What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sorry, Martin: no difference; when I select one of the other tabs, I still have to wait for the swirling circle to complete, and then - because the original tab remains on show - have to select that new tab a second time (and wait for the swirling circle to complete) before it will switch to the new selected tab. And it makes no difference which of the 3 tabs is selected to switch to.

Tried also with my iPad (as well as my iPhone) but same thing.

If I’m the only one who has this, then clearly it’s not worth wasting time on.
Instead of clicking the button again after, what shows when your refresh the page?

Instead of clicking the button again after, what shows when your refresh the page?
Bingo! That’s it, Martin. Why didn’t I think of that? Refreshing the page does the trick. (For the record, identical behaviour in 3 different browsers, Edge, Safari and Chrome. But I’m sure that’s what you would have expected.)

Bingo! That’s it, Martin. Why didn’t I think of that? Refreshing the page does the trick. (For the record, identical behaviour in 3 different browsers, Edge, Safari and Chrome. But I’m sure that’s what you would have expected.)
Thought so, the page does not actually refresh for some reason.

Just my opinion....
I tried to provide a simple way to support addons that doesn't require messing with the base firmware gui code (state.js/menuTree.js). I believe that multiple developers messing with that code is a recipe for disaster and eventually we'll get a conflict/breakage.
No worries, I'll go with your recommendation.

@thelonelycoder You don't need to use breadcrumb like page title (Addons - Diversion Ad-Blocking - Home) together with tabs, which also highlight/notify which page the user is on. That is called a duplicate and is a waste of space in terms of user experience/design. I'd advice to remove that if not necessary.
Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 15.59.43.png

I'm beginning to regret ever adding the "Addons" area.

it's not too late to prevent future confusion ... :)

If you are the only developer using that spot, you could just rename that tab "JackYazScripts" or something :)

@thelonelycoder You don't need to use breadcrumb like page title (Addons - Diversion Ad-Blocking - Home) together with tabs, which also highlight/notify which page the user is on. That is called a duplicate and is a waste of space in terms of user experience/design. I'd advice to remove that if not necessary. View attachment 23858
Stop wasting my time, all other pages have that breadcrumb.

Hi all. Reading through the discussion here (not all of it, but still), it seems that Diversion is not capable of blocking ads on YouTube. I found this article https://www.marki-online.net/myblog/how-to-block-ads-on-youtube-on-smart-tv/ which discusses OpenWRT and a package called 'adblock' which they installed. Would a package like this be supported on ASUS Merlin-WRT or no? I get so many damn YouTube ads on my Smart TV it's like watching ads with a bit of video sprinkled in between. It's truly so annoying I just want to stop using YouTube/Google Services all together.

Sorry if this has been asked/covered many times in the past or if this isn't the right place to ask this question.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Hi all. Reading through the discussion here (not all of it, but still), it seems that Diversion is not capable of blocking ads on YouTube. I found this article https://www.marki-online.net/myblog/how-to-block-ads-on-youtube-on-smart-tv/ which discusses OpenWRT and a package called 'adblock' which they installed. Would a package like this be supported on ASUS Merlin-WRT or no? I get so many damn YouTube ads on my Smart TV it's like watching ads with a bit of video sprinkled in between. It's truly so annoying I just want to stop using YouTube/Google Services all together.

Sorry if this has been asked/covered many times in the past or if this isn't the right place to ask this question.

https://diversion.ch/faq-reader/can-diversion-block-youtube-ads.html

It's a four year old article, the world has moved on to almost unblock-able YouTube ads. If you want to try the experimental YouTube video ads blocking in Diversion, you may enable it in b.

It's a four year old article, the world has moved on to almost unblock-able YouTube ads. If you want to try the experimental YouTube video ads blocking in Diversion, you may enable it in b.

AWESOME! Thank you so much! Yeah sorry I didn't realize it was that old and I know most YT ads are served on the same domains as the actual videos so blocking the ads can be challenging. But thank you again! I'll continue to look for more updated methods of blocking them and try out the experimental option :)

Is there a log file I can review to see if ads are being blocked? Youtube doesn't play ads on every video so it's tough to know if an ad was blocked or if an ad just wasn't displayed.

Is there a log file I can review to see if ads are being blocked? Youtube doesn't play ads on every video so it's tough to know if an ad was blocked or if an ad just wasn't displayed.
Use f, it tails the /opt/var/log/dnsmasq.log

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!