What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Doesn't work for me at all. I made a short video showing what happens to me on my Android devices. Sorry for the bad camera work but hopefully it's visible enough to get my point across on my experience.

A lot of apps, including some YouTube implementations, hard code in a default DNS. Often these are 8.8.8.8. You should block all outgoing DNS from everything but your DNS device.
Our Sony TV was doing this.

Setup an OpenVPN server on your router, and always connect to it from your mobile devices, that way you can benefit from Diversion "anywhere".

And don't forget to set this option in the OpenVPN server advanced settings to yes:
upload_2020-5-12_17-24-35.png

Last edited:
VPN into your home’s secure router when off your wifi. I’m not even out of the driveway when my phone flips it on.

I get that, but it seems a bit excessive, when (Android users) can just install Vanced. I am not saying Diversion blocking YT ads isn't a good thing, only that it will have no impact on Vanced, they are in entirely different ballparks.

Hmmm...that seems a bit like IFTTT meets Apple's Shortcuts.
Pretty much but it works great for my single use :)

I saw your comment here and it will be great if someone with the proper knowledge and some time can make a separate thread with an step by step guide on how to accomplish this
Thank you.
Create a new thread and let others chime in with their preferences/suggestions

It's way easier than all this:

In your router Web-UI, go to DNSFilter under LAN.
- Set 'Enable DNS-based Filtering' to ON.
- Set 'Global Filter Mode' to 'Router'.
- Click Apply.
That was already setup before. Ads still appear.

That was already setup before. Ads still appear.

As you read during the initial setup, some ads will still appear and they will decrease once the googlevideo subdomains are populated and start to get reused.

In any case it's all experimental for now and it's possible that it won't work as expected for some guys.

Hi,

Are these little semi-translucent ads handled by Diversion's YouTube ad blocking capabilities (see attached)?

Anton
Annotation 2020-05-12 214102.jpg

Reactions: a5m
YT Ad blocking topic...after enabling the function in Diversion, what's the learning required? Been using YT (not signed in as a user) for last 4-5 hours, Ads still appearing after each or second music video? Technical setup RT-AX88U on 384.18 alpha 1, Diversion 4.1.12, Skynet, Unbound etc.
| Tried closing & opening Firefox browser, which as per 'Security & Privacy' setting would flush cache didn't help. After I rebooted my desktop, now the YT Ads slowly being blocked. Within an hour of playing music videos, none. This function is really cool!! Thks, yippee...

Last edited:
VPN into your home’s secure router when off your wifi. I’m not even out of the driveway when my phone flips it on.
I get that, but it seems a bit excessive, when (Android users) can just install Vanced. I am not saying Diversion blocking YT ads isn't a good thing, only that it will have no impact on Vanced, they are in entirely different ballparks.

I'm guessing that @heysoundude is turning on their vpn when they leave their house mainly for general ad blocking when they are not at home as well as security if they connect to a public hotspot. The blocking of YouTube ads is just icing on the cake.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!