What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@TheLyppardMan, go into the script you would like to uninstall via amtm and choose from the options within.

You need to go into the actual script and uninstall it from there.
Thanks. I've uninstalled Diversion now as it was causing the CPU on one or more cores of my RT-AX88U to keep going up to 100% every minute or so.

Thanks. I've uninstalled Diversion now as it was causing the CPU on one or more cores of my RT-AX88U to keep going up to 100% every minute or so.

Something else is causing that on your router, Diversion doesn't do that, me and many others users are using Diversion on RT-AX88U without any issues.

i finally stopped using diversion :oops:

it's no longer just blocking ads
it's blocking retail referral links
and non commercial video hosts.

i really wish coder would allow us
to better distinguish what is an "ad".
i'm done white listing everything i do o_O

diversion may be great for offices that
wanna block everything non commercial
but it sux for consumers relaxing at home.

I came to the same conclusion. It became a constant battle to keep my wife’s internet working. I have resigned that ads are just the price of using the internet today.

I came to the same conclusion. It became a constant battle to keep my wife’s internet working. I have resigned that ads are just the price of using the internet today.
These are valid points of view and I can understand why you might come to that conclusion, especially as it pertains to wives... However, what is and isn’t blocked is solely a function of which lists you’re using. I have long advocated for small, conservative block lists for these reasons.

Diversion have nothing to do with it, it just blocks what your blocking file blocks, use a smaller blocking file and you won't get any issues. I've always been against the idea of blocking millions and millions of useless domains on your router. A carefully curated lists of ad/tracking domains as per your network use is one million times better.

I don't want to see any ads when I'm surfing. I am reading/researching. Not looking to buy something. :)

When/if I want to buy something? I go reading/researching for that. ;)

When I have guests over and they mention the 'internet' isn't working (i.e. blocking the ads), I say that is the way it's supposed to work and point them to the real 'hits' of their search a few clicks further down.

Diversion is indispensable for giving me what I want from the web (and not the other way around). And when I'm not home, OpenVPN allows me to enjoy that same experience too. :)

I was using the Diversion default install, so not sure the size of the list(s). Also that famous quote “happy wife, happy life” is very true. If I have one thing after 47 years of marriage it’s this is very true. :)

I was using the Diversion default install, so not sure the size of the list(s). Also that famous quote “happy wife, happy life” is very true. If I have one thing after 47 years of marriage it’s this is very true. :)

If you're interested I can give you my list of pure hard-core ads ONLY wildcard domains list which you'll need to use in Diversion as a Hosted Wildcard list.

It only contains 549 entries and should block all known kinds of Advertising domains.

@Asad Ali, sounds like something you need to share with all of us? :)

Everyone's usage of the Internet is different.
While the Standard blocking list that Diversion uses is good for about 60% of the users, a larger (like I use) or smaller list is better.
Diversion is infinitely configurable what one blocks.
It even has the option to use two blocking lists at the same time, for selected devices. Some call it the wife mode.
I suggest to try one very small and conservatively curated list instead of the pre-set lists that Diversion has built in: https://pgl.yoyo.org/adservers/serv...&showintro=0&mimetype=plaintext&useip=0.0.0.0

use a smaller blocking file and you won't get any issues. .

that's simply untrue. i use small, lite whatever coder calls it, and still keep having to use a vpn client on my pc to get past diversion to do anything at home (i know it's diversion, not my browser, dns, anti-malware or firewalls). i understand about list-keepers - years ago i used to block ads in Win7 using HOSTS file. but coder is not making the kind of distinctions home router uses may need to avoid most ads, while still being able to shop, stream, game and forum without getting so many unresolved urls. look, you guys can blow me off, i don't really care, but coder is painting his app into a corner by being too brutal against how the online economy works now in 2020 with referral links and trackers and overseas hosts that some list keeper ruled out because it may have once offended somebody.

Last edited:
that's simply untrue. i use small, lite whatever coder calls it, and still keep having to use a vpn client on my pc to get past diversion to do anything at home (i know it's diversion, not my browser, dns, anti-malware or firewalls). i understand about list-keepers - years ago i used to block ads in Win7 using HOSTS file. but coder is not making the kind of distinctions home router uses may need to avoid most ads, while still being able to shop, stream, game and forum without getting so many unresolved urls. look, you guys can blow me off, i don't really care, but coder is painting his app into a corner by being too brutal against how the online economy works now in 2020 with referral links and trackers and overseas hosts that some list keeper ruled out because it may have once offended somebody.

If you're too unhappy with the lists available online just make one yourself instead of blaming it all on the developers/maintainers.

Then you should understand that I have no control over what those host lists providers add to their lists.
You can use any hosts file, even a self curated list if you want. I and with it Diversion won't stop you doing so.

Just to be clear, I really like Diversion. It works well for me, just not so much for the wife. I had thought about setting up another cheap router off the isp modem just for her devices. :)

Just to be clear, I really like Diversion. It works well for me, just not so much for the wife. I had thought about setting up another cheap router off the isp modem just for her devices. :)
Did you read my post above about the alternate blocking list, aka wife mode? It's built into Diversion.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!