What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

if you have Winscp and gpedit
or
if you ssh into the terminal and /cd to the blacklist location
you can always copy and paste the list straight to it, but then you have to access diversion menu and process the new list.
you can only add a thousand.
Ok...thanks.
I need to cd to a "location" as in a file with all the domains? And, what is the "process" Item 3-"process blacklist"?
Also, How can I make a backup of the blacklist and where is it stored?

1. Add domain
2. Delete domain
3. Process blacklist
4. Sort and verify blacklist
5. Restore blacklist from backup
6. Set domain active / inactive (#! )
7. Use hosted blacklist

Much obliged, regards,
Buk

Welcome to the forum!

Set the DNS of your choice, Google, Cleanbrowsing, Quad9, whatever. Set under Wan, (& IPv6 if applicable).
Or, via Dns privacy - DoT, use the preset/s of your choice.

Then go to,

LAN> DNS Filter > Enable dns based filtering. Global Filter Mode = Router. All Custom user defined dns fields set to ‘blank’.
This will ensure what you have set as Wan dns (or DoT) is enforced.

Pixelserv 2.3.0 set up detail here:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/diversion-the-router-ad-blocker.48538/page-186#post-516424

This should hopefully turn your router into an ad blocking machine!

Thanks for the quick response. Checked those settings and updated to 2.3.0 but no change. Ads are still greyed out or whitespace still exists where they should be. Do my Diversion stats look nominal?

Capture.PNG

Cheers,

Taylor

Thanks for the quick response. Checked those settings and updated to 2.3.0 but no change. Ads are still greyed out or whitespace still exists where they should be. Do my Diversion stats look nominal?

View attachment 20359

Cheers,

Taylor

Were you able to import & save a certificate in each client device ok?

Re stats, I would give it a few days & see how they ramp up (or not).

For what it’s worth, depending on the site I get grey space/white space sometimes......

Still getting ads on laptop but not on handset, i have ovpn running on my router and can access it remotley from both, diversion works on the handset but not on the laptop, both connected via ovpn, i have installed the crt many times in the correct location for local machine, any ideas why this is ? Tested using okla speedtest, loads of ads on it, when using my handset, no ads at all, when on the laptop all the Ad choices ads show
Have you set global filter mode to Router as in the post above yours?

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/diversion-the-router-ad-blocker.48538/page-223#post-533586

Were you able to import & save a certificate in each client device ok?

Ok after a bit of googling as to what you meant, yes I believe I have done this (installed ca.crt from 192.168.1.2) on my PC and android phone. No change. Guess I'll have to live with white space *shrugs*

Just so I'm clear, pixelserv should be 'hiding' these ads/banners completely right?

Cheers

Ok after a bit of googling as to what you meant, yes I believe I have done this (installed ca.crt from 192.168.1.2) on my PC and android phone. No change. Guess I'll have to live with white space *shrugs*

Just so I'm clear, pixelserv should be 'hiding' these ads/banners completely right?

Cheers

Re certificates: yes, import, & save in the client device’s certificate store/repository.

Ads should pretty much all be blocked by Diversion/Pixelserv.
With some sites, you will see where the blocked ads would have been if they weren’t blocked. (Placeholders?).
Other sites are just pristine ad free. YMMV.:)

Re certificates: yes, import, & save in the client device’s certificate store/repository.

Ads should pretty much all be blocked by Diversion/Pixelserv.
With some sites, you will see where the blocked ads would have been if they weren’t blocked. (Placeholders?).
Other sites are just pristine ad free. YMMV.:)

Cheers for the help mate.

Last edited:

Cheers
Diversion/pixelserv will remove the banners, yes. Remove the white space, no. All they do is block connections to domains, they don’t modify the html inline. You’ll need a browser extension or similar to do that.

Diversion/pixelserv will remove the banners, yes. Remove the white space, no. All they do is block connections to domains, they don’t modify the html inline. You’ll need a browser extension or similar to do that.

Ah dang. So basically a bespoke application on each device is the ideal solution for complete ad blocking?

I'm a complete noob at this - I suppose you need some technical knowledge to get this going: I tried following the instructions on Diversion.ch but I don't know the smaller details on how to run the scripts in Notepad++. I suppose there are specific settings I need to make in the router to get the SSH Terminal running. I've made the following changes in the router:
1) Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs: Yes
2) Enable SSH: LAN + WAN

I want to format my USB stick using the script for the SSH Terminal first but I don't know how! :(

I'm a complete noob at this - I suppose you need some technical knowledge to get this going: I tried following the instructions on Diversion.ch but I don't know the smaller details on how to run the scripts in Notepad++. I suppose there are specific settings I need to make in the router to get the SSH Terminal running. I've made the following changes in the router:

I want to format my USB stick using the script for the SSH Terminal first but I don't know how! :(

I assume that you're using a Windows PC to access your router. You need a SSH client on your PC, PuTTY is a popular choice - https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/ . Download, install and run PuTTY. Enter the ip address of your router, PuTTY defaults to SSH on port 22. Click on the 'Open' button, your should get a window with a 'login as:' prompt, enter the user name/password you've set for router admin. Then follow the Diversion website instructions.

Also look at amtm on the diversion.ch website, it can install several scripts that will assist you to format a USB drive, create swap space, etc.

Get an SSH terminal first, Windows Terminal from the Windows 10 Store works great. Login to your router by using port 22 (unless you changed that which I recommend doing). Type the following line at the console prompt without the parenthesis: [YourRouterLoginName@router.asus.com -p 22]

Start by installing AMTM first:
curl -Os https://diversion.ch/amtm/amtm && sh amtm
Type amtm at the console prompt to start the script
Now you can format the USB drive with command fd
choose any of the suggested file systems (read more about file systems over here https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Disk-formatting)
After that's done you can install Diversion and Skynet by following the instruction posted when running the install scripts.

FYI for safety reasons don't turn SSH WAN access on. Just use LAN

Have a look at the link in my signature for a link to the amtm Step-by-Step Guide for further help.

I assume that you're using a Windows PC to access your router. You need a SSH client on your PC, PuTTY is a popular choice - https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/ . Download, install and run PuTTY. Enter the ip address of your router, PuTTY defaults to SSH on port 22. Click on the 'Open' button, your should get a window with a 'login as:' prompt, enter the user name/password you've set for router admin. Then follow the Diversion website instructions.

Also look at amtm on the diversion.ch website, it can install several scripts that will assist you to format a USB drive, create swap space, etc.

This is a great help! I just got Diversion installed!

how to check if the script is working? i always have popups and ads maybe that are fine but i dont know

i use asuswrt merlin for a r7000 router. i set up only static ip for devices and dns settings changed to google dns 9.9.9.9 firewall is aktiv

so is diversion working ?

Last edited:
I'm setting up an Asus AC66u B1 with Merlin at my brothers house.
I will need DoT with CF and Diversion.
I only used Pinhole for adblocking. Considering to abandon Pihole and use Diversion. How do I add Pihole blocklists to Diversion? Is there a way to convert these lists to Diversion format? Thanks

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!