each other. I disabled the firewall on the Asus and no blocking seems to happen (?).

The problem is that only the devices on the Wireless subnet (the MerlinWRT/Diversion) router are able to get DNS resolution. If I do a test dig @192.168.1.1 www.google.com from a device on 10.0.0.x, the request stalls and times out, and nothing is written into the the log. So the devices on my 10.0.0.x subnet are not able to use the Asus router as DNS, even though they can ping it. The same dig works flawlessly from devices on the 192.168.1.x subnet.

I was wondering if Diversion has some built-in rules that make it only accept requests from its own subnet? Or maybe MerlinWRT still has some firewall rules active even though I disabled the Firewall in the GUI?

I'd be happy for any hints where to look or what to check.

Thank you!

Last edited: