What's new

Dropping Wifi clients

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

demokedes

Occasional Visitor
Dear all,
I am using Asus RT-AC86U with Asuswrt-Merlin with two Asus ZenWifi Mesh nodes. I am also having optware installed on it with torrent client+OpenVPN server running on it. It is working fine. I realised several times, part of wifi clients are disconnected from unknown reason. I am not sure what is the patter for disconnected clients...are they connected to router ot to mesh nodes. Then I do restart of the system and it is working. Now I am on vacation and I connected to wifi remotely and I see that after several days, there is no wifi client connected, the only exception are the two mesh nodes.
All other services are operating normally on the router.
What should I check? What might be the reason. I am pretty sure, all clients will connect again, after I will do the reboot.
Any idea? Maybe some setting misconfiguration?
1683030399859.png

I am also adding last part of syslog and also some wifi Logs. Any idea?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-02 144500.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-05-02 144500.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 375
  • Screenshot 2023-05-02 144430.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-05-02 144430.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 377
  • LowLevel.txt
    2.1 KB · Views: 31
  • syslog.txt
    260 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Dear all,
I am using Asus RT-AC86U with Asuswrt-Merlin with two Asus ZenWifi Mesh nodes. I am also having optware installed on it with torrent client+OpenVPN server running on it. It is working fine. I realised several times, part of wifi clients are disconnected from unknown reason. I am not sure what is the patter for disconnected clients...are they connected to router ot to mesh nodes. Then I do restart of the system and it is working. Now I am on vacation and I connected to wifi remotely and I see that after several days, there is no wifi client connected, the only exception are the two mesh nodes.
All other services are operating normally on the router.
What should I check? What might be the reason. I am pretty sure, all clients will connect again, after I will do the reboot.
Any idea? Maybe some setting misconfiguration?

I am also adding last part of syslog and also some wifi Logs. Any idea?

Probably need to do more testing to narrow it down. Are the clients actually offline and not pingable? Could be some GUI display issue. Otherwise the logs showing an RSSI of 0 on all clients and some other oddities make me think one of your radios may be dying or the router itself (possibly overheating).

But it is critical to know which nodes the clients are connected to/attempting to connect to.

Is it possible the clients themselves (they look to be similar brand/part of a system) are entering some sort of sleep mode?

Dear drinkingbird,
Thank you for your answers. I will answer/comment to your questions inline with your text.
Probably need to do more testing to narrow it down. Totally agree, but I would like to understand how to test further.
Are the clients actually offline and not pingable? They're offline. They loose connectivity, they don't have IP. Even I tried to connect to wifi and it is not possible through wifi. It looks like one of the wifi radios is down. In case of yesterday all wifi radios were down.
Could be some GUI display issue. I don't think it is only GUI, since it is not possible to have wifi connectivitiy.
Otherwise the logs showing an RSSI of 0 on all clients and some other oddities make me think one of your radios may be dying or the router itself (possibly overheating). Agree with the first half of the sentence, regarding the radios, regarding tempereature not. I am sending router information to influx and based on that, temperature was fine for the last 30 days. Take a look bellow. I am also pasting available memory. It is obvious how memory was decreased after restart yesterday. But I can confirm router was working finr at least by 24th of april....when there was already higher amount of RAM consumed.
1683100595745.png

1683100621122.png

But it is critical to know which nodes the clients are connected to/attempting to connect to. How can I check that?

Is it possible the clients themselves (they look to be similar brand/part of a system) are entering some sort of sleep mode? No. But even if that would be possible for some of the clients....than remaining clients would be connected, while yesterday there was no client connected.
Is it possible, this setting is causing this behaviour:
1683100826891.png

I even managed to find the moment of the problem. From the graph of connected clients it is obvious than clients were disconnected in a moment. Can I know somehow relate and find the reason for that?
1683110671269.png