What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Quick question... ads seem to be getting through now...

As troubleshooting steps, I just ran the update and re-downloaded all the blocking lists in the GUI. If I Follow the dnsmasq log, it SHOWS lots of domains being blocked, but going to sportingnews or foxnews or wunderground (etc.) all bring up plenty of ads... so I dunno what it actually IS blocking. I'm used to all of them being ad-free.

Also double-checked that my computer is using the router for DNS...

Suggestions?

It is important that the first and last letter in each word is correct, you may only mix up letters inside to remain easy readable!
I had to raed that tciwe to rzilaee you illanoitnetny did taht to us. But I get it now.

Quick question... ads seem to be getting through now...

As troubleshooting steps, I just ran the update and re-downloaded all the blocking lists in the GUI. If I Follow the dnsmasq log, it SHOWS lots of domains being blocked, but going to sportingnews or foxnews or wunderground (etc.) all bring up plenty of ads... so I dunno what it actually IS blocking. I'm used to all of them being ad-free.

Also double-checked that my computer is using the router for DNS...

Suggestions?
Not a single ad on all three websites for me with the standard blocking list. Are you on cellular network?

Nope; Spectrum cable.

2019-07-21-Diversion.png

Haven't seen that signature in a while :);)
:D

Try using a different Browser, maybe yours does it's own (unhelpful) domain resolution.
This was exceptionally helpful. Seems the problem was limited to Chrome on one machine... flushed the Chrome DNS cache and all is right with the world. No idea how it would have cached adservers though...? Weird. I checked a couple other machines on the network and this was the only one with the problem. Weird weird weird

:confused:

English - detected!

View attachment 18707
This is cleverer than you think !!!

I tried this with the same text with all the 'correctly' spelled (spelt) words removed.

It still detects English as the language ..... so must allow for misspellings !!!
Note that some of the misspellings are where the letter order has been changed due to getting ahead of the 'stream' when typing.
Such as, spellnig for spelling etc

I wonder if each word is checked for a match with a checksum of all the letters as well as for spelling, so that as long as you have used *all* the correct letters, regardless of order, a match can be found !!??

Diversion install/uninstall process wiped out everything in /jffs ........scripts and configs
Reformatting/jffs created an empty /jffs/scripts and /jffs/configs folders
tried to run manually in putty terminal, commands:

admin@RT-N66U-EB10:/# curl -Os https://diversion.ch/install && sh install
admin@RT-N66U-EB10:/# curl -Os https://diversion.ch/amtm/install && sh install

Interestingly, neither command entered gave any reply or did anything !!
Any suggestion what is going on ?
It won’t work from the root directory since it’s read-only. cd /tmp/home/root first.

thanks, it works now
too bad they failed to mention this small details on DIVERSION.CH ......section INSTALL
It's unusual to find yourself in the root directory accidentally - the home directory (the default) is a r/w area

There's a cosmetic typo in the diversion script: "is not an $NAME file" should be "is not a $NAME file" since $NAME is Diversion, not AB-Solution anymore (;

what is the main difference in the small block file vs the standard, I have tested both and see no difference.

Number of blocked domains. In case you need details check the blocking file maintainers websites mentioned in the selection page.

Last edited:
Number of blocked domains. In case you need details check the blocking file mainterners websites mentioned in the selection page.
From what I notice the quantity of blocked domains is roughly the same. Size of block files is roughly the same as well and after inspecting the listed maintainers the blocked domains listed are about the same. So I am at the conclusion there is no real difference for the average user.

From what I notice the quantity of blocked domains is roughly the same. Size of block files is roughly the same as well and after inspecting the listed maintainers the blocked domains listed are about the same. So I am at the conclusion there is no real difference for the average user.

Most websites use similar ad hosting services so you'll find same entries in all hosts block lists.

I am using Diversion Lite because when I use the Diversion Standard installation, some commercial websites do not work (example is Amazon Shopping app on Android). I've searched the forums and haven't found any clear answers on if this is resolvable; I would definitely like to give pixelserv-tls another shot, but not if commercial websites are causing issues. I am intimately familiar with white-listing domains, and have gone down that path to no avail. I'm wondering if the issue is truly one of white-listing? I've tailed the log live, and nothing indicates that any domains are being blocked when the infamous "oops, there's something wrong in our side" message appears. Don't get me wrong, Diversion Lite with some minor tweaks and SkyNet are fantastic; my network is amazing.

Is anyone aware of a workaround? Searching the forums leads to dead-ends.
Is it simply par for the course that some of the big guys (Amazon, Google, etc) are just going to have issues when running a pixelserv-tls server?

I am relatively new to Diversion, but not new to DNS sinkholing and troubleshooting. Any thoughts? Maybe I am just expecting it to work out of the box and perhaps there is something additional I should be doing (albeit I would prefer to not install certificates across the 30 devices on this network).

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!