What's new

Does asus only support Samba/SMB1? Is it possible to enable SMB2 or higher?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GoldenOne

New Around Here
So I recently bought a GT-AC5300, and so far I love everything about it. BUT, the one thing that im a little annoyed about it the lack of compatibility for network storage.

I was hoping to use it as a NAS, with a hard drive plugged in. I've got it set up with FTP and a software called "WebDrive" for now, which is working well.
But only because I cannot get the Network Place/Samba share working.

I enable it, and in windows it tells me the device is using the outdated and insecure SMB1 protocol, and it needs to be SMB2 or higher. (SMB3 has been out since vista.....)

Is it not possible to enable a newer version of SMB on this router?

I see that the merlin firmware supports SMB2, but unfortunately merlin does not run on the GT-AC5300.

Would anyone be able to help?
Thanks

for internal usage it is still quite safe to use (what I read here in the forum about it).

Normally SMB2 is possible on Asus routers with Merlin firmware, and I see there is a version of Merlin firmware for your router, so you can try it if you're comfortable with flashing custom FW on your devices.

The stock firmware uses Samba 3.0.xx, which only supports SMB1. Asus would need to upgrade to 3.6 or newer to gain SMB2 support.

The stock firmware uses Samba 3.0.xx, which only supports SMB1. Asus would need to upgrade to 3.6 or newer to gain SMB2 support.
Is there a chance that Asus will upgrade to use SMB2 in the near future? I have used the Merlin forks but would like to stick with the factory build.

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

Is there a chance that Asus will upgrade to use SMB2 in the near future? I have used the Merlin forks but would like to stick with the factory build.

Only they would know. I've seen them do some very limited Samba 3.6 work in the past, but they never went anywhere with what little work they did on it.

They could easily move to 3.6.25 just by merging my code in if they wanted to upgrade with a minimum amount of work. Up to them ultimately.