What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Any ideas on how to block the type=65 requests? Or will that require an update to Diversion?
That's outside of Diversion's control capabilities. AFAICT this would have to be implemented by the Dnsmasq developer to allow these types of queries be altered by a hosts entry, or any other Dnsmasq option.

Since these queries are generally followed by a A or AAAA type query for the same domain and then are blocked (if the domain is in fact blocked by Diversion), the impact at the moment is low.

That's outside of Diversion's control capabilities. AFAICT this would have to be implemented by the Dnsmasq developer to allow these types of queries be altered by a hosts entry, or any other Dnsmasq option.

Since these queries are generally followed by a A or AAAA type query for the same domain and then are blocked (if the domain is in fact blocked by Diversion), the impact at the moment is low.
I’ve seen a large increase in ads since ios14/apps started using this. The problem seems to be that Diversion is allowing through the initial type=65 request and then blocking the following A one. Since the type=65 comes first, ads seem to be loading. Anything using iAds is leaking through, as is doubleclick. Probably some others, but those seem to be the most prominent ones I've been noticing.

Are you saying that because of the following A request being blocked, it would prevent the earlier type=65 one from being displayed? I might be missing something or misunderstanding you, because I don't see how this would be low impact given ads are being served from blacklisted domains. Diversion's effectiveness has decreased over the last couple weeks for me, presumably because of this.

2020-09-26 06:19static.doubleclick.net192.168.1.133ABlocked (blocking list)
2020-09-26 06:19static.doubleclick.net192.168.1.133type=65Allowed
2020-09-26 06:19static-doubleclick-net.l.google.com192.168.1.133ABlocked (blocking list)
2020-09-26 06:19static-doubleclick-net.l.google.com192.168.1.133type=65Allowed
2020-09-26 06:19pagead46.l.doubleclick.net192.168.1.133AAllowed
2020-09-26 06:19pagead46.l.doubleclick.net192.168.1.133type=65Allowed
2020-09-26 06:19googleads.g.doubleclick.net192.168.1.133ABlocked (blocking list)
2020-09-26 06:19googleads.g.doubleclick.net192.168.1.133type=65Allowed

I’ve seen a large increase in ads since ios14/apps started using this. The problem seems to be that Diversion is allowing through the initial type=65 request and then blocking the following A one. Since the type=65 comes first, ads seem to be loading. Anything using iAds is leaking through, as is doubleclick. Probably some others, but those seem to be the most prominent ones I've been noticing.

Are you saying that because of the following A request being blocked, it would prevent the earlier type=65 one from being displayed? I might be missing something or misunderstanding you, because I don't see how this would be low impact given ads are being served from blacklisted domains. Diversion's effectiveness has decreased over the last couple weeks for me, presumably because of this.

2020-09-26 06:19static.doubleclick.net192.168.1.133ABlocked (blocking list)
2020-09-26 06:19static.doubleclick.net192.168.1.133type=65Allowed
2020-09-26 06:19static-doubleclick-net.l.google.com192.168.1.133ABlocked (blocking list)
2020-09-26 06:19static-doubleclick-net.l.google.com192.168.1.133type=65Allowed
2020-09-26 06:19pagead46.l.doubleclick.net192.168.1.133AAllowed
2020-09-26 06:19pagead46.l.doubleclick.net192.168.1.133type=65Allowed
2020-09-26 06:19googleads.g.doubleclick.net192.168.1.133ABlocked (blocking list)
2020-09-26 06:19googleads.g.doubleclick.net192.168.1.133type=65Allowed
It's not Diversion that can change that behaviour of allowing those type 56 queries to go through, despite the blocking/blacklisting. Dnsmasq handels that and currently there's no way of forcing it to also block these queries.

Ah, I see. That is unfortunate. I had really been enjoying the ability to block everything on my iPhones and iPads. I hope somebody comes up with a way to have dnsmasq handle that, because there doesn't seem to be any user level controls to disable it in iOS 14.

My pixelserv is somehow broken.

I tried a complete usb format and Format JFFS partition but with a new and fresh install the problem remains.

This is the error i keep having:

pixelserv-tls: relocation error: /opt/lib/libpthread.so.0: symbol __sched_get_priority_max version GLIBC_2.17 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference
/opt/bin/grep: relocation error: /opt/bin/grep: symbol close version GLIBC_2.17 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference

Does anyone know what is going on?

