What's new

Dropping installed SSL certificate on RT-AC68U with 384.3

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rdy2

Regular Contributor
Yesterday I created a self-signed CA and created a certificate for the router as rt-ac68u-xxxx.athome.
I have a Windows hosts file that maps the hostname to 192.168.1.1. I installed the CERT on the router, which now reports that it should be accessed at https://rt-ac68u-xxxx.athome:8443.

I was able to install the CA certificate in Opera, and while at first Opera did not trust the router, it is now accepting login at https://rt-ac68u-xxxx.athome:8443. There is something odd with hanging half way on the rendering of the first page, but clicking on any links will get it into normal rendering and navigating. Very odd...

But Firefox (which I found makes almost impossible to install certificates) refuses to access the router. Unfortunately, Firefox is my preferred browser... so I decided to go to the router and drop the certificate and have it generate one.

Surprise, surprise ! Once a certificate has been installed, the GUI does not accept any related changes.

Is there a way to drop the certificate other than resetting the router and re-configuring ?

I guess I worked on the routers for too long the day before yesterday and did not recall what I had really done! Yesterday I was confused until I proceeded to reset the modem RT-AC68U and realized that this router, (or 384.3), does not have the GUI options to install CERTs. I have been working at the same time with a RT-N66U at 380.69_2, and it was on that router that I successfully installed the CERT and accessed it with Opera.

Yesterday, after resetting the AC68U, and enabling https, again, Opera could access it, but not Firefox. It took me a while on find that there were a bunch of accepted 192.168.1.1 certificates inside Firefox. Years worth of installs/resets of routers! I was able to delete them and after the cleanup, when I tried to access the router, Firefox complained about the CERT an took the exception properly. So I am back to business with the SSL...

Now the question is why did the GUI option go away? I recall vaguely seen a thread talking about installing the certificate by brute force, but I thought it was just the old ways.

It's not removed, but moved to another page...

(can't remember from the top of my head; the one with "Let's Encrypt" option; DDNS?)

It's not removed, but moved to another page...

(can't remember from the top of my head; the one with "Let's Encrypt" option; DDNS?)

Yes, there is a place to import certificate in DDNS. Does not make much sense to me, but if it works...

Thanks.

Yes, there is a place to import certificate in DDNS. Does not make much sense to me, but if it works...

Thanks.

Asus added the SSL management there because their Let's Encrypt functionality is directly tied to DDNS.