There is no way to enable the blocking list update through the UI options if Diversion is disabled or ad-blocking is set to off. What would be the point?
However, you can run this command periodically manually or by setting a cron job, provided Diversion has been set up properly:
Code:
sh /opt/share/diversion/file/update-bl.div

thanks, this was working for me. i am integrating block list from diversion to unbound blocking.

I recently updated my firmware on my AC68U.

Also then needed to uninstall & reinstall Diversion, Udivstats and Skynet as I noticed that the tabs were missing from the Merlin rounter UI.

Thing is that I can see the Skynet and Udivstats tabs now. But... I can't see the Diversion tab under LAN. Tried eveything...forced updates, resstarts etc. I'm sure I had it there before! Any idea how to get it back?

Cheers

Will.

I recently updated my firmware on my AC68U.

Also then needed to uninstall & reinstall Diversion, Udivstats and Skynet as I noticed that the tabs were missing from the Merlin rounter UI.

Thing is that I can see the Skynet and Udivstats tabs now. But... I can't see the Diversion tab under LAN. Tried eveything...forced updates, resstarts etc. I'm sure I had it there before! Any idea how to get it back?

Cheers

Will.
You need to re-enable the beta feature in diversion d, 10 if you haven't.
diversion beta.jpg

Ah, I see. That is unfortunate. I had really been enjoying the ability to block everything on my iPhones and iPads. I hope somebody comes up with a way to have dnsmasq handle that, because there doesn't seem to be any user level controls to disable it in iOS 14.
In your wifi settings, are you using the private address?

It doesn't. I thought the same thing and tried it both ways with no success on my iPhone. The ads seem to appear on Safari and not on Firefox so I went into Settings and opened Safari. In the General Section there is an item called Content Blockers which upon opening showed one blocker -- Firefox Focus which is installed on my phone. After turning it on it seems that ads are again being blocked.

iOS content blockers will work for browsers. Not apps that insert their own ads. That’s why Diversion was great on iOS devices pre-iOS 14.

Virus or no? I got this from email with my weekly backup from diversion. Is it legit, reckon? What's weird, I got my email with backup same time as I got this from google.
Part of which was:

[TABLE] [TR] [TD][TABLE] [TR] [TD][TABLE] [TR] [TD][SIZE=6][B] Message may contain a virus [/B][/SIZE][/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Your message wasn't delivered to [B]MExxxxxx@gmail.com[/B] because it may contain a virus. Learn how to check for and prevent viruses.[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD][URL='https://support.google.com/mail/?p=BlockedMessage']LEARN MORE[/URL][/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE][/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE][/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD][LEFT]The response was: 552 5.7.0 This message was blocked because its content presents a potential security issue. Please visit https://support.google.com/mail/?p=BlockedMessage to review our message content and attachment content guidelines. n36sor6381976qte.62 - gsmtp[/LEFT][/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

I just wanted to say how awesome this is. Can't belive the GUI interface is in progress now... I didn't realise this. I would *never* buy an Internet connected router that can't run Merlin + Diversion. It just wouldn't happen! Thank you. :):):):)

Virus or no? I got this from email with my weekly backup from diversion. Is it legit, reckon? What's weird, I got my email with backup same time as I got this from google.
Part of which was:

[TABLE] [TR] [TD][TABLE] [TR] [TD][TABLE] [TR] [TD][SIZE=6][B] Message may contain a virus [/B][/SIZE][/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Your message wasn't delivered to [B]MExxxxxx@gmail.com[/B] because it may contain a virus. Learn how to check for and prevent viruses.[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD][URL='https://support.google.com/mail/?p=BlockedMessage']LEARN MORE[/URL][/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE][/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE][/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD][LEFT]The response was: 552 5.7.0 This message was blocked because its content presents a potential security issue. Please visit https://support.google.com/mail/?p=BlockedMessage to review our message content and attachment content guidelines. n36sor6381976qte.62 - gsmtp[/LEFT][/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

Gmail doesn't like zip files, change your settings to send individual files.

Can anyone link me to the post about changing the functionality of the buttons on the router? I would like to be able to have a dedicated button that switches between the two blocklists. That way if my wife is having an issue with something being blocked she can press the button and it will switch over to the smaller block list. I know I've seen a post on this topic I just can't find it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!